PDA

View Full Version : How many mile for a synetic oil change

seth1065
04-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Quick question, how many miles shold I go between oil changes, 01 xc with 140 k I drive about 1500 miles a month mostly highway, just had the oil changed ($78 bucks non dealer ) and teh sticker says 3,000 miles, but I want the real world number, thanks in advance. ( and I checked the FAQ section before I posted):):)

JRL
04-29-2010, 08:17 PM
City driving 4-5000
Highway driving 57000

sjonnie
04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
5K, maybe less in winter, more in summer.

billr99
04-30-2010, 04:54 AM
Quick question, how many miles shold I go between oil changes, 01 xc with 140 k I drive about 1500 miles a month mostly highway, just had the oil changed ($78 bucks non dealer ) and teh sticker says 3,000 miles, but I want the real world number, thanks in advance. ( and I checked the FAQ section before I posted):):)
I do 10K kms (6200 miles) or 6 months whichever comes first. Other than my 850R (which I ran pretty hard and used 7500 kms), I have used this interval on all my white motor Volvos I've run synoil in. Never had a problems with wear and have put relatively major miles on all of them.

Cheers,

Bill

morregerbert
04-30-2010, 07:55 AM
7500 miles for turbo engine
10000 miles for non turbo
with approved oil for particular make and model and OEM filter.

gibbons
04-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Since about 10K miles when I thought the rings were well seated, I have changed mine every 5K miles up to the current 80K. It uses about less than 1/2 a quart in that amount of miles, that's pretty incredible low usage, especially for a turbo motor. I guess 5K worked for me.

The problem with the longer intervals is that while the oil may still have its lubricity properties and no sludge, but it gets dirty with the tiny particles that the filter can't catch. Longer miles means dirtier which means more abrasive.

tgwillard
04-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I use synthetic and change every 7.5K miles, which is what the owner's manual recommends. If your driving conditions are severe, then shortening the interval would be a good idea.

justthefacts
04-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Mainly city driving, my target is 5000 mi, but it usually ends up being about 6000 mi, using Castrol 0W-30 and Wix filter. I've never had the oil analyzed so just hoping/assuming everything's ok. The first line of defense against dirt and contaminants though is a quality air filter in good condition (no rips/tears).

goldxc70
05-03-2010, 10:10 AM

Volvo Canada recommends 7,500 mile or 12,000 km oil and filter changes. Also, they do not recommend the use of synthetic oil at these intervals.

kamiar
05-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Volvo Canada recommends 7,500 mile or 12,000 km oil and filter changes. Also, they do not recommend the use of synthetic oil at these intervals.

What do you mean by:

Also, they do not recommend the use of synthetic oil at these intervals.

John@CdnRockies
05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Our Calgary dealer is fine with synthetic oil which I have been using since the first change after break-in. I change between 10,000-12,000 km (7,500 miles) of which 90% is highway driving. The car has never required an extra litre/quart at those intervals and we are now at 180,000 km.

John

billr99
05-03-2010, 11:06 AM
What do you mean by:

For what its worth, the manual ("2002 Volvo Cross Country") states:

"Meeting minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/Energy Conserving. Your Volvo V70 has been certified to standards using ILSAC oil specification GF-2 5W/30. Volvo recommends use of oil with a quality rating equal to or higher than ILSAC GF-2. Equivalent and better oils include ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF, and SJ/Energy conserving. Lower quality oils may not offer the same fuel economy, engine performance, or engine protection. Depending on your driving habits, premium or synthetic oils may provide superior fuel economy and engine protection. Consult your Volvo retailer for recommendations on premium or synthetic oils.
Oil additives must not be.

NOTE: Synthetic oil is not used when the oil is changed at the normal maintenance services. This oil is only used at customer request, at additional charge. Please consult your Volvo retailer."

On the one hand, they state that premium or synthetic oils provide superior economy and protection; while on the other, that they will only use it at the customer's request. So with these statements, if you don't request it, the dealer will use the cheap stuff that will cost you more eventually in increased fuel consumption and a trashed motor. Bottom line, use synoil of the appropriate grade and spec and don't worry about it.

Cheers,

Bill

goldxc70
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
What do you mean by:

As Bill posted, here is the extract from the user manual:

NOTE: Synthetic oil is not used when the oil is changed at the normal maintenance services. This oil is only used at customer request, at additional charge. Please consult your Volvo retailer.

What I understand this to say is that synthetic oil is not required if you're going to change at the regular service intervals. But if you're willing to pay more, your dealer will use it.

lexefx
05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Between 5-6K miles. Blackstone labs says 5900, but we'll have to see with the new T6 formulation of Shell Rotella. Rotella 5/40 has been rocking out in our cars, and bikes!

Rotella 5/40 is worth consideration, excelent value, and widley available!

Alex

Skid_o
05-05-2010, 06:54 AM
If you are going to take extracts from the manual take all of them from the same page.
“Depending on your driving habits, premium or synthetic oils may provide superior fuel economy and engine protection. Consult your Volvo retailer for recommendations on premium or synthetic oils.”
Extreme Engine Operation
“Synthetic oils meeting SAE 10w-30 and complying with oil quality requirements are recommended for driving in areas of sustained temperatures extremes (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, and for prolonged driving in mountainous areas.”
Got this out of my 2006 Owner’s Manual XC70

billr99
05-05-2010, 08:02 AM
If you are going to take extracts from the manual take all of them from the same page.
“Depending on your driving habits, premium or synthetic oils may provide superior fuel economy and engine protection. Consult your Volvo retailer for recommendations on premium or synthetic oils.”
Extreme Engine Operation
“Synthetic oils meeting SAE 10w-30 and complying with oil quality requirements are recommended for driving in areas of sustained temperatures extremes (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, and for prolonged driving in mountainous areas.”
Got this out of my 2006 Owner’s Manual XC70
That was the complete quote from the '02 manual. Obviously, Volvo has changed their thinking on the matter as more and more OEMs go to synoil factory fills. Its interesting that they just don't specify an appropriate SAE spec (most extreme conditions, for example) and just leave it at that, synoil or dino. But I guess they figure most folks don't read their oil bottles that close and just specify a commonly available grade.

Cheers,

Bill

haute
05-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Between 5-6K miles. Blackstone labs says 5900, but we'll have to see with the new T6 formulation of Shell Rotella. Rotella 5/40 has been rocking out in our cars, and bikes!

Rotella 5/40 is worth consideration, excelent value, and widley available!

Alex

+1 for Shell Rotella 5/40. I use it in my '95 Pathfinder which tows a trailer 3-4 days/week. I will be switching our '06 XC70 over to it in a matter of "when I have the time in the next week or two" to do an oil change.

A lot of Subaru racing guys use the Rotella 5/40 in their turbo'd STi's. The Rotella 5/40 can take a lot of abuse.

The German Castrol 0W30 is also an outstanding syn, and I have been slowly stock piling it in my garage for fear it will no longer be available one day soon.

If anyone is changing out syn oil at 5,000 mi, they're basically pissing money away. They are designed to go much longer than that, especially the HDEO oils like the Shell Rotella 5/40.

Go check out BobIsTheOilGuy... everything and far more than you ever wanted to know about oils, filters, and lubes.

lexefx
05-12-2010, 06:53 AM
A lot of Subaru racing guys use the Rotella 5/40 in their turbo'd STi's. The Rotella 5/40 can take a lot of abuse.

They are designed to go much longer than that, especially the HDEO oils like the Shell Rotella 5/40.

Go check out BobIsTheOilGuy... everything and far more than you ever wanted to know about oils, filters, and lubes.

1+ BlackStone Lab (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) does a great job for me helping me to understand my car/ oil's potential.

Alex