PDA

View Full Version : When did you need a new exhaust?

levpri
02-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi everybody. My 02 with 68K miles started to make an exhaust noise from the middle muffler. Just wondering when and at what mileage you needed a replacement and the cost. Is it OK just to replace partially and with no OEM parts? Thanks.

billr99
02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi everybody. My 02 with 68K miles started to make an exhaust noise from the middle muffler. Just wondering when and at what mileage you needed a replacement and the cost. Is it OK just to replace partially and with no OEM parts? Thanks.

I lost the stainless steel shell at 175K kms. Fo some reason, it made the car louder even though the inner canister was still exhaust-tight. I replaced mine with a Magnaflow which made the car a bit quieter than stock under cruise but gave it a nice edge under throttle. Of course, you could go the JRL-mod too which is pretty expedient and cost-effective.

Cheers,

Bill

slowflyer
02-26-2010, 03:57 PM
215K mi, still have the original exhaust

levpri
02-27-2010, 12:10 PM
215K mi, still have the original exhaust

Wow, I'm impressed. I wonder if those frequent car washes with undercarriage wash during the winter actually do more harm to metal/steel than good.

JRL
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. I wonder if those frequent car washes with undercarriage wash during the winter actually do more harm to metal/steel than good.
NO
It helps tremendously, it's just water
It does work and wash the new salt off, but if you're in a salt area it still willeventually blow out, (rust and crack).

An exhaust system is not a lifetime part, by nature it usually needs to be replaced at least once in a car's lifetime.
Volvo middle resonators seems to go anytime after about 100K in the NE.
There is no aftermartket direct replacement by if you do the "JRL mod", just weld a piece or straight pipe there.

Cost?
About $40-$60. It's not particularly any louder and will save you HUNDREDS of dollars.

I just did this with a V70 T5 and was surprised how quiet it still is. [thumbup]

slowflyer
02-27-2010, 01:40 PM

1. The car spent most of its life in dry Colorado.

2. I washed it, including the undercarriage frequently in the winter because CO uses mag. chloride on the roads.

3. I think it might need the JRL mod now but I just ordered a 2010 (T6 :D) yesterday so I won't put any extra repairs into this one.

billr99
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
It does work and wash the new salt off, but if you're in a salt area it still willeventually blow out, (rust and crack).
[thumbup]
That's what happened to mine. A few years in N. Ontario where you get at least 5 months of road salt and the last couple of years here with salt air year around and road salt for at least 3 months a year. The seam weld on the stainless cover is what goes first. At that point, the cover just falls off leaving the mild steel inner canister exposed to the elements.

So the thing let go in 7 years. Interestingly, the exhaust on my 850R was never changed and I traded it in for my XC (:() when it was 12 years old, most of that being driven in N. Ontario. The only work I ever had done was to re-do the rear hangers on that one, even the rubber hangers were original. On my V70, pretty much the same story with the only repair being to replace the flange gasket between the converter and the mid-muffler. All the cans being solid at 10 years when I got rid of that car.

So the P2s have stainless covers on their cans but they apparently don't do much for corrosion resistence and could even shorten the life the system versus the old ones. :confused:

Cheers,

Bill

Chilled Man
02-27-2010, 05:37 PM
when I relized my 3" DP wouldnt connect to it .... :D

levpri
04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Question to experts. I finally took my car (02) to service and asked if only the front muffler can be replaced. I was told 'no', explained that Volvo does not make anymore the exact exhaust parts and everything has to be replaced.
Which I reluctantly agreed to. Is it true or not?
Thanks.

billr99
04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Question to experts. I finally took my car (02) to service and asked if only the front muffler can be replaced. I was told 'no', explained that Volvo does not make anymore the exact exhaust parts and everything has to be replaced.
Which I reluctantly agreed to. Is it true or not?
Thanks.
That's BS even if you went to the dealer. The "official" replacement bits, according to VADIS/VIDA, shows two pieces. A bit between the cat and the rear muffler containing the centre can. Then the rear muffler. And I can tell you they are not cheap.

Now if you just want to get the job done either have a muffler shop cut the centre muffler out and replace it with a straight pipe or use a Magaflow. But in any case, you don't need to do the while deal from the cat on back. Whoever told you that was trying to get $1000 out of you.

Cheers,

Bill

levpri
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
That's BS even if you went to the dealer. The "official" replacement bits, according to VADIS/VIDA, shows two pieces. A bit between the cat and the rear muffler containing the centre can. Then the rear muffler. And I can tell you they are not cheap.

Now if you just want to get the job done either have a muffler shop cut the centre muffler out and replace it with a straight pipe or use a Magaflow. But in any case, you don't need to do the while deal from the cat on back. Whoever told you that was trying to get $1000 out of you.

Cheers,

Bill

Yeah, I kind of thought so, but it's OK. Now, I have all new OEM exhaust from cat to back. :)
Thanks Bill!

XC70dave2002
06-26-2010, 04:45 PM
mine failed last week, 189,000 miles. did not feel like replacing it so the middle muffler was replaced with straight pipe and same with the rear muffler. sound soo nice

skibo
07-11-2010, 08:07 PM
you replaced both mufflers with straight pipes?

skibo
07-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I just took a look at the Walker Exhaust online catalog, and they show an intermediate pipe, with resonator, that goes from the converter to the muffler - part 47822. The equivelent part for the V70 is 47831 and seems to be just a pipe w/o the resonator. I see both online for $US 50-55. Perhaps a better option that having something fabricated.

The Walker muffler is $US 500 - 700, depending on the site.