PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid additives?

knucklebuster
02-14-2010, 02:53 PM
99 V70XC

I just did a trans flush and it worked out really well. The trans seemed to be slipping a bit in reverse, so I did the flush. Old fluid was pretty dark.

Is anyone using fluid additives? The car's got lots of mileage so I presume the trans is worn enough that it could benefit from an additive. I just don't want to throw any snake oil in there.

FYI - I've done the flush once before, a couple years ago, but this time I used the technique with the engine running. It's a 1/2" hose btw, which you can probably pick up at any hdwr store. I replaced o-rings and clips on both cooler hoses since they were original. Just a quick note - You cannot fill as fast as the trans pumps out, so stick to the 2L at a time technique they advertise at IPD. I fell a bit behind (about 3L instead of 2) and threw a tranny code which prevented the engine re-starting once I got more fluid in.

Disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes sorted it out and it went beautifully. Super easy.[thumbup] Let me know your "snake oil" preferences.