PDA

View Full Version : Low coolant message

iawhitexc70
02-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Yesterday, my low coolant message came on when I started my car. So I shut the car off and got out to check the level in the expansion tank. The tank had some coolant in it, but it was below the min mark. I didn't have any other way of getting around, so I had to drive it yesterday. I was going to go directly to the dealer and get some coolant. Unfortunately the parts and shop are not open on Saturdays, however once the car warmed up the message went away.

My question is, should I add some other kind of coolant like Zerex G-05 to it or should I just wait and take it to the dealer tomorrow? I would need to drive it today also as it is my only car right now. I keep a close eye on the temp gauge just to make sure that it isn't overheating.

Everything says to use Volvo coolant, but honestly I can't confirm that is actually what is in there.

I know the ideal situation would be to flush it and replace with what I know is in there.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.
Rory

Allen
02-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Yesterday, my low coolant message came on when I started my car. So I shut the car off and got out to check the level in the expansion tank. The tank had some coolant in it, but it was below the min mark. I didn't have any other way of getting around, so I had to drive it yesterday. I was going to go directly to the dealer and get some coolant. Unfortunately the parts and shop are not open on Saturdays, however once the car warmed up the message went away.

My question is, should I add some other kind of coolant like Zerex G-05 to it or should I just wait and take it to the dealer tomorrow? I would need to drive it today also as it is my only car right now. I keep a close eye on the temp gauge just to make sure that it isn't overheating.

Everything says to use Volvo coolant, but honestly I can't confirm that is actually what is in there.

I know the ideal situation would be to flush it and replace with what I know is in there.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.
Rory

Top it off with a premium brand from your local parts house for safety, then have it drained/filled with Volvo coolant when you've got the time and money.

BillAileo
02-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Be cautious about combining different types of coolant. Zerex G-05 would be a smart choice. Stay away from adding any Dex Cool product to what you now have.

Chilled Man
02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Green Coolant = Good
Volvo Blue Coolant = Good
Orange Coolant = Bad

:D

BillAileo
02-22-2010, 04:38 AM
While it may often work to rely on color, it doesn't always work because any antifreeze type can actually be produced in any color. For example, check out this article: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/aug2009/mech.htm

billr99
02-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Green Coolant = Good
Volvo Blue Coolant = Good
Orange Coolant = Bad

:D
I'd agree with this. Despite what the article says I've had head gasket leak problems in two cars that I tried to use orange coolant (i.e. long-life or 5 year) in. Other than the "usual" hose leaks and one particularly problematic leak in a wasserboxer VW van, I've never had problems using the good old-fashion green or blue stuff. The orange stuff just seems too aggressive somehow with the composition of Euro head gaskets.

Cheers,

Bill

BillAileo
02-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Perhaps the article at this link does a better job of detailing antifreeze differences:

http://www.nalube.com/e-newsletter/archive/2008/tecnical_tip_sep-08.pdf

sjonnie
02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Man, this should be put in the FAQ because it comes up constantly. Great link Bill.

goldxc70
02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Top it off with a premium brand from your local parts house for safety, then have it drained/filled with Volvo coolant when you've got the time and money.

I found myself in the same situation and used a good quality coolant to bring the level back to normal with a view to doing a full flush and refill with the Volvo stuff soon.

When I owned a VW Golf/Rabbit many years ago, I had bad experiences with third party coolants that were resolved immediately when I used the VW branded stuff.

iawhitexc70
02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks so much for the advice. I just put in a 50/50 Prestone that said it blends with any antifreeze. I put in just a little under 1/2 gallon. I took it to Volvo because the leak became evident on my driveway. They are replacing my radiator tomorrow. So I only ended up driving on the Prestone about 3 days max.

Thanks again,
Rory