PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise when cold

Pat
09-24-2002, 12:11 PM
My new 2002 XC has been making a ticking noise when cold pretty much since day 1.  During our test drive when I asked the sales person if there had been any issues or recalls on the 2002, he did say that some of them are coming in with bad serpentine belts, causing a ticking noise on startup.  

he didn't think my card had this problem, but when it did manifest itself he was quick to get it in for replacement of the serpentine belt.

Unfortunately that didn't fix it.  i brought it back and they changed the belt again, theorizing that they had received a whole batch of "bad" belts (I guess you can't tell they are bad by looking at them??).  On this second round, they also said they saw some corrosion on the pulleys which they cleaned up.

That cleared the problem up for about a week, and now it is back, albeit not as bad.  The ticking is a little bit quieter, and clears up faster...after maybe 2 blocks of driving as opposed to maybe a quarter mile on the prior belts.  So I am considering bringing it back for a third round in the shop, probably requiring an overnight stay so they can hear the problems for themselves when it starts cold.  Hassle.

Anyone else had this problem?  Is it really the serpentine belt?  After two belt changes I am starting to suspect this theory.

-Pat

Hiro's XC
09-24-2002, 07:45 PM
I have a similar noise that just developed in the last 4 days. After pokinh around with an automotive stetascope i have determined that the noise is the power seeering pump and not the belt. I'm going to make te bastards, opps, i mean the dealer fix it. Sorry, some tire issues have really @#$$@#$ me off with them.

Jason