PDA

View Full Version : Door Glass Sensor Reset

jdp6000
02-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Its never a boring day. My driverside glass broke off the regular.

I just had it replaced with a Pilkington Tempered. Not laminated which Volvo comes with. Cost $235.

I was told that they were unable to set the auto up sensor to work correctly. Basically when you use the auto up feature the window goes all the way up then comes down about an inch. Unless you hold the up button the window will not fully close. I also notice that the window does not go all the way down. Or at least not as far down as the passenger side. It stops about 2 inches from the bottom.

Is there a way to reset the sensors?

Jim

Art
02-06-2010, 01:03 PM
The installer must have somehow fudged the lift mechanism's window position while replacing the glass. You'll need to have your dealer re-initialize the hall sensor via VIDA in order to restore the auto up/down feature.

jdp6000
02-06-2010, 02:05 PM
The installer must have somehow fudged the lift mechanism's window position while replacing the glass. You'll need to have your dealer re-initialize the hall sensor via VIDA in order to restore the auto up/down feature.

I think you are right. I called my dealer. They want $35 to reset it. Going in Monday.

Thanks for the reply

Jim

Puff The Magic Wagon!
02-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Hmm

Still with my OE glass but it doesn't stop when auto-closing - just goes to the top then comes down again. I have to remember to keep my finger on the button to get it to happen. Drivers's side only.

So is it the same solution?

Werz Waldeau
02-07-2010, 06:14 PM
One more data point. My local glass shop replaced a cracked sliding pivot. Now I have the same problem with the "automatic up" function.

skibo
02-08-2010, 10:05 AM
I've replaced 3 of those sliding glass pivots - twice on the passenger side and once on the drivers side. It was only on the 2nd P-side replacement that I developed this problem. I'm not sure what that repair was different from the others.

We don't put that window down very often, so I can live with it. The $35 doesn't sound bad though - I was assuming it would be higher.

jdp6000
02-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I got ready yesterday to head to the dealer. Just as I left I powered the window down. The regulater arm came out of the clip again and the window dropped. I new this time not to mess with it. I also knew there was something wrong with the original install, it was real tight and slow.

The clip broke the first time. I suspect my wife auto powered the window up an got it wedged which cracked the $512 laminated glass. The sensor did not know when to stop so it just kept pressing up. I was able to confirm at the glass place the original cause was the $4 clip. If she had not touched it when it first came apart I would not have had to to replace the window.

So I went back to the window place. This time I watched. They opened it up. The rear regulator arm had pulled out of the clip. They put it back in and powered the window up and down. Something was grabbing and causing the regulator arm to bend and twist. causing it to pop out. The window seemed real tight. The kid claimed it was a problem with the regulator. I asked him if he had lubed up the track the first time and he said no it didn't need it. I told the kid to humor me and grease up the track. After doing so the regulator stopped binding. The window went up and down twice as fast and smoothly. The long and short of it is you have a plastic clip sliding along an metal track in -13 temperature. With out lube its not going to slide freely. So make sure if you are doing this you lube that track up.

We tried to follow one of these internet instructions. You have probably seen them. The ones that say to power the window full up until you hear a click then all the way down and you do a thing or two with the ignition position settings. It didn't work. The window went all the way up then half way down then up an inch then down anyway you get the picture. What i noticed was at the full down position it was still higher then the other window by about an inch. For $35 I figured to hell with it I'll go to the dealer.

I headed up to the dealer. I paid $35 and they reset the up/down parameters. It took maybe 15 minutes. According to my rep there its done through the Vadis system. These cars have computers for just about everything and there is one for the up/down sensor in the window.

So now the window is working fine. Cost $235 for tempered glass installed and $35 for the reset.

I got the car back nice and clean. I noticed they broke off the cover on the rear wiper. The part that covers the part that sprays the wiper fluid....back to the dealer again in a few minutes....

Jim

jdp6000
02-09-2010, 07:32 AM
I've replaced 3 of those sliding glass pivots - twice on the passenger side and once on the drivers side. It was only on the 2nd P-side replacement that I developed this problem. I'm not sure what that repair was different from the others.

We don't put that window down very often, so I can live with it. The $35 doesn't sound bad though - I was assuming it would be higher.

Lube the crap out of the track. You shouldn't have any more problems with the clips.

Get the dealer to do a reset. Its worth the $35.

Jim

jdp6000
02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Hmm

Still with my OE glass but it doesn't stop when auto-closing - just goes to the top then comes down again. I have to remember to keep my finger on the button to get it to happen. Drivers's side only.

So is it the same solution?

Its a simple programming issue. Have the dealer do it. It should be about 22 Euro there...but someone I doubt it...probably 35 Euro....