PDA

View Full Version : Can you use 98-00 roof rack cross bars on an 01-06 XC70??

schwein
02-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Hey everyone, my mother just bought a 2006 XC70 she'll be picking it up Friday, but from what i understand the car does not come with cross bars, my question is where can you buy these things, and even more importantly can you use the cross bars from the roof rack from 1998-2000 Volvo V70XC? right now she has a 98 and is going to be trading it in but would simply take off the cross bars if she knew they would fit on the new car.

while im at it, i may as well ask the big question around here that im having a hard time finding the answer to, whats the deal with the 2006 transmission and AWD system? from what i understand the 2006 got the new AWD system that is now no longer called Halidex? also the car she bought has just under 44,000 miles on it, i recommended to her that she replace the angle gear fluid the transmission fluid and the transfer case fluid every 30-40k? so i told her to make sure that service had been done or have it done asap, was this a good recommendation? i typically have always been in the belief that changing any tranny fluid every 30k was a good idea but the other two pieces i assume have to do with the awd system and im not too familiar with these pieces so im not sure what should be done about them.

thanks for your help everyone,

heres a picture of the car crappy cell phone pic but you get the idea.

billr99
02-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey everyone, my mother just bought a 2006 XC70 she'll be picking it up Friday, but from what i understand the car does not come with cross bars, my question is where can you buy these things, and even more importantly can you use the cross bars from the roof rack from 1998-2000 Volvo V70XC? right now she has a 98 and is going to be trading it in but would simply take off the cross bars if she knew they would fit on the new car.

while im at it, i may as well ask the big question around here that im having a hard time finding the answer to, whats the deal with the 2006 transmission and AWD system? from what i understand the 2006 got the new AWD system that is now no longer called Halidex? also the car she bought has just under 44,000 miles on it, i recommended to her that she replace the angle gear fluid the transmission fluid and the transfer case fluid every 30-40k? so i told her to make sure that service had been done or have it done asap, was this a good recommendation? i typically have always been in the belief that changing any tranny fluid every 30k was a good idea but the other two pieces i assume have to do with the awd system and im not too familiar with these pieces so im not sure what should be done about them.

thanks for your help everyone,

heres a picture of the car crappy cell phone pic but you get the idea.
I believe that if she has the type of bars that fit on the top of the rails those will work. Not sure what the deal is if they are the aero-type bars. In either case, I'd hang onto them and then if they don't fit use Craigslist or something to get rid of them later. Or if you don't want to mess around, try fitting them when you go pick up the new one. If they fit great, if not throw them in the back of the old car you are trading in.

Have fun,

Bill

schwein
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the reply,

Yeah i think she is just going to take them off and try them when the car is ready, they are the arrow type bars so i was thinking that the new car may be wider than the old car, in that case she'll just have to buy some new ones.

anyone else on the other questions?

Chilled Man
02-09-2010, 05:54 PM
you will need two of the front ones from the Gen 1 cars .

/ what I have on my XC :D

schwein
02-09-2010, 08:53 PM
aah, so what your saying is i need to find my self a torx wrench and a parking lot with a bunch of older soccer mom cars parked in it? just a joke, anyone know of a good online volvo junk yard / parts yard? this seems like the cheapest option for cross bars, and i tihnk the stock ones look pretty good too.

Chilled Man
02-09-2010, 09:15 PM
LOL I know of a good one :p

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/R410a/snowpics004-1.jpg

but its a bit snow covered :p

schwein
02-10-2010, 01:01 PM
sounds good where is this place?