PDA

View Full Version : Woot! - my alternator

sjonnie
04-11-2010, 10:57 AM
So I'm driving along and suddenly I notice the 'low battery voltage' warning has come on. Crap. I drive home and about 1/2 a mile from home the transmission goes into limp mode, the ABS warning light and the SRS warning light come on and I'm like, crap! Make it home and turn of the car, try to restart, dead battery. Recharged it overnight, 13.5V all is good. Hook it up to the car and it starts up fine, no warnings. Check the voltage, 12V. Hmmm, run the car at 2500rpm, still 12V. My alternator's shot right?

duncan
04-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Yep, sure sounds like it. Mine puts out 14 something volts at idle, as I recall.

sjonnie
04-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, got a new one from NAPA, Bosch brand, Volvo sticker and part number on it even. However, when reinstalling the alternator I have my torque wrench set at 20ft lbs for the bolts. I'm tightening the lower left one on the A/C compressor and BANG :eek:! It shears off before I even get it to 20, grrrr [cussing]

So, do I run with just the three bolts holding it on or take the whole freakin' compressor off to get an easy out in there to extract the bolt? I guess I have to get it to an A/C place to drain the Freon anyway, I'm sure it's not possible to do that with the compressor in place, darn, the whole front end might have to come off to get the drill & easy out in there. Dang it!

[cussing]

n00bkiller944
04-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Honestly, I would probably just run it with the three bolts...

linmatz
02-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, got a new one from NAPA, Bosch brand, Volvo sticker and part number on it even.
[cussing]

I know this post is a bit older, however, I am looking for the exact part number, Bosch part number, actually any information about the alternator.

I just bought a M/Y 2001 V70 XC and love it big times. Bad luck though that after just four weeks the alternator said good bye to me. Here in Australia I got told so far, that there are no spare alternators on the market and that one would have to get an alternator from a Volvo dealer.

Also, another place dealing with used and reconditioned alternators quoted me $440 (2nd hand) and $660 (reconditioned, incl warranty). I'm shocked! I paid way less for alternators in the past on other cars. Can you guys confirme these prices?

Cheers ... btw this forums looks awesome. As a new xc owner I bet I'll spend more time here in the future

Astro14
02-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I was able to get the alternator rebuilt by a local electric shop for about $125 US. Nothing special about the Bosch rectifier or voltage regulator, they're quite common as are the brushes and bearings. Any good specialty automotive electric repair shop should be able to rebuild it by replacing those parts, turning the armature and checking the windings...but a good repair shop of that kind is usually only found in a large metropolitan area...

So, if you've not got one where you are, then I would try both IPD and FCP Groton to see what their overseas shipping charges are.

www.ipdusa.com
http://www.fcpgroton.com

The prices you've been quoted are exorbitant...here in the States, the dealer quoted $450 US for the part...still not as bad as you've been quoted... particularly since the current exchange rate is about even for the US and AUS Dollar...and not only have I paid less for alternators...I have paid less for whole cars!

Checking the IPD site - the brush pack/regulator is about $62. If your armature is in good shape and the bearings are OK, that may be all you need to revive it...a good shop or indie mechanic will be able to tell you that on disassembly...on my old 240, you could do the brushes without even pulling the alternator off the car...

JayPinNC
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I know this post is a bit older, however, I am looking for the exact part number, Bosch part number, actually any information about the alternator.

I just bought a M/Y 2001 V70 XC and love it big times. Bad luck though that after just four weeks the alternator said good bye to me. Here in Australia I got told so far, that there are no spare alternators on the market and that one would have to get an alternator from a Volvo dealer.

Also, another place dealing with used and reconditioned alternators quoted me $440 (2nd hand) and $660 (reconditioned, incl warranty). I'm shocked! I paid way less for alternators in the past on other cars. Can you guys confirme these prices?

Cheers ... btw this forums looks awesome. As a new xc owner I bet I'll spend more time here in the future

Did you have any warning that the alternator was on the way out?

When my car starts, the lights are at one brightness and about 5 seconds later they get brighter.

I asked my mechanic about it once and he said it had something to do with a clutch in the alternator catching and that it was normal.

linmatz
02-08-2011, 11:59 PM
@Astro14: Well, it indeed looks like getting a rebuild alternator shipped over from the states is heaps cheaper. Will have an auto electrician checking the car tomorrow just to be certain it is indeed the regulator.

@JayPinNC: Well, I head an "Over Voltage" message and the aircon unit turning itself on and off repeatingly. Half a day later the car didn't start up anymore. I jump started it and everything was Ok for 20 min. Then I got a "Low voltage" message and 3 min later I broke down.