PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh too loud . . .

knucklebuster
01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
1999 V70XC

Can a voltage regulator be changed without removing the alternator?

I've had a quick look but it's so damn cold up here right now, I'd appreciate if anyone can advise before I get into this too much.

Removing the alt looks naaasty.

BTW - charge light is on. Battery froze two days ago so I've replaced it and the new one is 11.7 volts engine running, 12.4 volts engine off. Seems pretty clear the alternator is next. Any special volvoisms I should know about before I get the tools out?

Thx.

knucklebuster
02-01-2010, 04:22 PM
OK, so now I understand the battery light comes on when the charging system isn't charging.

So . . . going back to frigid Friday, I'm now supposing my battery was frozen. The car cranked slowly and started as you might expect on a cold day. I dropped the kids off, then came back to pick up my wife and the battery light was on when I entered the driveway. I presume the alternator tried to charge the frozen battery and fried itself. The battery had no major signs, cracking, etc, but would not take a charge and probably was on its way out anyway.

New battery has made the car drivable but of course now I've got to look into the rest. I ordered a voltage regulator, hoping that's the problem. Can anyone tell me - should I expect burnt windings or anything like that. This is totally a new one on me. I'm close to work so just hooking to charger for now. Unfortunately this is the daily driver.

Thx.

knucklebuster
02-14-2010, 02:33 PM
No the voltage regulator cannot be changed without removing the alternator.

Unless you want to also do your PCV system and remove the intake manifold.

I ordered a VR and got the wrong one. A few vendors were listing this same wrong part, so check the alternator for your car and make sure. Might not be a problem for non-99's. These alternators have a pulley clutch which can go bad, but I had a local rebuilder do mine and they replaced everything but.

A bit of a PITA - AC compressor has to be loosened and slid out a bit, power steering pump removed, and I always find clearances working around the serpentine belt a bit tight.

JRL
02-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Replace both your cables, starter cable and B+ cable
Also do a proper draw/charging/battery/alternator test

knucklebuster
02-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Thx JRL. Was wondering about that.