PDA

View Full Version : Headlight lenses clouded on inside

Glidewide
02-27-2010, 01:47 PM
I have a 2005 XC70. Both headlight lenses are clouded on the inside (they appear to be plastic--not glass). If I am ambitious enough to remove the headlight assembly, will I be able to remove the front of the lens and clean/polish it, or is it sealed and not reachable? Thanks, all guidance is appreciated.

tgwillard
02-27-2010, 07:55 PM
My wife's 2005 S80 has glass lenses and my 2006 XC70 has plastic ones. But either way I believe the only access to the inside of either lens assembley is through the hole for the bulb. Perhaps you could find a small diameter flexible plastic tubing and attach (firmly) a small piece of cloth. Then remove the bulb and see if you can reach the inside front of the lens.

BillAileo
02-27-2010, 08:02 PM
One of the glass lenses on our '05 S80 was hit by a rock and I bought an aftermarket replacement lens. I learned it is possible to remove and replace the lens but it was one big project to do so.

Glidewide
02-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks Bill and TG. I appreciate the response. I suspect that I will be monitoring the salvage yards for complete headlight assemblies.

jerrysvr
02-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I too have a cloudy film inside both my headlights which I think cut down the light output (my dipped beam is awful, lights up the carriageway just in front of the car but has no length/depth) main beam is OK though.
The fog lights even with uprated bulbs are not worth a light, just awful.
A local dealer workshop forman explained that he had cleaned a customer's vehicle by:
first removing the headlights (that meant taking the bumper off) then carefully heating up the sealant around the light with a heat gun (used to take paint off wood) but on the low setting. This meant that the lens could be peeled away from the back (very messy and extremely sticky).
Lens cleaned and new mastic (in the form of a thin round string like strip) applied back to form the seal.
All to then be replaced, sounds like a very long job which I haven't tackled, and maybe will never do.
I hope this gives you an idea of the trouble it is going to be.
JR

Glidewide
02-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks JR. Not sure if I have the initative and skill to take on the task but I appreciate the information.