PDA

View Full Version : Creaking/tinkling sound from rear suspension

goldxc70
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
When I was switching my tires, I noticed a creaking/tinkling sound from the rear suspension on both sides. A search for the source revealed nothing. When I finished the job and sat into the car, I heard it again as I put my weight on the seat. So I got out and pushed on the bumper and there it was again.

Car runs fine (MY04), no binding or brake problems. Handbrake is adjusted and works as it should. Any clues?

Tks.

Ocean Racer
05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
I have the same sound from the front right.
I believe it is from some bushes that have worn out. Im assuming your bushes may be worn too.

goldxc70
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
I have the same sound from the front right.
I believe it is from some bushes that have worn out. Im assuming your bushes may be worn too.

I realize that describing sounds is difficult at the best of times but my noise doesn't sound like worn bushings to me - it's more of a high frequency, tinkling sound. I would describe the worn bushings sound as low frequency, groaning sound.

BillAileo
05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Rear endlinks?

goldxc70
05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Rear endlinks?

If the endlinks were worn, would there be some play at the rotor? While I had the wheels off, I checked to see if there was any play and there was absolutely none.

billr99
05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
If the endlinks were worn, would there be some play at the rotor? While I had the wheels off, I checked to see if there was any play and there was absolutely none.
No, totally unassociated. If you have play at the rear wheel it is a bearing. The endlinks are only associated with the operation of the anti-roll bar and have no other effect on the rear suspension.

Cheers,

Bill

Ocean Racer
05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I know it most likely isnt this, but have you checked to see if everything in the rear is tightened and secure. No tools tapping on metal etc?

duncan
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I'll add a similar riddle for you all, while we're on the topic. When I put the car in reverse and make a slow and sharp corner (backing into a parking spot) my car always makes a single ping sound from the rear, about halfway through the turn. It's quite consistent, but only ever seems to happen in that exact scenario. Any ideas?

BillAileo
05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Endlinks?