PDA

View Full Version : Pollen Filter Swap?

XCovlov70
02-13-2010, 05:48 AM
Can anyone help with details of how to remove the Pollen Filter Cover that is underneath & behind the Glove Box in a 2008 (2009 Model) XC70 please?

I did see an article but it did not fit the description for our "Hunk of Metal & 4 tyres" as there are no screws to take out of the cover, or at least I cannot find any, nor can I find any clips holding the top of the cover on!

Any help would be appreciated as it looks like the inside of the windscreen is getting 'crappy' very quickly! :(

Thanks.

roadster675
02-16-2010, 09:28 AM
The filter is actually located crosswise standing up above the transmission tunnel between driver and passenger sides at the rear of the center stack, accessed from the passenger side. The black plastic access door is held by three plastic clips. Good thing the filter is a bit flexible, it takes a bit of Maneuvering to get it in.

BTW, there are two filters available from the dealer...with and without activated charcoal.

Lotus99
02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Search works really well on this site, by the way, not sure if you did that?

I did a search with the word "filter" and came up with this:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14002

Might help...

Ocean Racer
02-17-2010, 02:06 AM
LOL @ Lotus - sensing sarcasm.
Actually there are many filters in our cars.
Fuel Filter
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Pollen Filter
Cabin Filter.

The cabin filter is accessible from the engine bay. At the base of the window.
Peel the rubber back and there it is - under that. [thumbup]

Lotus99
02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow, we have a cabin filter AND a pollen filter? Usually in cars I thought they're the same thing?

Some people don't ever use search, and it actually works and can be more helpful than posting again, since you might not get a reply for a while, or a thorough one, so I'm pointing that out to him.

I know in another Volvo forum though that the search function is pretty much useless, so noone uses it, that's also why I pointed it out.

I find lots of good stuff here when searching.

Ocean Racer
02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Wow, we have a cabin filter AND a pollen filter? Usually in cars I thought they're the same thing?

Dont quote me on that, some 'may' be the same but I know some of our XCs / V70s have them under the passengers dash and others in the engine bay at the base of the window. Justin [Chilled Man] would know [thumbup]

Art
02-17-2010, 07:12 PM
The words cabin/pollen refer to the same type of filter. IIRC, the cabin filter for the S70/V70/XC (-00) was located in the engine bay under the windscreen drainage panel. As of 2001, that location was likely switched to the passenger compartment that most of us are familiar with.

Ocean Racer
02-17-2010, 07:18 PM
[Art] Cheers for clearing that up for us [thumbup]

XCovlov70
02-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Search works really well on this site, by the way, not sure if you did that?

I did a search with the word "filter" and came up with this:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14002

Might help...

This link is for 2004 models. The filter for 2008/9 models is in a completely different location as found by "roadster675"

"The filter is actually located crosswise standing up above the transmission tunnel between driver and passenger sides at the rear of the center stack, accessed from the passenger side. The black plastic access door is held by three plastic clips. Good thing the filter is a bit flexible, it takes a bit of Maneuvering to get it in."

So I now need to get on my back and have another look to see if I can locate the 3 Clips that hold the cover in place, and I seem to remember that it is a right so&so to get at, as well as in and out! [cussing][cussing].

Lotus99
02-20-2010, 09:19 AM
I know it wasn't for the right year, but I thought it might help in case you didn't come across any other info.

Good luck with it.

How often miles or time does it need changing?

XCovlov70
02-24-2010, 06:57 AM
I know it wasn't for the right year, but I thought it might help in case you didn't come across any other info.

Good luck with it.

How often miles or time does it need changing?

Thanks for your thoughts & help.[thumbup]

I have normally gone for the 40K Miles point, but I guess if you are a 'Hayfever Sufferer' then all I can say is rely on your Eyes & Nose, if they 'stream' before 40K then it might be worthwhile doing it if it was better before then.

Having said that we have now got 33K on the clock and 'smelly smells' are starting to hit the nasal passages, :eek: I should stress coming in from outside and not inside :o so it might be time before we also get Spring & Summer popping up, and the other additional bits coming in from that! :)

sciguy6
06-30-2010, 09:40 PM
The filter is actually located crosswise standing up above the transmission tunnel between driver and passenger sides at the rear of the center stack, accessed from the passenger side. The black plastic access door is held by three plastic clips. Good thing the filter is a bit flexible, it takes a bit of Maneuvering to get it in.

BTW, there are two filters available from the dealer...with and without activated charcoal.

Newbe here. It is as roadster said but you have to remove a cover under the glovebox. It has two T25 torx bolts and the cover drops down (it has tabs in the back and pulls forward) There is a light there that must be disconnected and you move the cover out of the way. The carpet must be pulled down to get to the 3 clips.