PDA

View Full Version : Doh! No auto headlights ?!?!

Kramer
01-30-2010, 10:43 PM
It turns out that XC70 2010 don't have option for auto headlights! You know when it gets dark or you're in tunnel the car turn on the headlamps automatically. Not with Volvo apparently!
The dashboard lights up when it's getting dark but headlamps not!
That's so stupid. I didn't expect this form car that is positioned as luxury wagon.

Dealer said it's because in Sweden they drive around the clock with lights on so Volvo can't be bothered to add such feature.

Dbone
01-31-2010, 06:54 AM
It turns out that XC70 2010 don't have option for auto headlights! You know when it gets dark or you're in tunnel the car turn on the headlamps automatically. Not with Volvo apparently!
The dashboard lights up when it's getting dark but headlamps not!
That's so stupid. I didn't expect this form car that is positioned as luxury wagon.

Dealer said it's because in Sweden they drive around the clock with lights on so Volvo can't be bothered to add such feature.

Not to mention cost cutting...LOL...dealers have an answer for everything don't they!

Cheers

Sunstone_XC70
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Now I might be walking into a trap here..but you don't need auto lights if your lights are on all the time ??

Unless...in your state/country they actually do turn off. I thought all Volvo's were built with the lights always on.

Here in the UK they certainly are on at all times though this isn't Law over here. I believe Volvo are the only manufacturer who do it or at least used to be as BMW are following suite with their current 3 Series range which have their sidelights on by default.

But this does bring me onto a question here. The uk spec 2010 xc70 has 3 light settings.

Setting 1 (dial to left) will switch on headlamps (those used for night driving) whenever the car is started but only allows you to flash the high beam.

Setting 2 (dial to middle) activates the sidelights only..fair enough..though I haven't tested yet

Setting 3 (dial to right) is the same as Setting 1 but allows full use of high beam including flashing capability.

So my question is...what's the point of setting 1 ? We always leave lights set to position 3 regardless.

A strange one

Steve

Art
01-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Not sure about other regions of the globe, but DRLs are mandatory in Canada. When the switch is left at the '0' position on my '06, the DRLs automatically change to Bi-xenon mode via a twilight sensor whenever the ambient light conditions change.

Doesn't this also apply to MYs 08+ that are equipped with the optional ABL (Active Bi-xenon) lights?

Lotus99
01-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Ours has xenons, and they're on all the time b/c they're the DRL's. So I guess Volvo thought if they're on all the time, why bother with a twilight switch!

It is a cheap and crappy way to do it, though, you're right. My BMW has a twilight sensor, and its DRL's (little city lights) turn off and the xenons come on when it's dark.

We can turn off the xenons, but only by putting the switch in the middle (IIRC) position, where it's just parking lights. But then, if you turn car off, lights still stay on, whereas in auto mode, xenon lights turn off when car is turned off, and they come on, when car's turned on.

Kramer
01-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes, in Canada and Europe it is mandatory to have Day Running Lights.

Here in Australia if you driving with lights on, other drives will constantly blink and make signs to you to turn off the lights.

So that's why I am asking if anyone heard of automatic lights on Volvos.

Lotus99
02-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Yes, in Canada and Europe it is mandatory to have Day Running Lights.

Here in Australia if you driving with lights on, other drives will constantly blink and make signs to you to turn off the lights.

So that's why I am asking if anyone heard of automatic lights on Volvos.

Wow, didn't know that. I thought the only country left in the world that didn't mandate DRL's was the US, and who knows why. They've been extensively proven to save lives and prevent accidents. I thought Australia was as advanced in this safety stuff as Europe. :confused:

brissim
02-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Australia has never mandated DRLs for the simple reason we do not (generally) experience the climatic conditions like in places like Canada and Europe.

Kramer, for the last 20 years or more I've always had my low beam headlights on (the last 4-5 years with xenons) whenever I'm on the highway and I've never being flashed for having my lights on. I suspect you're referring to the w**kers who insist on using their foglights - which are not DRLs - in perfectly fine conditions. Besides being a nuisance it is now illegal in all states to use fog lights unless the conditions dictate their use.

Tony

exfive
02-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Yes, I just leave mine on all the time. I have been flashed maybe twice in the last 20 months but I do flash those foglight tossers (when they are bright).

I think people have the opinion (out here in country WA) that I am a eccentric Volvo driver/safety obsessed weirdo and accordingly just don't care. Someone I know (who was aware I always had them on) just thought Volvo set the car up that way and was actually surprised that the car had a switch to turn them off !

I have had cars with auto lights and don't miss them. I would however really miss the auto wipers I have on my XC70...

Sunstone_XC70
02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Not sure about other regions of the globe, but DRLs are mandatory in Canada. When the switch is left at the '0' position on my '06, the DRLs automatically change to Bi-xenon mode via a twilight sensor whenever the ambient light conditions change.

Doesn't this also apply to MYs 08+ that are equipped with the optional ABL (Active Bi-xenon) lights?

I wonder if ours has a twilight sensor too whilst in position '0'..hhhmm maybe a trip to the manual would help here.

Sunstone_XC70
02-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I have had cars with auto lights and don't miss them. I would however really miss the auto wipers I have on my XC70...

Apologies for slightly changing the topic here, but I do like the option of being able to use either rain sensitive wiping or the older technology of manually setting the delay. I've not seen that before on a car.

I've always been alittle cynical about rain sensitive wipers as they often manically wipe when theres 1 drop on the windscreen. However I'm pleased to say that XC70 manages its auto wiping very well.

Sorry I had to give mention.

Steve

Kramer
02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Apologies for slightly changing the topic here, but I do like the option of being able to use either rain sensitive wiping or the older technology of manually setting the delay. I've not seen that before on a car.

I've always been alittle cynical about rain sensitive wipers as they often manically wipe when theres 1 drop on the windscreen. However I'm pleased to say that XC70 manages its auto wiping very well.

Sorry I had to give mention.

Jacking my own thread - I used to have Peugeot with rain sensor and now seen XC70 with rain sensor at the dealer.
XC70 rain sensor is HUGE comparing to other cars. Should do a better job.

Sunstone_XC70
02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Yes. I think the technology has got better in this area.

Getting back to the light thing. The xenons or bulbs on the XC can be swapped out forbrighter ones if necessary ? Even on the ABL setup ?

Steve

OKCXC70
02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure but I think the difference between the far left "0" DRL setting and the far right headlight setting also has to do with what is illuminated in the rear of the vehicle besides just the high beam flash/continuous option. When you have your headlights on, you also have the rear lights on. I'm not sure what is lit up when you only have the DRLs on. Anyone?

Sunstone_XC70
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I believe all lights are on in any position including the middle option or sidelights as they're known as here in the UK, though obviously the sidelights (middle option) are pretty dimly lit

When the car was being handed over to us, the sales guy simply said that the only difference between position '0' (left option) and the far right option was the fact that you can only flash the high beam in position '0' and not have it permanantly on but you can do both when the light setting is at the right position.

Seems an odd setting this, almost pointless.

Matters
02-22-2010, 04:43 AM
We just drive with the low beam on permanently. This is for safety reasons solely. Something that is particularly important for me given that it is my Wife and baby's car. Every little bit helps.

It might be a Sydney thing, but I do get flashed by other people from time to time during the day. Someone is always trying to let you know that they think you are an idiot in Sydney - such is the nature of the place.

MartinK
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not a fan of DRL's so mine are disabled by the dealer (it was a pre-requisite of me placing the order with the dealer when I bought the car). "0" means off, middle is sidelights and right is on... Great.

However, there's no audible warning if you get out of the car leaving your sidelights on (headlights switch off automatically, but sidelights don't).

One day this will catch me out and I'll flatten the battery, no doubt!

budrichard
02-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Getting back to the Rain Sensing Wiper feature.
The feature works on an algorithim which does not work like your brain. Your brain wants the wiper to swipe when your brain says its time to swipe but the algorithim has its own detection, reset and rate and when the algorithim says it should swipe it will swipe.
If one pays no attention to the Rain Sensing Wiper feature and just let it go and do what is does, it works very well. If you concentrate on when the wiper should swipe, then you will not like the feature becuase it will not swipe when you want. So pay no attention and let it swipe when it wants.-Dick

XCovlov70
02-24-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure but I think the difference between the far left "0" DRL setting and the far right headlight setting also has to do with what is illuminated in the rear of the vehicle besides just the high beam flash/continuous option. When you have your headlights on, you also have the rear lights on. I'm not sure what is lit up when you only have the DRLs on. Anyone?

Have you never checked when at the traffic lights and you can see the reflection in the front of the BUS that is at the back of you? :o
By using this method it also tells me if I have any rear lights out and stops me being pulled over by 'Mr Plod'. :)

However irespective of which position your light switch is in Hard Left or Hard Right or even in The Middle your car's Posterior is fully illuminated! [thumbup]

Sadly unlike US Car Makers Volvo Engineers failed to include the 'Warning Buzzer' when on Side Lights and Ignition Off, which is strange considering Ford I believe include it in the Mondeo and the majority of the Electronic Devices are from FO-MO-CO in the 2008/9 XC70! [cussing]

Sunstone_XC70
02-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not a fan of DRL's so mine are disabled by the dealer (it was a pre-requisite of me placing the order with the dealer when I bought the car). "0" means off, middle is sidelights and right is on... Great.

I guess you know where you're at with your lights with this setup...

Sunstone_XC70
02-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Getting back to the Rain Sensing Wiper feature.
The feature works on an algorithim which does not work like your brain. Your brain wants the wiper to swipe when your brain says its time to swipe but the algorithim has its own detection, reset and rate and when the algorithim says it should swipe it will swipe.
If one pays no attention to the Rain Sensing Wiper feature and just let it go and do what is does, it works very well. If you concentrate on when the wiper should swipe, then you will not like the feature becuase it will not swipe when you want. So pay no attention and let it swipe when it wants.-Dick

I think I understand what you're saying here, but what I was referring too was that my experience of rain sensitive wiping is that they're often too sensitive and wipe when there very little rain in the windscreen. Thankfully my XC's seem to work better than my last cars rain sensitive setup.

I guess you're saying ignore it and it will work fine. Well I suppose applying that logic would cover it but then to ignore everything in life would ensure a fairly quiet but boring life ?.

Surely the wipers ought to come on when my brain thinks they should be on ? Or at least when there's adequate rain ?

netpres1
03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
We just drive with the low beam on permanently. This is for safety reasons solely. Something that is particularly important for me given that it is my Wife and baby's car. Every little bit helps.

It might be a Sydney thing, but I do get flashed by other people from time to time during the day. Someone is always trying to let you know that they think you are an idiot in Sydney - such is the nature of the place.

I also drive with mine on low beam all the time.
Seems a bit of a waste to run 2x50W = 100W (i guess) of lights though.
The old 244s just used a 21W globe for DRL.

Looks like the new XC60 / S60 have DRL in the nose cone.

Inchindown
03-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Here's a graphic from the manual.

http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2008/2008_XC70/images/pg87c.jpg