PDA

View Full Version : 2001 V70XC - 2nd Trans replacement & Viscous Coupler damage...

Rockginxc
01-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I wanted to continue this thread because it has become a saga.

Original problem with the transmission shifting issues from 2nd to 3rd gear seems to be too common - servo issues. The entire transmission needed to be replaced. The dealer did the work as well as replacing the CV joints (which actually made the car feel great). The transmission came with a 12 month warranty. This is where the saga continues.

Literally 13 months after I got the car back, I was again having transmission problems. It felt like 1st gear wasn't engaged at all and the car was starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear. It was revving up to 2K - 3K just to get moving. It didn't feel like it was "slipping", it just felt like I was in too high a gear to get going..very sluggish. In addition, at highway speeds if you took your foot off the accelerator, the transmission would drop out of gear and rev at about 600-700 rpm, but I could hear the engine revving much higher. Again, this is exactly one month after the warranty ended and I had driven the car less than 7,000 miles. Also, the car's computer did not show any warning messages or any fault codes.

I took the car back...obviously unhappy and even more so when the service guy reminded me that the warranty ended a month ago. They test drove the car and confirmed that it needed ANOTHER new transmission which usually costs about $5,000+. After a little "you've gotta be kidding me" conversation, they said that Volvo will throw in a new/rebuilt transmission for free, but I would have to get a much of other "safety" work done to complete the deal. In test driving the car they said that the front sway bar links had to be replaced, it needed new front brake rotors and pads front/rear, a new left axle, and a rear exhaust bracket. The total cost was $1,753.93. Also, the new transmission would only come with a 3-month warranty this time since it fell under the warranty of the other new transmission...they said (It like a dealership riddle).

For once I didn't haggle, complain, or stomp around (I don't really stomp around). I did need new brakes, so I agreed..thinking for that sum, the car would be in great shape and solid. When the car was done, Service called me and said the after completion test drive was done, but the car has a whine that's coming from the Viscous Coupler and did I ever notice this sound. BTW, I've been working on cars (specifically BMWs for over 25 years). I never heard that sound and said "no". I do know that the Viscous Coupler is attached to the front axle which not only did they have to replace on the left side, but would have to disconnect to remove the transmission.

I went to go pick up the car tonight after hours, but before I left the keys to the loaner car in their drop box, I took my XC for a test drive. The whine was unmistakable...and was certainly not there before I dropped it off. It also made a slight creak/crunch sound as the car was turning and decelerating below 5mph. I drove the car twice up and down to make sure and the sound was truly unmistakable. It wasn't there before and they didn't mention it when they first test drove the car. I left my car, placed my key in their drop box and took the loaner back.

Because I have not worked on Volvo AWD cars, I wanted to ask knowledgeable people on this forum about this Viscous Coupler and the possibility of them damaging it or whacking it out of balance during reassembly of the transmission and axles. I also felt a vibration very near the driver's side floor pan..near my feet. My assumptions are based on my knowledge of working on BMW vehicles and cars/drivelines in general. I hope a few of you can give me some good information regarding this issue.

Thanks very much.

RD

Chilled Man
01-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Service called me and said the after completion test drive was done, but the car has a whine that's coming from the Viscous Coupler and did I ever notice this sound. BTW, I've been working on cars (specifically BMWs for over 25 years). I never heard that sound and said "no". I do know that the Viscous Coupler is attached to the front axle which not only did they have to replace on the left side, but would have to disconnect to remove the transmission.

:eek:

who said the VC was attached to the front axle .........................[sly]

JRL
01-23-2010, 11:13 AM
The VC is ALL THE WAY in the REAR of the car, attached to the REAR diff/axle

sjonnie
01-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Literally 13 months after I got the car back, I was again having transmission problems. It felt like 1st gear wasn't engaged at all and the car was starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear. It was revving up to 2K - 3K just to get moving. It didn't feel like it was "slipping", it just felt like I was in too high a gear to get going..very sluggish. In addition, at highway speeds if you took your foot off the accelerator, the transmission would drop out of gear and rev at about 600-700 rpm

These symptoms will occur if there is no power to the front drive axles or one of the drive axles is broken / disengaged. If you drive aggressively like this, it will damage the VC and you end up with the whine you can now hear.

Aviator
01-23-2010, 01:03 PM
After a little "you've gotta be kidding me" conversation, they said that Volvo will throw in a new/rebuilt transmission for free, but I would have to get a much of other "safety" work done to complete the deal. In test driving the car they said that the front sway bar links had to be replaced, it needed new front brake rotors and pads front/rear, a new left axle, and a rear exhaust bracket. The total cost was $1,753.93.

I'd be looking at legal action if I were you.....what you've just said amounts to extortion. Those repairs having nothing to do with a properly operating transmission.

Dave.

RockitShip
01-24-2010, 02:59 AM
That blows! I agree with Aviator. total B.S. Find a good lawyer and then sue their asses!
If ever there was a time to get pissed off, now is that time! Show them no mercy. [cussing]

Aviator
01-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Yep.....ya gotta go for the jugular!!

Dave.

Rockginxc
02-09-2010, 10:45 AM
So here's the update:

- after paying $1,700 in additional work to get the transmission done.
- going to pick up the car and hearing the clear whine and feel a vibration that did not exist before dropping the car off.
- Palisades Volvo telling me that it was the Viscous Coupler that needed to be fixed and that it wasn't their fault....

I wrote an email to Chris Dauerer who is the head of Volvo Customer Service in NA (this was 10 days ago). The dealer then called me a day later and said that Volvo would fix it. I thought, "holy crap...that's fantastic" and started to feel better about the brand...standing behind their product and all.

But then...a week past and I heard nothing. I finally called the dealer to see what was going on. The service tech said that the entire rear differential had to be replaced and I would have to pay and additional $2,460.65 to get the work done and my car back. So that's over $4,160 that the dealer is requiring to get my car back. They said that Volvo will only cover 50% of this...meaning that the total fix would be $4,541!!!

This is just crazy!!!

The sentence that came after, "you'll need to replace the viscous couple and the rear differential" was..."we're not taking any responsibility". I thought this was incredibly suspect. Between fixing the transmission, replacing the axle and the 80 mile test drive (one of the service people took the car home and back after the transmission work was done)...someone screwed something up. Besides the transmission being stuck in 2nd gear and it falling out of overdrive on the highway...the car drove perfectly well - no noises, perfectly aligned, no vibrations from the rear end...nothing. I'm not even sure why they replaced the left axle, but I agreed to this as part of the additional work to get the trans. done and to get my car back.

I'll post another update when I have it.

kamiar
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Don't pay them a penny... the whole story is fishy, it seems some one has screwed something up at some point, probably during the test drive, last time my car was in a dealership, they charged me near to 1000 CAN in parts and labor for what was not necessary to rectify the problem i was complaining about. I got a full refund and also the new part remained on the car.

At first when i joined the auto forums and seeing most people were referring to the Dealerships as "Stealership", i had sort of a bad feeling, thinking they are also running a business etc... but now i know WHY!

Aviator
02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Call your lawyer NOW!!! Also, any Better Business Bureau or similar consumer advocate group, go public as in television, internet (get in touch with Freya Svenson). Call your lawyer NOW.

Dave.

Rockginxc
02-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Here's the update:

As mentioned, the dealer, did not and would not take any responsibility for the viscous coupler failure, but eventually said that Volvo corporate would cover it. They didn't contact me for over a week and when I called them for an update, they said that it's actually the coupler, clutch, and rear differential that needed to be replaced at an additional cost of $4,600...and again, that it was not their responsibility. They did say that Volvo corporate would step up to the plate again and cover 50% of the cost, but I'd still have to pay another $2,300-$2,400.

There was no way that I was going along with this. I spoke to Bill Casey extensively. I actually appreciate greatly that Volvo Corporate was trying to remedy this situation, but that the dealership made a huge mistake at some point and was trying to get corporate to flip the bill. I have no issues with Corporate, but this dealership was fully to blame. It was impossible that this major failure would/could come out of nowhere, especially since the dealership took the car for test drives before, after the trans. was done, etc... Unbelievably, Corporate was able to pressure the dealership and the entire cost of the work/parts was covered.

Bill Casey is a rare, very rare, true customer service person that does not pass the buck. I can't thank him enough for his care and persistence withe the dealership.

To review, within 3 weeks, the car has had about $10,000 worth of work at the dealer! I paid $1,700+ of it for tangential work that they said I needed to do, to get the initial transmission replacement.

I picked up the car, gave back the loaner and was so happy to "get outta Dodge". However, I could not believe my ears...there is still, still, STILL a bearing or axle noise coming from the front end. The noise increases in speed or decreases as the car speeds up or decelerates. As you can imagine, I'm absolutely furious, but there is no way I'm going back to Palisades Volvo. I just dropped of my XC70 at my local shop, who I've been using for over 15 years. I'll find out what the sound is this afternoon.

Bill Casey and Volvo corporate, I really appreciate all the work and $$$ that you've laid out to help me out. I think the overall brand support is fantastic, however, at the dealership/franchise level there are some serious issues in regards to mechanical and ethical competency. I'll figure this last (I hope) issue out with my local shop). They can actually listen to and have the experience diagnose a mechanical issue without only relying on computer code number spit out by VIDA to tell them what they should do.

Rockginxc
02-20-2010, 06:27 PM
my independent shop told me and I saw with my own eyes that the NEW differential is leaking in 2 places: under the rear cover and near where it meets the viscous coupler. In addition, the drive shaft is dented where it meets the viscous couple from what looks like a pry bar being used to separate or loosen it from the VC. The underside of my car at the rear is covered in differential oil...I'm not exactly sure how much has leaked out already.

I've already sent another email with video links and pictures to Volvo corporate. I'm in complete disbelief. I know it's possible, but is this really possible that a service dept. could screw up to this degree.

At this point, it's at the edge of being criminal if not free falling within the confines of criminal and this franchise should not be able to operate. How can this be possible? I'm also so incredibly tired of writing about it...but they keep on screwing up...in a huge way!!!

Chilled Man
02-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Like I said on SS those bolts are the wrong one for the Driveshaft ....

Rockginxc
02-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Here are some pictures as well as the video link I posted:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/rockgin/volvo5.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/rockgin/volvo4.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/rockgin/volvo3.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/rockgin/volvo2.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/rockgin/volvo1.jpg