PDA

View Full Version : Running Board - recommended?

orlimar105
04-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Thinking about installing the stock running boards when I take my car in for servicing this week. Other than the improved looks, thinking they will obviously help when I wash and load the roof and help the kids climb in. However, slightly concerned that they will be get in the way (i.e. hit the back of the leg) when adults are getting in and out of the car. Any views? Also, should I go for the rubber step pads?

Also, is it possible to install aluminum roof rails (rather than the black plastic ones that came with my 2.5T model) an aftermarket option? Seemingly only available on the high end models.

Thanks.

dmd
04-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Most say the boards are only good for getting your pants leg dirty.

BikerJohn
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
I just installed my new running boards two weeks ago and love it. They do touch the back of your legs when you get out. Not too bad on the way in.
I decided to get mine since I have a roof top bike carrier and needed the extra height for loading and unloading.
The new ones that are sold come with the rubber steps in the box; you just have to install them.
My dealer(in Canada) wanted $1200 + tax installed. I found a seller on eBay distributing them starting at $550 US. I ended up getting mine for $575+$40 shipping and installed them myself.
I do like how it trims off the rocker panel area and is a nice finishing touch IMO.

Shadows
10-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Thinking about installing the stock running boards when I take my car in for servicing this week. Other than the improved looks, thinking they will obviously help when I wash and load the roof and help the kids climb in. However, slightly concerned that they will be get in the way (i.e. hit the back of the leg) when adults are getting in and out of the car. Any views? Also, should I go for the rubber step pads?

I bought my XC90 used, and without the running boards. But I bought them shortly after. And I haven't regret it. It looks nice, helps the kids in back to get out, and they protects my doors to get hit by other doors slamming up in mine at parkingplaces. (some doors that is [happy])
Since mine is 05-model, I have looked on the new alu sideprotection panel at the new R-design models. But I think I will stick with the boards, looks more rough, and is more usefull everyday
Abouts the black pads,.. In mine opion, then they break the visual lines of the car and is of not practial value.

Also, is it possible to install aluminum roof rails (rather than the black plastic ones that came with my 2.5T model) an aftermarket option? Seemingly only available on the high end models.

Why buy new ones? They are already there.[cool2]

I did a little DYI on it.

After I read a DIY guide on a swedish site http://www.svxc.se/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15193&start=45 then it isn't so hard.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm248/Shadowsdog/rails.jpg

First you dismantle the rails, the ends is released from the long rails.
The black paint is grinded with sandpaper 60, then sandpaper 100 - 240 - 340. And at the end a couple of long strokes with 240 to get a look of long factory look stripes in the metal. Use only grinding in one way, that is the long way. The you put wax on the bare aluminium.

And this what i looks like:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm248/Shadowsdog/IMG_1018.jpg