PDA

View Full Version : SPAMBOTS notice

Forkster
04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Folks,

We're noticing an increase in the number of 'spambots' that have managed to register accounts on the site. How you can tell a spambot vs a real person?

1. They reply with just text of a previous message - but their signature has a lot of links in it.
2. They reply with text that add 0-value to the conversation. Like "I reallly agree with your position." or "I love this site". And they have maybe 3 or 4 postings all with the same/similiar comments.
3. Their posting contains a lot of links to non-volvo items.

I know, sometimes our postings look like bot-stuff but we check to ensure they are not a real person. I often send a private message with a "hey, nice to meet you. Can you reply with Volvo-Rule! in a messgae?

99.9999% of the time no-response as the emails are just collectors for other forums they've infiltrated.

So, we need your help by reporting these spambots. Just click on the infraction image here -> http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/images/buttons/infraction.gif and the site moderators will address it.

Ocean Racer
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Keep up the good work [thumbup]

I don't miss being an administrator to 2 other forums and moderator to another 3. I hated clearing SPAM accounts and deleting 15-20 new spambots each day. [nonono]

Hopefully a newer version of phpBB will come out to prevent such bots from registering ;)