PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of gas :(

Ocean Racer
02-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Well this was a first, and an embarrassing first in peak hour traffic in a clearway zone.
Car said 140km to empty. However, today was high 30s and im assuming the high temps generated enough vapour gas to make the sensor believe it had more gas than it really did.

After I put in 5L from the servo with a gerry can it still failed to ignite. It wasn't til I put another 5L in that it ticked over.

Just a quick heads up warning for you guys out there. Dont always rely on the DTE gauge [thumbup]

kain
02-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Out of curiosity was your fuel gauge on 'E' when you ran out? Just wondering if the fuel gauge and whatever processes the DTE are tied togther somehow. I want to know that I can at least count on one of the two indicators.

Skid_o
02-23-2010, 08:06 AM
I have had that problem. Was told it is the auxiliary fuel pump. After it happened the check engine light came on.

Roberto139
02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
As a pilot I know to thrust my fuel gauge over any electronic device that computes average consumption.
I believe the XC70 also comes with a "Hey you are on vapors!" light, doesn't it?:rolleyes:

Aviator
02-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I believe the XC70 also comes with a "Hey you are on vapors!" light, doesn't it?

Yeah, women love it!! At least my wife does anyway!! :mad:

Dave.

wgriswold
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah, women love it!! At least my wife does anyway!! :mad:

Dave.

Your wife and mine must be sisters in a former life. I always know her car is no fumes when she offers to let me drive it. She is a firm believer that "real women don't pump gas" and loves Oregon where it is against the law to pump your own gas.

Roberto139
02-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Yes, we were there last May, did not know about that detail.
My wife was all giggly over it.:rolleyes:

02Ocean224
02-23-2010, 05:15 PM
I miss Oregon. But the idiots who fill your tank have two problems. 1.) They grab your fuel door and yank like mad and won't wait for you to unlock it. 2.) They insist on topping off your gas tank.

Ocean Racer
02-23-2010, 07:19 PM
lol at thread direction.

The gauge was not in the red but close. No fuel lights were alight.
My mechanic said I was the 4th person this week alone with the same problem.