PDA

View Full Version : Transmission issues - ATF spec

jmoser
02-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, I e-mailed Mobil 1 about ATF fluid for the XC.  I got a reply from Mobil 1 tech service.  Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is not recommended for the Volvo V70XC application, you should use dealer supplied fluid.  So - I think better safe than sorry, pay the piper and buy the Volvo mystery fluid for your own ATF flush and fill projects.  (Mine is a 2001 Cross Country, I specified this in my inquiry.  Don't know if other models vary.)

I will get some Volvo spec ATF, I ordered an in line mag filter from IPD.  When I get time I will see how I do replacing the fluid and report results.

cschmelz
02-04-2004, 08:56 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jmoser @ Feb. 02 2004,11:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just out of curiosity, I e-mailed Mobil 1 about ATF fluid for the XC. I got a reply from Mobil 1 tech service. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is not recommended for the Volvo V70XC application, you should use dealer supplied fluid. So - I think better safe than sorry, pay the piper and buy the Volvo mystery fluid for your own ATF flush and fill projects. (Mine is a 2001 Cross Country, I specified this in my inquiry. Don&#39;t know if other models vary.)

I will get some Volvo spec ATF, I ordered an in line mag filter from IPD. When I get time I will see how I do replacing the fluid and report results.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Volvo doesn&#39;t PUBLISH what spec their overpriced fluid is, so it is impossible for anyone to know if their fluid is approved or applicable....

Again, I used Amsoil synthetic and think that Mobil 1 would be great as well, but you gotta do what you are comfortable with..

jmoser
02-05-2004, 08:22 AM
I do have a Volvo Tech Service Bulletin warning against using other Dextron spec fluids in the XC&#39;s Aisin tranny. &nbsp;I don&#39;t think they publish internal TSBs like that without good reason. &nbsp;Syn fluids like Mobil 1 often meet multiple OEM specs (like Mercon and Dextron, etc.) but I just want to make sure before I pour it in.

I was thinking of trying Aisin tech service - maybe they will send me a spec of compatible ATF fluids for the XC tranny model. &nbsp;I have the Aisin trans model number at home - when I remember to copy it down I will try and e-mail Aisin directly.

cschmelz
02-05-2004, 04:05 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jmoser @ Feb. 05 2004,07:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do have a Volvo Tech Service Bulletin warning against using other Dextron spec fluids in the XC&#39;s Aisin tranny. I don&#39;t think they publish internal TSBs like that without good reason. Syn fluids like Mobil 1 often meet multiple OEM specs (like Mercon and Dextron, etc.) but I just want to make sure before I pour it in.

I was thinking of trying Aisin tech service - maybe they will send me a spec of compatible ATF fluids for the XC tranny model. I have the Aisin trans model number at home - when I remember to copy it down I will try and e-mail Aisin directly.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, they won&#39;t...But best of luck with that....