PDA

View Full Version : Hu-803 stereo shows error

george_lopez
06-05-2003, 05:24 PM
I have just received my 2002 V70XC with the HU-803 stereo unit. I played with it on my first day and put in 4 commercially available music CD's and all seemed fine until the dreaded work "Error" appeared. The vehicle has only 26,000 Km on it and is otherwise in perfect condition.

The "Error" message appears intermittently (mostly while driving) and disables all CD functions while in "error" mode yet it still plays the CD. Within 2 - 30 seconds the message disappears and all functions are restored. At times it toggle between Error and normal but there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I cannot reproduce the problem at will and it seems to happen more when no one else is looking.

Luckily, I obtained the complete sevice records for the vehicle for the first year of its existence. I found two instances of the previous owner with the same problem with NO resolution from the dealer. This concerns me. I contacted the dealer and they said that they could not reproduce the problem on the poast attempts and that is why the problem was not resolved.

What should I do?
I have the car booked for the 16th but they said if they can't reproduce it they can't get the go ahead from Volvo to fix it. I'm sure if they drive it and play the CD's long enough they will see it though.

Has anyone else encountered something similar? Can you advise me on how to approach the dealer when I bring it in?

Thanks in advance

George

barrysharp
06-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Your car is still under factory warranty for 50K miles or 4 years (in USA at least). This warranty covers your HU-803. I recently had a problem with mine and the CDs could not be ejected and "Error" was present all the time. I had the unit replaced under warranty and the car had 35K miles on it. Granted in my case the "Error" was persistent and present. I'm still waiting on Volvo to return my 4 CDs http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif and it's been almost 3 weeks now.

For you as the Volvo customer your dealership should/must take your word about it being a problem. Why would you lie about this to them ?

Insist that under the warranty it should be replace with a factory refurbished unit and have them send your unit to Volvo for repairs and refurbishing.

When you get the "Error" try turning the unit off immediately and then turn it on to see if "Error" still present. If so, then next time you get an "Error" turn the unit off and march it into the Dealership and let them turn it on. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

george_lopez
06-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the quick response and good idea Barry,

The HU 803 does show 'error' after I turn it on as we found out on a trip to Banff today.  Your idea is excellent and I will do it for the dealer.  

By the way.....I love this car.  The first highway drive was smooth and quiet with adequate power.  I also own an Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 but the Volvo beats it hands down for comfort,economy, power, cargo, ammenities, insurance premiums, safety. My only complaint is that it wants to go fast.:devil:  I could not help going 85+ MPH as it seemed to want to go that fast...it went faster on the way back with the mountain chinook tail winds.  What a pleasure to drive with my wife, two infant chlidren, two golden retrievers dual carrier and lots of food.  

If anyone is reading this and you are looking at an Audi Allroad Quattro.. CONSIDER THIS CAR!!!!!!!! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

P.S.  I bought an extended warranty on my V70XC and have over 5.5 years left on it.  Audi and all other upscale manufacurers can't touch that!.  Man I am happy with this car.

George