PDA

View Full Version : Buying XC70, can't find information on some of features (Aus).

Kramer
01-25-2010, 04:58 AM
I am buying an XC70 D5 and there's some things that are not in the brochure.

Keep in mind that I'm in Australia so we have somehow different packages/options form the rest of the world probably.

There is no mention about Tire pressure monitoring anywhere (brochures, website). Is it standard (on your country models)?
How does it work, show something on the display?

What if you go driving in sand dunes and need to deflate tires. It will beep/annoy you continuously as you drive?

I am buying with Premium (Dynaudio) sound.
And there's ambiguous information about iPod integration One dealer ensured me that there's half-ass integration with you only being able to play first ten playlists but not browse music.
Another dealer demonstrated Dynaudio in V70 which connected to iPhone through USB and apparently allowed to browse music.

My main problem with Navigation System is that it only show view form the top. the "Map view" only.
On some of the pictures (other models, XC90, XC60?) you can see that Volvo Navigation system has Bird View. It's a 3D view with some perspective, like in normal navigation systems. You can also see some view mode when screen is split in half vertically.
Is "bird View" new for all models including XC70?

Can't find a good video anywhere showing Volvo Navigation in action.
I guess if Volvo Navigation is good enough to be (according to recent Top Gear episode) in Aston Martin then it's not so bad?

Every review out there concludes that car is too heavy/underpowered.
Apparently D5 had review in Sept 2009 and D5 engines after Sep 2009 are much better. Anyone have any comparison/info on that?

Thanks!

Dbone
01-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Keep in mind that I'm in Australia so we have somehow different packages/options form the rest of the world probably.

There is no mention about Tire pressure monitoring anywhere (brochures, website). Is it standard (on your country models)?

What if you go driving in sand dunes and need to deflate tires. It will beep/annoy you continuously as you drive?

And there's ambiguous information about iPod integration One dealer ensured me that there's half-ass integration with you only being able to play first ten playlists but not browse music.
Another dealer demonstrated Dynaudio in V70 which connected to iPhone through USB and apparently allowed to browse music.

My main problem with Navigation System is that it only show view form the top. the "Map view" only.
On some of the pictures (other models, XC90, XC60?) you can see that Volvo Navigation system has Bird View. It's a 3D view with some perspective, like in normal navigation systems. You can also see some view mode when screen is split in half vertically.

I guess if Volvo Navigation is good enough to be (according to recent Top Gear episode) in Aston Martin then it's not so bad?

Apparently D5 had review in Sept 2009 and D5 engines after Sep 2009 are much better. Anyone have any comparison/info on that?

Thanks!

I just found out that there is no TPMS on the Canadian models, so maybe you are facing something similar in this respect. This really surprised me given Volvo's safety mantra...

I can speak for the 3.2 motor...very underpowered in my view. T6 solves this problem.

Can't help you with the other points...

Cheers

Lotus99
01-25-2010, 10:55 AM
TPMS is mandated in the US, so it must be on all new cars, but isn't that great/accurate a system, so most other countries don't have it on their cars. BMW instead uses a flat tire monitor system in Canada, which deduces that you have a flat by comparing each wheel's speed to the others. The one that has a flat tire would have a smaller diameter/circumference, therefore rotates faster to keep up with the others.

DrJazz
01-25-2010, 02:12 PM

I have the High-Performance audio on a new 2010 XC70, and I use an iPhone 3GS with it. You can most certainly browse through all the songs/artists/etc, much as you can with the iPhone/iPod interface itself.

Cheers,

brissim
01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Kramer, Happy Ozzy Day,

I'm also looking at a 2010 XC60/70 D5 in the next month or two. My thoughts,

1. I too am puzzled by the disappearance of mention of the TPMS from the 2010 models. It is something I was going to be following up on when I got serious. My understanding is that it is of the type which has a tyre pressure sensor in the valve stem and transmits actual air pressure to the display.

2. I have always understood that certainly with the Dynaudio upgrade, you can browse music from an Ipod. You can’t with either of the two lower-spec sound systems. My experience (as painful as it is) is that Volvo dealers here in Oz aren’t that well trained with some of these high-tech details such as this and your next item about the Sat Nav. Get a demo on an XC70 with the sound system you are after.

3. Leaving aside the issue as to why you would want to fork out $4,000 for the factory Sat Nav, you must remember that all the publicity shots of the Sat Nav system are of the European model where they do have 3D imagery. Again its my understanding is that the Australian model has only 2D. However, for the 2010 models, the Aust-spec Sat Nav has been upgraded from a DVD-based system to a hard drive based system and it may have changed. Most important thing – get a demonstration and check whether it’s the 2009 or 2010 system.

4. No brainer here. Make sure you get a 2010 model with the new twin-turbo D5. The old original D5 engine was noisy, suffered to a degree from turbo lag and – for a 2.4l diesel engine – really wasn’t that fuel efficient. The new D5 engine (151kW/420Nm vs 135kW/400Nm), is much quieter, has next to no turbo lag and is nearly 1.0 l/100km more fuel efficient. And its 1 second faster to 100km/h. Unless you can get a good discount on a ’09 model with the original D5 – get the 2010 model.

Tony

Kramer
01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Kramer, Happy Ozzy Day,

I'm also looking at a 2010 XC60/70 D5 in the next month or two. My thoughts,

Hey, let's compare notes ! :)
What options do you take and how much it cost in Brisbane?
Mine is D5 LE all options except Family pack ~$90k

3. Leaving aside the issue as to why you would want to fork out $4,000 for the factory Sat Nav, you must remember that all the publicity shots of the Sat Nav system are of the European model where they do have 3D imagery. Again its my understanding is that the Australian model has only 2D. However, for the 2010 models, the Aust-spec Sat Nav has been upgraded from a DVD-based system to a hard drive based system and it may have changed. Most important thing – get a demonstration and check whether it’s the 2009 or 2010 system.

There are no 2010 models on display here in Sydney. neither anybody bought one to be informed about kind of nav system there.

I will be ordering Teknik pack which includes Navigation.
For me built-in navigation is important because:
- I don't use it most of the time and it slides inside console.
- I would hate if that small nav system will be constantly hanging on dashboard, bocking the view Is small nav system removable?
- Wouldn't want to install and remove it on every stop when you're going for the trip

I think Volvo's idea of Nav system staying in the middle of windscreen and sliding down when not used is great.
Better than what I saw in Audi, Mercedes, Lexus. They all have nav system in main console screen which is distracting and plain dangerous.

brissim
01-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Kramer,

We are looking at a replacement of our '05 XC70 and currently it’s a three-horse race with the current XC70, the XC60 and Q5. My heart is with the XC70 with its bigger luggage space and the wagon style car, but with the kids almost off our hands (we hope) we are also considering something smaller such as the XC60 and Q5.

With the XC70 we are looking at a 2010 D5 LE with ABL, PCC, Bluetooth, adjustable power steering, laminated windows and Dynaudio. At present – without any negotiation with the dealer – we are looking around $84k drive away.

With the teknik pack, I know it includes ABL and Bluetooth along with Sat Nav and BLISS, but at $6,300 it’s still a bit of a ripoff. Its interesting to note the similar teknik pack on the XC60 (ABL, Bluetooth, VNS and reversing camera) is only $4,990. Perhaps a point of negotiation with your dealer.

Tony

Kramer
01-26-2010, 02:47 AM
We are looking at a replacement of our '05 XC70 and currently it’s a three-horse race with the current XC70, the XC60 and Q5. My heart is with the XC70 with its bigger luggage space and the wagon style car, but with the kids almost off our hands (we hope) we are also considering something smaller such as the XC60 and Q5.

Yes Q5 is nice, but factory is overbooked due to high interest and dealer can deliver only about September no earlier!
Q5 is crazy popular that we couldn't get a test drive in "largest Audi centre in the world" in Sydney. They had only one Q5 and it was booked all day every day for test drives.

XC60 interior looks so cheap comparing to XC70 or 90. Interior quality-wise looked like a car class below then XC70.
Especially that glued-on "faux wood" wallpaper on console! whats the deal with that!

With the XC70 we are looking at a 2010 D5 LE with ABL, PCC, Bluetooth, adjustable power steering, laminated windows and Dynaudio. At present – without any negotiation with the dealer – we are looking around $84k drive away.

You don't take 4C? It's a must!
What about Metallic paint and PCC? For $84k I think you have these options included.

My price originally was $97k then $95, 92k. So if you're given quote of $84 without negotiation, you must get it down. As a rule- subtract 10% and aim for that.

Do you order it form factory? What delivery timeframe dealer give you?

Lotus99
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Kramer,

Tony

I don't know about you, but considering the three cars are identical in weight (within 100 lbs of each other ~4100), the XC60 and Q5 are an inch wider and a couple of inches taller than the XC70, but only 8 inches shorter, I wouldn't consider them that much smaller than the XC70.

Yes Q5 is nice, but factory is overbooked due to high interest and dealer can deliver only about September no earlier!
Q5 is crazy popular that we couldn't get a test drive in "largest Audi centre in the world" in Sydney. They had only one Q5 and it was booked all day every day for test drives.

There's good reason for that. Audi's been doing great lately, because they build awesome cars. I had an A4 for 8 years. They had double digit growth here in Canada last year even during the recession, while Volvo's sales were like halved, and have been consistently slipping every year.

Dbone
01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't know about you, but considering the three cars are identical in weight (within 100 lbs of each other ~4100), the XC60 and Q5 are an inch wider and a couple of inches taller than the XC70, but only 8 inches shorter, I wouldn't consider them that much smaller than the XC70.

There's good reason for that. Audi's been doing great lately, because they build awesome cars. I had an A4 for 8 years. They had double digit growth here in Canada last year even during the recession, while Volvo's sales were like halved, and have been consistently slipping every year.

Check out some of the audi boards that talk about the Q5. People are having all kinds of problems with them...I too considered one, but in the end prefer the XC...to each there own...

Cheers

brissim
01-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Kramer, yes sorry, the $84k included metallic paint. PCC also as indicated. Haven't sat down with dealers to discuss price yet. We still have to decide which vehicle we want.

On the issue of 4C, I remain unconvinced about its value for the high-riding XC70 - especially at $4,000. I've sampled it in both the V70 and S80 and certainly, I can see some benefit for those vehicles. Can't test it on the XC70 because no dealer has any demonstrators with 4C. From what I've read on this forum and others (swedespeed etc), the option is divided. I've even read one comment (can't remember where it was) which suggested the comfort mode in 4C was actually firmer than not having 4C at all. At the end of the day I'm willing to sacrifice handling for ride comfort - after all, the XC70 is not a sports car.

With the Q5, yes the waiting list is long - 9-10 months here in Brisbane. But the 3.0l diesel is a pearl. Only real issue I have with the Q5 is price - apples for apples comparison with the XC60 is its around $12k more expensive. Its good, but not that good.

My point about the size of the XC60 and Q5 relates to luggage space. Overall size and weight of all three (XC60/70 & Q5) are about the same. With only two of us now, we don't need all that extra luggage space. We shall see.

Tony

exfive
01-28-2010, 06:39 AM

Thanks!

Hello, I have 60k up in mine - all been a good experience for me. You can see details/pics (full option list etc) and so on at my flickr pages below.

1. Anyway, I wished TPMS was available but nogo two years ago when I placed my order. You can download the owners manual to see what the behaviour would have been...

2. I have Dynaudio (great sound) but I have aux-in only - I am no help with what became available later...

3. The Nav is expensive and inflexible. I use a iPhone on a great vent located mounting. Set up addresses before you get in the car and so on with much cheaper updates too. I wouldn't bother - my 2c only though !

4. I wish I had the new motor but the "old unit" isn't that bad/slow compared to some (have a look at the specs on a new Prado !). I average 8-9l/100km...

No one hassles me with the XC but drive a Q5, X5 etc and you get labelled as a badge driver. Quite nice being a bit "different" ! Not many cars can you option laminated windows in !

I don't like the XC60's dumpy looks and the dash looks rubbish IMHO compared to the XC70 (all wonky and that dashtop pod thing - urgh...)

Dbone
01-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Hello, I have 60k up in mine - all been a good experience for me. You can see details/pics (full option list etc) and so on at my flickr pages below.

1. Anyway, I wished TPMS was available but nogo two years ago when I placed my order. You can download the owners manual to see what the behaviour would have been...

2. I have Dynaudio (great sound) but I have aux-in only - I am no help with what became available later...

3. The Nav is expensive and inflexible. I use a iPhone on a great vent located mounting. Set up addresses before you get in the car and so on with much cheaper updates too. I wouldn't bother - my 2c only though !

4. I wish I had the new motor but the "old unit" isn't that bad/slow compared to some (have a look at the specs on a new Prado !). I average 8-9l/100km...

No one hassles me with the XC but drive a Q5, X5 etc and you get labelled as a badge driver. Quite nice being a bit "different" ! Not many cars can you option laminated windows in !

I don't like the XC60's dumpy looks and the dash looks rubbish IMHO compared to the XC70 (all wonky and that dashtop pod thing - urgh...)

Well its nice to see that it is at least possible to go 60k without a problem on these cars...lol