PDA

View Full Version : Good independent mechanic in Vancouver, BC area?

rwongbc
05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Suggestions people for someone other than the 3 dealers in town?

I've used Martino's on Clark Drive, just not sure about them. Didn't seem to be much of a discount compared to the dealer.

Thanks,
Richard

bobo9
05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I have used this place on Venables & Clark call Kon Auto Service. The owner used to be a Volvo shop foreman. I bring both my Volvos (94 850 wagon & 04 XC 70) for maint. & repairs. Both the 850 & 760 I had before were bought used, & all the previose owners went to this place for repairs. I have been going there for 3 years now, I find his prices & practice reasonable.

For example, my job is a Service Advisor at a Honda Dealership. Last year my 850 failed Air Care. No problem, took it there he diag. the problem & only charged me for the repair.

If a customer came in for the same thing. I would charge 1.0 for diag. & then tell you how much it would cost to fix.

Also his labor rate is around $80.00/hr.

I am not sure if it is okay to post his Bus. Ph., I can be reached by email
[email protected]

rwongbc
05-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I'll email you, but much appreciated! I know I have to get some brake work, look at the transmission, and just wanted to get a good opinion of someone in town.

Thanks,
Richard

taylor192
01-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Any other recommendations? My GF's 2003 XC70 needs the timing belt done and was quoted $900 from an indy, $450 just for parts!

I can get the parts from FCP for $150-230, yet don't feel comfortable doing this repair myself.

Astro14
01-05-2012, 04:13 PM
No recommendation, wrong coast for me...but make sure that the idler and tensioner are replaced along with the belt. IPD sells a kit....for half of what your indy is quoting....you sure he's not doing the WP at the same time? That would be about right for both jobs...

Would he do the labor if you brought in the parts?

rwongbc
01-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Any other recommendations? My GF's 2003 XC70 needs the timing belt done and was quoted $900 from an indy, $450 just for parts!

I can get the parts from FCP for $150-230, yet don't feel comfortable doing this repair myself.
I have used Kon Auto now on Venables and Clark Drive for a few years and they are great at getting the job done. Not a fancy shop, it looks small from the front but they have I think 5 bays and are always busy so a lot of other Volvo owners must like them as well.

taylor192
01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I have used Kon Auto now on Venables and Clark Drive for a few years and they are great at getting the job done. Not a fancy shop, it looks small from the front but they have I think 5 bays and are always busy so a lot of other Volvo owners must like them as well.
I had read on other forums that the quality at Kon's had gone down cause he had sold the business to a relative. This is not true.

We took it to Kon's and was satisfied with the service. He quoted $430 inc belt/pulley/tensioner and it ended up being $660 cause the water pump was leaking so it was replaced ($190 + $40 labour).

In case others find this thread, I'll post other shops we looked at:

Bill and Water's Garage quoted $520, yet indicated they would not do the work unless the water pump was done too, so add $190 for $710.

Don Docksteader was surprisingly cheap for a stealership. $540 and they said they wouldn't replace the water pump unless necessary.

In the end we chose Kon's cause we need a good indy for other work and heard he is the best in town. He's a bit hard to understand on the phone, yet in person he's much easier to understand. His shop looks dirty and run down, yet he knows his stuff.

taylor192
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Would he do the labor if you brought in the parts?
It is increasingly hard to find shops willing to do this for insurance reasons. It is especially frustrating in Canada as parts are marked up quite a bit and there's a huge savings for taking some time to order parts from the US.

I usually try to DIY just for this reason.

Xilikon
01-10-2012, 07:43 AM
It is increasingly hard to find shops willing to do this for insurance reasons. It is especially frustrating in Canada as parts are marked up quite a bit and there's a huge savings for taking some time to order parts from the US.

I usually try to DIY just for this reason.

True but some will accept it. I know of a shop in my city that accept jobs with me bringing out parts in exchange for a 10$ markup in hourly rate. They also told me that only oem or high-quality aftermarket parts is accepted.

It doesn't hurt to ask and shop around but if you are in a small city, it would be harder indeed to find a shop willing to take parts brought by the customer.

dbelem
01-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Hello Everyone!!! My first post here just to let you know this great place in Vancouver (Burnaby)

We bought our 2002 xc70 at Azro Motors @ Canada Way!!!!

Zohar and his mechanics are great!!!!! The shop is not the cleanest one, but very effective and really good prices!!!

Defenetelly recommend to other people!!! He also as amazing cars for sale @ really good prices