PDA

View Full Version : Would you take an 02 XC70 for the weekend to try before you buy?

alex jb
02-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Hi,
I have read a lot here about the trany problems of the pre-03 CX's and the other issues, but I still realy like this wagon.

I REALLY don't want to get a minivan, so I am still considering the Volvo.

I have a deal on the table for an 02 XC70 with 112K on it. It has limited history with it so the dealer says I can tak it for 2-3 days and drive it and get it checked out.

Should I take it for a try-b4-buy, or not?
I know that if it's pretey good I'll want to cut a deal, but I am not sure in this length of time, if I could realy tell if it's a good car or another money pit...

Thanks for e-pinions
Alex JB.

06ORXC
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Its nice that they let You do that but, I would look for a nice '07 if You can afford it.

I would take that one just for that weekend to see if I like the car at all but an early XC could be a can of worms.

billr99
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
My '02 has 185K kms on it, good shape all around with a tranny that works very well (thanks to regular fluid changes). This one you are looking at, sure, take it for a weekend. And while you have it, check out the ATF condition, run the car thru its paces and see what you think. You are just trying it out. Don't have to buy i if it doesn't suit what you are looking for.

Have fun,

Bill

alex jb
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Its nice that they let You do that but, I would look for a nice '07 if You can afford it.

I would take that one just for that weekend to see if I like the car at all but an early XC could be a can of worms.

mmm, I know there are lots of horror stories about cars pre-Haldex tranny, bit there is no way I can afford an 07. To be honest the jump to 03 is out of my price range... I understand why the 02 and older cars are cheap... everyone reads the internet and is scared away!

Hey Bill,
Thanks for your comment, nice to see someone with a good opinion of the 02!
Did you own yours from new though?

My main wory is that the service info is scarce so even a 'destined to be' good transmission, could now be junk if it wasn't taken care of.

icegrill
02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Don't worry about it we just bought an 02' for my wife with 89k on it and it has a few issues but nothing major. They're good used cars for the most part.

seth1065
02-09-2010, 03:44 PM
as everyone has said take it for three days run it and take it to a good indy ( I have one in westfield nj if you need one) I have a 01 and so far no problems, but I got a ton of history with it ( and a new tranny the last owner had put in and than sold it to me[happy]) You can try taking it to your local dealer and see if they can run the vin and see what history the all knowing computer may have on it. They are good cars do not be scared away by the 02. if that is all you can afford than that is all you can afford.