PDA

View Full Version : Kissed a curb this AM, AWD or bearing grinding

Q-ship
02-26-2010, 11:34 AM
So expert driver kissed a curb today. Hit front drivers wheel, got about 6" of curb rash on the lip. Here's the thing, I now have a vibration (sounds like a bad wheel bearing), car pulls to the right, and alignment is Definitley off.
Front wheels appear straight, steering wheel is about 11o clock.
What does the group think (this is my first AWD), probably wheel bearing rubbing, or is the AWD groaning tring to balance the left and front rotations since LF is out of alignment?
Is is going to damage the AWD if so? If its just the bearing I'll drive lightly, then replace next week.
Thoughts?

Allen
02-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Groaning sounds are usually a bad bearing.

Forkster
02-26-2010, 02:10 PM
What Allen said plus u need to check:
* steering rack
Control arm
Tie-rod
Axel
(all left side of course). And ensure your rim isn't bent. This is a big pits but if u repair these items now ill save future money as if any of those items are bent/damaged they'll cause wear on the other components.

Skid_o
02-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Been there done that. It is not cheap.

Q-ship
02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Well got it on the lift, grinding (more of a circular humm actually) noise was from tires being cocked sideways. They are after all truck tires (toyo open countries)
While driving straight if I went through a patch of snow the car tried to pull right. While taking a curve hitting a patch of snow the wheels tracked true. Nothing else seemed bent, and nothing was broken. I honestly did not hit going that fast, so I guess I got off with just my mildly bent/rashed rim (rebalanced I dont even feel it) and 4 wheel alignment.

:mad: to :D to just plain:o now.

Thanks all.