PDA

View Full Version : suspension maintenance options

jadnhm
02-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Hello folks,

I'm just doing some digging for suspension maintenance that I expect I'll be tackling within the next year.

My car is a 1998 V70 AWD (so not the XC70 trim package but the suspension and AWD are all the same).

There seem to be a number of options for front struts - IPD and FCP all sell the usual OEM Sachs, as well as Bilstein Touring, Bilstein HD, and then the expensive stuff (Koni models).

The Bilstein Tourings are not that much more expensive than the OEM Sachs. The HDs are really not that much more expensive than those.

Which is the best pick for the AWD cars? I'm looking for a touring style suspension, so I'm leaning towards the Bilstein Tourings right now.

Has anyone had any experience with the other brands out there?
I think CarQuest sells Gabriel.
I think NAPA sells Monroe (which I can get at Canadian Tire as well, which is great because they actually put this stuff on sale sometimes!). I also think Monroe offers a lifetime warranty.

How much better are the Bilsteins than what I might get from Gabriel or Monroe? And how are they better - longevity/durability? cornering? Sportier only?

Any opinions are appreciated.

In addition I am wondering about the upper spring seats.

I have read that the original design was flawed (to say the least), but IPD's website says this part was replaced with one of a new design. They also state that their HD version is better still.

Also I have read that first-gen XC90 spring seats can be used.

Which is to be considered the better/more durable option - IPD HDs or the XC90s version?

Also, can the XC90's strut bearing/mount be used in the x70 series cars? If so, is there any advantage to this? (ie: are they tougher in any way?)

I have also been wondering about the rear shock mounts - any advice on the 'best' version of these?

I'm specifically looking for advice related to the AWD cars for all of this. The car is primarily a tourer, but I do need the slight ground clearance advantage of the AWD suspension.

Again - any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JRL
02-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Which is the best pick for the AWD cars? I'm looking for a touring style suspension, so I'm leaning towards the Bilstein Tourings right now.

WELL, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE REAR NIVOMAT (SPRINGS AND SHOCKS) YOU CAN USE ANY SHOCK/STRUT COMBO THAT'S AVAILABLE.
IF YOU DO, (HAVE NIVOS) YOU CAN ONLY REPLACE THE FRONTS. IT WAS OPTIONAL ON YOUR CAR SO YOU NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT YOU HAVE

Has anyone had any experience with the other brands out there?
I think CarQuest sells Gabriel.
I think NAPA sells Monroe (which I can get at Canadian Tire as well, which is great because they actually put this stuff on sale sometimes!). I also think Monroe offers a lifetime warranty.

I WOULD STICK WITH EITHER BILSTEIN TOURING OR KONI SPORT YELLOWS

How much better are the Bilsteins than what I might get from Gabriel or Monroe? And how are they better - longevity/durability? cornering? Sportier only?

GABRIEL/MONROE ARE ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE OEM SACHS, BILSTEINS ARE MUCH "CHOPPIER" BUT THE TOURINGS ARE OK, THE HD'S (IMO) ARE WAY TOO ROUGH

In addition I am wondering about the upper spring seats.

I have read that the original design was flawed (to say the least), but IPD's website says this part was replaced with one of a new design. They also state that their HD version is better still.

THE IPD SEATS ARE GREAT AS ARE THE XC90.
I'VE USED BOTH BUT DO NOT KNOW HOW LONG EITHER WILL LAST

Also I have read that first-gen XC90 spring seats can be used.

DO NOT KNOW, THESE RARELY FAIL

Which is to be considered the better/more durable option - IPD HDs or the XC90s version?

SAME IMO

I have also been wondering about the rear shock mounts - any advice on the 'best' version of these?

THERE IS ONLY ONE TO USE, OEM VOLVO

jadnhm
02-26-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the super reply JRL.

Your advice about the different strut options makes sense.

Gabriel/Monroe ~= OEM Sachs/Boge.
Looks like Bilstein Tourings are my preferred option, as long as I don't have some compelling reason to buy the Gabriel/Monroes.

Sounds like it doesn't make much difference whether I get the IPD HD spring seats or the XC90 ones. I'll get whichever one makes the most sense logistically when I order (ie: if I'm already ordering struts from FCP I might as well get the XC90 ones, etc).

One thing your reply did not address is the question of whether the XC90 strut mount/bearing will work on the P1 cars like mine, and whether this provides any benefit (ie: are they stronger in any way?). Any advice anyone has on this would be very helpful.

Here are links to each of them on FCP's website:

P1 V70 : http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/6682/nm/Volvo_V70_OEM_Front_Strut_Mount_1998_2000_/category_id/185

P2 XC90: http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/17265/nm/Volvo_XC90_Front_Strut_Mount/category_id/185

Strangely enough, it looks like (from FCP's website) that the 2001 XC70 used the same strut mount/bearing as the 1998-2000 cars did, and they changed to the same mount/bearing as the XC90 for 2002-2006.

so I made a little chart:

--Model----mount/bearing---------spring seat
1993 850----3546189----------------8646713
thru
1997 850----3546189----------------8646713
1998 XC70---3546189----------------8646713
1999 XC70---3546189----------------8646713
2000 XC70---3546189----------------8646713
2001 XC70---3546189----------------8646713
2002 XC70---8634457,30714968-------8646713
2003+XC70---8634457,30714968-------8646713
2003+XC90---8634457,30714968-------30683637

(sorry for all the '-'s - it was the only way to make it format like a table)

The changes in part numbers don't seem to coincide with actual model updates/changes.

I would have expected there to be a difference between 2000 and 2001, but there isn't.
I would not have expected a difference between 2001 and 2002, but there IS.
I would not have been terribly surprised to see a difference between 2004 and 2005, but there isn't.
I would not have been surprised to see a difference between the XC70 and the XC90, but there isn't.
Also, they used the same spring seat from the 1993 850 through the 2007 XC70. (:eek:)

I'm wondering if the 2003+ XC90 part can be used on the 1998-2000 cars and if there is any advantage or disadvantage to doing that. Presumably the newer part is better is some way(s?). Judging from my list of part numbers and application it doesn't appear that there should be any reason why the later part numbers won't fit on the earlier cars. Actually according to this information the spring seat and strut bearing/mount from a 2008 XC90 should work on a 1993 850 if you can believe that.

Any ideas about this?

Thanks again.

JRL
02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I thought I did.
The answer is I don't know.
These RARELY fail, (I've replaced one set in all these cars I've owned and sold and those really did not have to be replaced.
It was my being a novice at the time and just replaced everything).
They're very expensive and all the aftermarket ones are crap so you need to use OEM Volvo, at over $60+ apiece, I wouldn't, unless you know for sure they're bad.
When apart just carefully look at them. They may look awful but if that center bearing is OK the entire plate is OK unless it's all rusted and falling apart.