PDA

View Full Version : dashboard/gauge lights out

cindiana
02-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Yesterday my 1999 Volvo xc70 car slowed and chugged and then died. The fuel gauge still read that I had gas, about a 1/4 tank. I thought that the problem was my alternator as this is how my former Volvo (a 740 Turbo) behaved when I had an alternator problem. Anyway, I get it towed to my mechanic, and it turns out that my car was out of gas. Now the analog fuel gauge seems okay, but it is at full, but the digital gauge that tells you how many miles you have to go before running out of gas is wonky.
I can live without a fuel gauge for a while, but the fuel gauge light is now out, not sure if it was out before the 'incident'. Could these things be related?
How do I replace the bulb for my fuel gauge? And what type of bulb will I need? Once I get the panel out, shoudl I just replace all the bulbs? Which, what kind of and how many? I don't want to drive around with my dashboard in my lap looking for the right bulb.
I appreciate any help you can give me.
I can usually fix my lawnmower, computer, snowblower etc-not sure if this is something I should do myself.

Rew177
02-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Obviously your fuel gauge is on it's way out. The miles to zero function works off info from the fuel gauge, so that can't to trusted either. However, the MPG counter works independently of the fuel gauge so it's useful.

I've been driving w/o a fuel gauge for over a year. Every time I fill up I reset the average MPG counter and miles. Then do miles/MPG to get a super accurate count on how much gas I've used.

I looked into replacing the fuel gauge sender, but It looks like a major PITA in the AWD cars. I believe it involves dropping the fuel tank or cutting an access hole in the floor.

Replacing the bulb behind your fuel gauge is do able, but it requires that some of dash be disassembled. Search around this site and other volvo forums for a tutorial.

cindiana
02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Darn, I was hoping it wasn't that hard. I guess if the fuel gauge doesn't work, the lack of a light won't matter much. I worry though, that more lights will go out, and then I will have to drive with night-vision goggles. It took me a minute to figure out what PITA was-odd, because I experience them on a daily basis.
No wonder my mechanic recommended driving by the tripometer, and I did reset the average MPG mode.
Thanks,
Cindiana
in Lincolnvillle, Maine, where since I bought and fixed a snowblower, it hasn't snowed.