PDA

View Full Version : REV-clunk

Sasquatch
03-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Going slowly (maybe 25) up a decent hill, the car suddenly revved then a clunk and kept going. It didn't throw any codes, but with the known transmission issues, has me worried. Should I unload the 82,000 mile beast?

Adrian
03-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Did it change gear?

JRL
03-02-2010, 04:57 AM
That's the first bad tranny sign

XC70_D5_Sweden
03-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Could be a not functioning AWD? Heard a similar story here in sweden, and it was the Haldex that was misfunctioning, resulting in a "clunking sound" when trying to engage it. It was just a bad awd-sensor in his case.

jda2000
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
don't panic.

Get under the car, and check the tranny mount. Mine was riding on metal, rubber bushing was gone.

Also do a drain and fill to the tranny.

Forkster
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Sasq - what year is your XC70?

You could spend tens of thousands on a newer vehicle or spend a few thousand on a new transmission (which is many times cheaper).

Just something to think about.

Aviator
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Going slowly (maybe 25) up a decent hill, the car suddenly revved then a clunk and kept going. It didn't throw any codes, but with the known transmission issues, has me worried. Should I unload the 82,000 mile beast?

A patch of ice perhaps??

Dave.

Sasquatch
03-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Did it change gear?

It stayed in D.

That's the first bad tranny sign

I've had an electronic fix already.

don't panic.

Get under the car, and check the tranny mount. Mine was riding on metal, rubber bushing was gone.

Also do a drain and fill to the tranny.

I think it is time for the old trade in.

Sasq - what year is your XC70?

You could spend tens of thousands on a newer vehicle or spend a few thousand on a new transmission (which is many times cheaper).

Just something to think about.

If I spent thousands of dollars, I would have a 9 year old gas pig with a broken radio, expensive repairs, little cargo room, and a tire and brake eater. Time for me to move on, I think.

A patch of ice perhaps??

Dave.

No, that was the first thing I looked for, but the entire road was dry.

JRL
03-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Little cargo room?????:confused:

Sasquatch
03-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Little cargo room?????:confused:

OK, have you ever gone away with 4 people for a weekend? It starts getting cramped. Let alone if you have any sort of gear you would like to bring along (4 sets of ski boots, or climbing gear, or fishing gear). This is all without the addition of a family dog. Heck, it will do OK for groceries, but so would have my '92 Civic hatchback.

I mean S-P-A-C-E like in a week's vacation with camping gear, hunting gear, fishing gear, whatever type of activity you want. A Tahoe would swallow most of this up, and a Suburban even more so. This is with 100-200 more horsepower and roughly the same gas mileage.