PDA

View Full Version : Torque wrench suggestions, please

JayPinNC
01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
I've been searching through old threads and found a few that vaguely mention torque, and torque wrenches. I understand the importance of proper torque (as well as the need to not go broke achieving it). So can you recommend a torque wrench that will do the job?

Also...

What Nm range should I be looking at? I've seen 0-70Nm, 5-25Nm, 25-105Nm and a few other ranges.

And... is there a definitive 'guide' to torque settings on various DIY projects?

Thanks.
Jason

kain
01-27-2010, 07:35 PM
I have a Craftsman analog torque wrench with 1/2" drive similar to this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944642000P?vName=Tools&cName=Auto+%26+Mechanics+Tools&sName=Torque+Wrenches

It works just fine but does require the user to be aware of handle position when torqueing to be accurate. It has both ft/lbs and Nm scales as I am sure most do. A 'clicking' wrench would be nice but for $25 this one gets the job done. I wish it was ratcheting also. I would buy one with a 1/2" drive for possible bigger jobs and then just buy a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter to use all of your existing sockets.

JayPinNC
01-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

sjonnie
01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
I have both the 3/8" drive and the 1/2" drive Kobalt torque wrenches from Lowes. If you want to invest in just one I'd get the 1/2" drive one for the 250ft/lb torque range, but it having said that nothing on the Volvo is torqued to that high a spec, the bolts all seem to use a low torque + angle gauge. I would definitely recommend the micrometer style wrench over the beam style though, much easier to use.

slowflyer
01-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I have this one or a similar one: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00944595000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipme nt&keyword=torque+wrench which is the clicker style. Like sjonnie, I am not fond of beam style. I have had it for about 10 years, use it on several pieces of equipment.

I also have a Chinese clicker style with a larger torque rating (it looks just like the one at Harbor Freight) that I use for torquing wheel lugs. Only cost $30 and is good enough for my use.

Neither of these wrenches are good enough to have calibrated. Just replace it if you don't trust it.

JayPinNC
01-28-2010, 06:32 AM
I have this one or a similar one: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00944595000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipme nt&keyword=torque+wrench which is the clicker style. Like sjonnie, I am not fond of beam style. I have had it for about 10 years, use it on several pieces of equipment.

I also have a Chinese clicker style with a larger torque rating (it looks just like the one at Harbor Freight) that I use for torquing wheel lugs. Only cost $30 and is good enough for my use.

Neither of these wrenches are good enough to have calibrated. Just replace it if you don't trust it.

Thanks for your input. I think for what I intend to do to the car (basics things like oil change, transmission flush, brake flush, etc.) I should be good with any of the suggestions you've all made.

And the price isn't out of reach, either.

Jason

06ORXC
01-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Those Craftsman ones are very good, I have 1/2,3/8 and 1/4 drive in snap on but that just because they are very accurate.

*One very important thing is to release all the tension for storage after each use.*
If not they we loose its calibration very quickly.

billr99
01-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Those Craftsman ones are very good, I have 1/2,3/8 and 1/4 drive in snap on but that just because they are very accurate.

*One very important thing is to release all the tension for storage after each use.*
If not they we loose its calibration very quickly.

I don't know who really makes Craftsman tools, but I've had my torque wrench for close to 30 years. Not that I use it everyday and for most of my cars, it hasn't been unduly stressed; but when I had my Rovers, the thing really got a work out. I rebuilt the suspensions on all of them and it seemed that the minimum setting was like 120 ft/lbs. I know I suffered more than the wrench did.

If you are at all economy minded, Craftsman is probably the best value-for-dollar. I know I'd love to get Snap-on, but I just don't do enough to justify that kind of investment in tools. Would be cool though to have the truck show up at your house. [thumbup]

Cheers,

Bill

06ORXC
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
billr99,
What I meant to say is that I have 1/2" & 3/8" in Craftsman and love it AND 1/4" in Snap On,

I wish I could afford and justify a full set of Snap On ones but the 1/4" is used on some motorcycle stuff that is very temperamental...;)

phlight24
01-28-2010, 06:16 PM
I am a mechanic and have all Snap-on wrenches. I love them all. I recently purchased a 3/8 drive Gearwrench torque wrench for my brother and was pleasantly surprised for the cost. It was about $120 and the range was up to 100 ft/lbs which if I'm not mistaken is about the torque for our lug nuts. So far that's the highest torque I've seen on this car. If you get a 1/2 inch drive you may find it hard to get it into certain places due to the size. Good Luck and Have Fun.

JayPinNC
01-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I am a mechanic and have all Snap-on wrenches. I love them all. I recently purchased a 3/8 drive Gearwrench torque wrench for my brother and was pleasantly surprised for the cost. It was about $120 and the range was up to 100 ft/lbs which if I'm not mistaken is about the torque for our lug nuts. So far that's the highest torque I've seen on this car. If you get a 1/2 inch drive you may find it hard to get it into certain places due to the size. Good Luck and Have Fun.

Thanks for mentioning the lug but/bolt torque. As long as my wrench covers that torque, I should be good. I was a little nervous (if that's the right word) about getting a 1/2" drive because of the size, but i didn't want to get a 3/8" and not be able to do the lug nuts myself. If there's a 3/8 out there that'll get me in tight places and open spaces, that would be ideal.

Q-ship
01-29-2010, 07:31 AM
PLEAAASSEE never think of letting one of those chinese clickers touch your car. From a personal evaluation they are junk. Might as well been a breaker bar, 'cause that's what it did. @ something like 8ftlbs, it just sheared the head right off. Good thing I was testing with a useless bolt.

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE XC's.....

slowflyer
01-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I looked at my Craftsman MicroTorq. I had forgotten that it was actually made in the US.

Oh, and Q-ship, I only use the Chinese clicker for lugbolts on the XC and lugnuts on my horse trailer. It is good enough for that, at least so far. My XC is notorious for loosening wheels any time the wheels have been off the car. I now retorque them after every drive for a few days after rotations.

Q-ship
01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Slowflier,
No beef with that, pretty much using it as a big breaker bar backwards for lug bolts.
Get the extra leverage[thumbup]