PDA

View Full Version : ETM problems and TNN25-149A

jpnovak
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I have a 2003 V70 (not XC) with the 2.4T drivetrain. I currently have 95K miles. The V70XC has the same motor and so I thought this would be the best place for information.

The car has had "reduced performance mode" issues approximately 6X in the last year. Obviously, driving 5mph to a save place doesn't please my wife. The past few times I get the same code from my OBDII reader

P2135 - TPS ratio error
P0221 TPS switch range
P2111 Throttle actuator control stuck open

Usually I can shut the car off, clear the codes, power cycle the ignition and drive the car as normal. I have pulled and cleaned the ETM unit although it was not very dirty.

Most recently (today on the way to pick up my son from school) I noticed a lot of throttle flutter and hesitation. About 2 blocks later the car shut down as I was entering an on-ramp.

I found a post in the archives that had a link to TNN25-149A.

http://volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/fuel-system-electronic-throttle-system-troubleshooting.pdf"

This lists what appear to be VADIS codes not standard DTC OBDII code numbers. They are grouped and represent a particular fault trace to solve the problem. Does anyone have a cross reference between these code sets?

The reason I ask is there is some good information related to connection grounds, voltage interrupts and other potential modes of failure for the later ETM. One line in particular describes where a short power interruption to the throttle enables the limp mode.

My local dealer was un-sympathetic to the issues with my car, so - F-em! My local independent says this should be a dealer issue for potential warranty. I am stuck in the middle with an unreliable car.

What are my options going forward from those who have faced similar problems. Have you found a cause? What was the fix?

Just looking for where to start.

howardc64
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately, when it comes to the electronics in these cars, sometimes it can be difficult to figure out the fault. We can't see how the internal software logic works.

As far as I know, the TNN you got is for the throttle design that precede your car. 03 turbos have a Bosch design which doesn't seem to have as many problems as the 01 turbos.

One question is

- You pulled these codes. Are they stored and can be pulled again by the dealer? Or are they erased on your next drive cycle?

If there are codes, the dealer should be able to give you a repair estimate. But don't be surprised if dealer also can't isolate the precise fault on some of these problems. Diagnosing these electronic codes without detailed software internal workings can turn into "swap parts" until its fixed. If the dealer suspect it is the ETM, quote will be probably close to $1000 to fix.

I have to imagine if the code is present at the dealer, they should be able to give a repair estimate. If not, go to another dealer. They will probably charge you some diagnostic fee tho ($50 for 1/2 hour if you are lucky)