PDA

View Full Version : Poll on software Update XC70

jdp6000
02-09-2010, 07:44 AM
I was at the dealer yesterday. They tell me there is a software update for my car. Cheap under $100.

Has anyone with a 2003 XC70 had this up date? What did it do? Did it improve anything or cause issues?

The reason I ask is I can feel my engine vibrate a tadd on the steering wheel when the car is in gear and stopped. Its sometimes worse then others. Its more annoying then anything else. I have several cars and I don't feel this on them. About a year ago I asked the dealer about the cause. They say it could be a minor problem with the throttlebody. This item is under an extended warranty...10 years and 200,000 miles. To trigger replacement you are expected to have the throttlebody cleaned....I had this done. Next you are expected to have the software update...I have not had this done yet. If these two things do not solve the vibration problem the dealer will change throttle body for free.

Software updates make me nervous. Old school says if it isn't broken don't mess with it. My car aside from the minor vibrating mentioned above runs great.

So should I go for this????

Jim

kamiar
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM
I was at the dealer yesterday. They tell me there is a software update for my car. Cheap under $100.

Has anyone with a 2003 XC70 had this up date? What did it do? Did it improve anything or cause issues?

The reason I ask is I can feel my engine vibrate a tadd on the steering wheel when the car is in gear and stopped. Its sometimes worse then others. Its more annoying then anything else. I have several cars and I don't feel this on them. About a year ago I asked the dealer about the cause. They say it could be a minor problem with the throttlebody. This item is under an extended warranty...10 years and 200,000 miles. To trigger replacement you are expected to have the throttlebody cleaned....I had this done. Next you are expected to have the software update...I have not had this done yet. If these two things do not solve the vibration problem the dealer will change throttle body for free.

Software updates make me nervous. Old school says if it isn't broken don't mess with it. My car aside from the minor vibrating mentioned above runs great.

So should I go for this????

Jim

I have this very minor vibration on steering wheel, they gave me an ETM update and also i cleaned the trottle body, no chnage at all...

People are saying the Volvo 5 Cyl turbos make a little vibration and it is normal...

jdp6000
02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I have this very minor vibration on steering wheel, they gave me an ETM update and also i cleaned the trottle body, no chnage at all...

People are saying the Volvo 5 Cyl turbos make a little vibration and it is normal...

I have driven a couple though where you do not feel a thing. So I know there such a thing as 100% smooth.

Jim

kamiar
02-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I have driven a couple though where you do not feel a thing. So I know there such a thing as 100% smooth.

Jim

You mean smooth as like engine is not running at all?

Anyway the ETM update and cleaning didn't make any changes on mine... please update me also if you find the cause...

Are you using Volvo spark plugs? i ma using Champion (supposedly the Volvo spark plug is re-branded of Champion's)

jdp6000
02-09-2010, 10:53 AM
You mean smooth as like engine is not running at all?

Anyway the ETM update and cleaning didn't make any changes on mine... please update me also if you find the cause...

Are you using Volvo spark plugs? i ma using Champion (supposedly the Volvo spark plug is re-branded of Champion's)

Yes, smooth like you don't know the engine is running....like my BMW.

I have the Volvo plugs. They cost the same.

On another forum it was suggested the motor mounts cause this vibration. A good test is on a cold day. If the rubber is harder it should be worse.

In my case its irratic. It was real cold yesterday but the engine felt real smooth.

Changing the upper motor mount made a huge difference.

I drove a 2004 XC70 about 3 months ago. It had 155,000 km. I didn't feel a thing on the steering wheel so I know its possible to achive.

Jim

kamiar
02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Lets put a checklist then:

The ETM is updated and clean
The RPM is at 680 at idle and stable
The Engine mounts are all new
The Volvo air filter new
The spark plugs new
MAF is cleaned
Syntetic oil and Volvo filter (doesn't make any difference in vibe anyway)
No engine codes
Timing belt new
The timing gear and CVVT assemblies new

Anything else you can think of? maybe a vacuum leak? or the TCV (i don't think it makes any difference at idle)?

billr99
02-09-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't get a lot of vibration despite running solid engine bar mounts and a small poly bush lower mount in the winter. Gets a bit heavier when it gets to -12C but right now with it about 0, a bit but nothing unusual. Way less than my R had with a poly top mount. In both cases fairly new mounts all around. In both cases I had next to no vibration at idle when it was, say, 20 or above. The R had a bit under acceleration, the XC is pretty smooth.

Guess it depends on what you are comparing it to and a bit of personal experience, feel, etc.. A Caddy, a Range Rover or just about any V8 is going to be better. Some 6s, especially V6 are better; some are worse. The Volvo 5 is fairly smooth versus the old Audi 5s, but it is still a configuration that by its very nature will have some imbalance to it. V12s are butter and most 4s are like chainsaws, IMHO.

Not really being able to tell what you have there, you may be chasing your tail a bit especially considering how cold it has been lately. I mean, you guys over there have been below 0 for a bit, right? But checking out your vacuum lines wouldn't hurt and I would add to your list, fuel grade. I have found over the years that some winter fuel mixes just don't run smooth. Not sure if its more alcohol or whatever but they just don't run good.

Cheers,

Bill

kamiar
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks Bill for the info, the winter gas might be a factor, what about the Fuel filter, might that be a cause? (probably no)

XC70_D5_Sweden
02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
The software shouldnt make any problem at all.
I did a total-CAN upgrade (about 50 USD), it updates all the nodes that have a older software than the upgrade. Everything gets upgraded if its needed.