PDA

View Full Version : 2001 V70XC Sold

Giles
02-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Well, someone offered to purchase my Cross Country, what could I say but "Sold".

I've replaced it with a 1988 Range Rover manual 5 speed that has a 3.5 litre stroked to 4.2 litres. The job for this truck is on the beach, towing the boat and lugging what ever to where ever. Some how the Volvo wasn't the vehicle for this, but it was a love affair while it lasted. So long you Sweedish massage.

So I'd like to say "thanks" to the forum members for their advice that they've given, it's been invaluable.

Might catch up with you again one day if I get another Volvo.

Regards,

Giles

billr99
02-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Well, someone offered to purchase my Cross Country, what could I say but "Sold".

I've replaced it with a 1988 Range Rover manual 5 speed that has a 3.5 litre stroked to 4.2 litres. The job for this truck is on the beach, towing the boat and lugging what ever to where ever. Some how the Volvo wasn't the vehicle for this, but it was a love affair while it lasted. So long you Sweedish massage.

So I'd like to say "thanks" to the forum members for their advice that they've given, it's been invaluable.

Might catch up with you again one day if I get another Volvo.

Regards,

Giles
Giles:

Well, have fun. An old Rangie is definitely a good option for that. If I could trade for a decent TDI Defender here I'd drop my XC in a minute. Alas, such vehicles like that don't come around here often.

Cheers mate,

Bill

n00bkiller944
02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Pics of the new truck or it didn't happen! :)

Giles
02-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Pics of the new truck or it didn't happen! :)

Pic of the truck when I picked it up late last Sunday. Go to http://www.lrocwa.org.au/forum/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi?board=parts;action=display;num=1258457613 for more pics.

I got $16K for the Volvo and I paid $4k for the Rangie.

The beatification process has begun and I'll post more pics when the work is done which is this coming Sunday. The paints chalky so a good rub down with 2000 grit paper, a polish and wax should make it shine. It's got some bruises but it's only going to get more.

So far the roof rack (use on trips when necessary), rear louvre (for now) have been removed and the wheel cover has been replaced with a blank black one. Also retained the license plates from the Volvo and will post with enhancements in due course.

Regards,

Giles

billr99
02-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Pic of the truck when I picked it up late last Sunday. Go to http://www.lrocwa.org.au/forum/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi?board=parts;action=display;num=1258457613 for more pics.

The beatification process has begun and I'll post more pics when the work is done which is this coming Sunday. The paints chalky so a good rub down with 2000 grit paper, a polish and wax should make it shine. It's got some bruises but it's only going to get more.

So far the roof rack (use on trips when necessary), rear louvre (for now) have been removed and the wheel cover has been replaced with a blank black one. Also retained the license plates from the Volvo and will post with enhancements in due course.

Regards,

Giles
Ah yes, brings back memories. I had a '94 LWB with the 4.2 and a full OME suspension (thanks to the compressor and bags giving out). Thing would get thru anything. I actually ran Nokians on it all year round. Except for the gas mileage I just loved that thing.

BTW, since you are detailing your rig do you know about this site, Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?)? A lot of great detailing information along with pictures of the end results that just make you drool.

Have fun,

Bill

kamiar
02-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Regards,

Giles

16K for a 2001?

billr99
02-11-2010, 08:59 AM
16K for a 2001?

Yeah, that's pretty good, isn't it? That would be roughly $15K CDN or 14K USD. Last time I looked on Auto Trader, $15K would get you a 2005 XC here in NS. Of course, it would have been sitting in salt air for the last 5 years versus the presumably much drier and warmer climate down in Oz.

One thing I've learned though after 12 years of living in Canada and doing business in the US, you just can't compare currencies-to-goods. Everything from the regional desirability/rarity of an item to the relative value of a currency to average wage all seems to have a factor in what something costs (or is worth) in a given market. Its like I've come to realize over the years, its not the currency exchange that determines value, its the worth of the currency sitting in your pocket after you have put in a full days work.

Cheers,

Bill