PDA

View Full Version : A new volvo owner. Got a few questions.

cnics
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Guys,

Just spotted this forum having purchased a 1998 V70XC this time last week. I have a few questions. I'm a member of a few different forums for alsorts of things and they all have different etiquette so i'll start by asking all the questions in one thread and hopefully get some good answers. You seem like an intelligent lot.

First of all my remote keyfob seems to work when it wants and only very close, now my first idea would be to replace the battery but the previous owner who was very honest about it said he didn't think that would do it and it may need a new fob. Does this seem likely or would trying a battery be a better bet at first, do they need reprogramming after a battery change?

Secondly, i've lost the rear washer, it did work, but now doesn't. I hear the pump, i'm assuming it's run from the same bottle in the engine bay, is there a common point of failure with a pipe or something?

The pull out parcel/load cover thing. Is this easily removable, i like it when the seats are up but i bought an estate to get alot in the back and i thought this might come out a bit easier, perhaps i've missed something?

The interior lighting appears to have a fault. When i put this in the "door" position, the lights just stay on all the time. Also the internal door locking button (near the window switches) locks and then unlocks straight away. Now, a bi of common sense tells me this could be a door contact switch fault thinking a door is open all the time, hence putting the lights on and not locking the car, but on inspection i can't find a problem there.

And the potentially more expensive bits......

Climate control doesn't seem to blow that much cooler, even on the BLUE bits, than when the AC is off, perhaps a regas is in order which isn't expensive...however, every so often, maybe every 10 to 12 starts of the vehicle the air re-circ and AC off orange LED's flash for 20 seconds. The manual says that if this happens the next time you start the vehicle there is a fault, but the next time.... it doesn't do it. So i'm confused whether there is a fault or not.

And the slightly worrying one, there is a noticeable jolt when the vehicle goes into its highest gear (is this a solenoid locking up the torque converter?). It's more noticeable when it comes back out of this. It's not a massive bump but noticeable, more so than on other boxes on other cars. Every other gear change in every mode is perfect.

Quite alot to read there, perhaps you've given up reading by now.

I thank you in advance.

Rob

JRL
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
First of all my remote keyfob seems to work when it wants and only very close, now my first idea would be to replace the battery but the previous owner who was very honest about it said he didn't think that would do it and it may need a new fob. Does this seem likely or would trying a battery be a better bet at first, do they need reprogramming after a battery change?

TRY THE BATTERY FIRST.

Secondly, i've lost the rear washer, it did work, but now doesn't. I hear the pump, i'm assuming it's run from the same bottle in the engine bay, is there a common point of failure with a pipe or something?

COMMON FAILURE POINT. IT CAN BE MESSED UP EITHER IN THE BACK OR AT THE WASHER PUMP, NO BIGGEE

The pull out parcel/load cover thing. Is this easily removable, i like it when the seats are up but i bought an estate to get alot in the back and i thought this might come out a bit easier, perhaps i've missed something?

SPRING LOADED. GRASP FIRMLY, PULL THE ENDS TOWARDS THE CENTER OF THE CAR, LIFT AND REMOVE IT

The interior lighting appears to have a fault. When i put this in the "door" position, the lights just stay on all the time. Also the internal door locking button (near the window switches) locks and then unlocks straight away. Now, a bi of common sense tells me this could be a door contact switch fault thinking a door is open all the time, hence putting the lights on and not locking the car, but on inspection i can't find a problem there.

IT'S EITHER THE MASTER WINDOW SWITCH (COMMON FAILURE) WHICH ALSO CONTROLS THE LOCKS) OR THE DOOR LOCK/ACTUATOR (ALSO A COMMON FAILURE)

And the potentially more expensive bits......

Climate control doesn't seem to blow that much cooler, even on the BLUE bits, than when the AC is off, perhaps a regas is in order which isn't expensive...however, every so often, maybe every 10 to 12 starts of the vehicle the air re-circ and AC off orange LED's flash for 20 seconds. The manual says that if this happens the next time you start the vehicle there is a fault, but the next time.... it doesn't do it. So i'm confused whether there is a fault or not.

THE TEMP SENSOR IS USUALLY THE FAULT. TRY BLOWING COMPRESSED AIR INTO THAT LITTLE GRILL NEXT TO THE SUNROOF SWITCH.
MANY TIMES THAT WILL CURE IT, OTHERWISE YOU WILL NEED A NEW ONE.
AS LONG AS THOSE LIGHTS FLASH, YOU GET NO HVAC

ALSO SEARCH VOLVO AC EVAPORATORS

And the slightly worrying one, there is a noticeable jolt when the vehicle goes into its highest gear (is this a solenoid locking up the torque converter?). It's more noticeable when it comes back out of this. It's not a massive bump but noticeable, more so than on other boxes on other cars. Every other gear change in every mode is perfect.

FLUSH YOUR TRANSMISSION NOW. MANY TIMES THAT WILL CURE IT, IF NOT YOU WILL NEED A REBUILD :(

Quite alot to read there, perhaps you've given up reading by now.

Nope, if you read this
PLEASE READ:

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000175.htm

gshadow325
02-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Its not the battery in the fob. doors will not lock because the oem system thinking the doors are open.

The rear pump issue: their is a harness in the rear that comes in from the tail gate. this harness brakes open from were and tear. i know that US market cars are on the left side going into the vehicle from the trunk hatch.

Interior lighting is linked to your door problems and key fob problems

Climate control blinking: DO NOT BLOW AIR IN to that hole. actually get a strong vacuum and suck it out. that little grill thing near the switches on the dash has a little fan that sucks air IN and gets all kinds of junk inside of it. blowing it in may just ruin it and size it up. there are also two other components that may need changing. later down the road if the problem still persists. do a search for climate control you'll sind it.

Jolts from the tranny, may need a flush (fingers crossed) or tranny. hopefully the first thing, much cheaper but then again, it may need the 3 engine mounts. they go bad too and cause a clunk.

My post is filled with gramerical errors, so will many of yours. Since you are a newbie, JRL is the resident internet volvo guru/grammer nazi. he will rein fury on your if you miss spell a work, give out the slightest inkling of a semi un true slightly opinionated response. otherwise you will get good info from him, if you need a JRL free forum, www.volvospeed.com is your only santuary LOL. You will find him on swedespeed.com, mathews volvo site, v70r.com and here that i know of. other wise JRL is a great guy and a wealth of information.

Welcom to the forum, hopefully your mechanically inclined, if not your pockets are deep and you have a skilled volvo specilist living within walking distance LOL

cnics
02-06-2010, 05:30 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

For clarification, the remote fob doesn't suffer from the lock and unlock problem it just appears weak. This will either do nothing at all or when it does work, everything locks or unlocks perfectly as it should. It is the internal lock switches that lock and then unlock straight away.

The climate control flashing doesn't occur every start up.

I shall be trying some of these things in the next couple of days when I get chance. I'll start with the transmission issues.

I am mechanically minded, to a point. Much of the standard work I do myself. I have a basic knowledge of electronics too which helps but I do need pointing in the right direction with things.

As for spelling and grammar, i'm far from perfect but I do try my best, and i'm happy to be corrected and informed.

Rob

JRL
02-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Incorrect.
EVERY Volvo mechanic I know, (and we have some of the best here) will tell you to first blow air into that sensor.

You can do what you want to but that's usually first thing to try.

Intermittant flashing lights usually means one of two things; (1) that sensor is going south or it's dirty or (2) your blower motor and/or the resistor is bad and shorting out.
There's a tennie little fan in that sensor, it's usually good for 100K miles then needs replacing.

If you go to the Volvo dealer, their tool can tell you what's wrong.
Your car will have internal stored codes.

gshadow325
02-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Incorrect.
EVERY Volvo mechanic I know, (and we have some of the best here) will tell you to first blow air into that sensor.

You can do what you want to but that's usually first thing to try.

Intermittant flashing lights usually means one of two things; (1) that sensor is going south or it's dirty or (2) your blower motor and/or the resistor is bad and shorting out.
There's a tennie little fan in that sensor, it's usually good for 100K miles then needs replacing.

If you go to the Volvo dealer, their tool can tell you what's wrong.
Your car will have internal stored codes.

Rob, here's my case and point.

Logic would say to SUCK out what went into that sensor. Since that sensor sucks in air. It would make sense to do that.
Logic will also say that what is MOST readily available to majority of mechanics.
a air compressor and b most mechanics do not have to go the extra mile to do the proper thing, just what it is readily avialable(they have no need to care too much). i my case when that sensor was clogged there was so much dander and hairs in there. if i would have used JRL's advice and blow in, i would have messed that sensor up. That sensor is good for at least in my case 171,000 miles or ten years. I vacuumed the crap out. 100k probably had the crap BLOW in. That sensor has a low failure rate, more common is the resistor/motor/ecc sensor. mechanics at car dealers are in business to MAKE MONEY, therefore the part breaks. You pay, they make money. Simple capitalistic model.

cnics
02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi Again.

Sadly, due to more work (shouldn't complain really) i've not got around to doing any of this as yet but I have notice the climate control lights now seem to flash every time I start the engine instead of every so often. So whatever the issue is it has got worse. All the other functions work. Positioning, fan speed and the temperature control does work fine including the duo valve. Just doesn't blow freezing cold, as if a regas is required.

Thanks for the suggestions so far i'll get round to it in the next few days all being well and we'll take it from there.

Rob

JRL
02-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Again,
You NEED TO TAKE IT TO A VOLVO DEALER, they can pinpoint the fault in 5 minutes

Nobby
02-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Hello Rob,
A new battery fixed my key fob with issues similar to yours.

RE your transmission jolt, see the following post that references a TSB for this.
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11051

Cheers
Nobby

bronson75
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Rob,
Regarding your last question, I had the same problem with my wife's '99 XC. There would be a jolt/rumble/vibration when the torque converter would lock up, from 50mph and up. I did a tranny fluid change in the fall (after doing much research here), and luckily, it ended up solving the problem. Now it shifts perfectly. The fluid was so black and burned it looked like very old motor oil. The change was quite easy, and you can get the components you need (namely the clip that secures the return hose to the tranny cooler, and a couple of O rings) from your local dealer, or you can get a flush kit from IPD. I went the IPD route, just because.
For reference: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12169
And: http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-1998-2000/Transmission-&-Drive-Train/Automatic-Transmission-Flush-Hose-Kit/p-128-374-1051/

Good luck!
Nate
[thumbup]