PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm missing something but...

Dbone
01-22-2010, 04:57 AM
Did any of you guys bother fitting your XC70s with the available mud guards? I have always done so on my other vehicles and saw the advantage in doingso, but isn't the lower cladding inherent on the XC good enough?

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

mgbannister
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I put them on my '08 and I'm glad I did. I think they look good and they keep the fender areas cleaner from wet road spray.

exfive
01-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Did any of you guys bother fitting your XC70s with the available mud guards? I have always done so on my other vehicles and saw the advantage in doingso, but isn't the lower cladding inherent on the XC good enough?

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

I have them on my car (pics on the flickr site below) and I do think they help keep things cleaner. Won't help fuel economy though...

The Rears are standard here and seem chunky (stick out a bit) but the fronts seem a bit more integrated...

Dbone
01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I have them on my car (pics on the flickr site below) and I do think they help keep things cleaner. Won't help fuel economy though...

The Rears are standard here and seem chunky (stick out a bit) but the fronts seem a bit more integrated...

Wow, those are some nice detailed shots of your car. You really took some time there and detailed some stuff...

As for the impact on mileage of the mudguards....Just what we need over here...our engine options provide horrible gas consumption as it is...I see what you mean...the rears really stick out big time...I'm definitely not a fan of the look of them on this car...

I had to laugh when I saw that picture of your dash showing over 1000km remaining on the tank of gas. Not something we will see over here. Must be nice.

Your car looks great, especially in white! I'm not brave enough to buy a white vehicle. I'm too lazy with the cleanin too :-)

Cheers

Lotus99
01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Your car looks great, especially in white! I'm not brave enough to buy a white vehicle. I'm too lazy with the cleanin too :-)

Cheers

White generally looks cleaner I thought than darker colours? Silver is always your best choice for hiding dirt though!

Lotus99
01-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Search on this site works really well, by the way. A quick search of "mud guard" showed these two links:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14091

AND

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12823

Dbone
01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
White generally looks cleaner I thought than darker colours? Silver is always your best choice for hiding dirt though!

Agreed, I have historically gone with silver on all of my vehicles. We're thinking Oyster grey with this car...try something different...

Cheers

Dbone
01-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Search on this site works really well, by the way. A quick search of "mud guard" showed these two links:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14091

AND

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12823

My bad...nobody's perfect....LOL

Dbone
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM

BTW: Are those the 18 inch Minos wheels you have on your car? I really think they look great. As I mentioned in another post on here, I'm looking to keep the standard 17 inch wheels that come with the car for my winters and get some summers. Your pictures are pretty good for showing these wheels off. I like them a lot.

Cheers

Lotus99
01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
No worries. Search on the "other" site I'd say close to sucks. Barely gives you any results, there's this wierd concept of archiving posts I don't understand, and their fix for search is to give you the option of Google searching the site... :rolleyes:

Dbone
01-29-2010, 12:17 PM
No worries. Search on the "other" site I'd say close to sucks. Barely gives you any results, there's this wierd concept of archiving posts I don't understand, and their fix for search is to give you the option of Google searching the site... :rolleyes:

I find looking for information on these cars is difficult at best. That's what you get when your into niche products :-)

budrichard
01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I have or should really say had front and rear mud flaps on my XC70's. The 2003 XC70 has now lost both front mud guards during off road excursions so I won't be replacing them as it will just eventually happen again. So if you are planning on really taking your XC70 off road, I wouldn't put them on. If you stay on the road they do help somewhat but in icy snowy conditions i always knock the accumulation off the guards, otherwise it melts in the garage into a big mess.-Dick

Dbone
01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I have or should really say had front and rear mud flaps on my XC70's. The 2003 XC70 has now lost both front mud guards during off road excursions so I won't be replacing them as it will just eventually happen again. So if you are planning on really taking your XC70 off road, I wouldn't put them on. If you stay on the road they do help somewhat but in icy snowy conditions i always knock the accumulation off the guards, otherwise it melts in the garage into a big mess.-Dick

Gotta 2008 Toyota 4runner...far better suited for any offroading I might do...

XC will be a city slicker only...

Cheers

exfive
01-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Wow, those are some nice detailed shots of your car. You really took some time there and detailed some stuff...

As for the impact on mileage of the mudguards....Just what we need over here...our engine options provide horrible gas consumption as it is...I see what you mean...the rears really stick out big time...I'm definitely not a fan of the look of them on this car...

I had to laugh when I saw that picture of your dash showing over 1000km remaining on the tank of gas. Not something we will see over here. Must be nice.

Cheers

Thanks for the photo comments - I initially added pics of things that seemed to be of interest to others (on messageboards) and of aspects that weren't explained anywhere I could find before ordering etc. Thought it may be a interesting resource for some but I have just added other appropriate pics since...

White is a default choice here in Australia. The only other "new" XC70 where I live (that I have seen) is white too.

exfive
01-30-2010, 06:10 AM
BTW: Are those the 18 inch Minos wheels you have on your car? I really think they look great. As I mentioned in another post on here, I'm looking to keep the standard 17 inch wheels that come with the car for my winters and get some summers. Your pictures are pretty good for showing these wheels off. I like them a lot.

Cheers

Yes, they are Minos wheels. BTW. The full car spec is under the flickr profile.

I went for the 18's (part of a pack here) simply for the look but the Minos don't seem to be available here at present - our choices are now the standard 17" Sargas with optional 18" Merac's.

exfive
01-30-2010, 06:36 AM
There appears to be two different rear mudflap designs...

Mine - http://www.flickr.com/photos/2008xc70/2538235537/

And what is on the Australian Volvo site as an accessory...

http://www.volvocars.com/imageweb/39ff4518-bc57-48e2-a6ad-cc9a510b2fbe.jpg

I wish I had the others !!!

Dbone
01-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the photo comments - I initially added pics of things that seemed to be of interest to others (on messageboards) and of aspects that weren't explained anywhere I could find before ordering etc. Thought it may be a interesting resource for some but I have just added other appropriate pics since...

White is a default choice here in Australia. The only other "new" XC70 where I live (that I have seen) is white too.

For sure man...it was pretty neat and helpful to look at for sure...thanks for doing that...

Now that's community spirit at play right there [thumbup]

Dbone
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Yes, they are Minos wheels. BTW. The full car spec is under the flickr profile.

I went for the 18's (part of a pack here) simply for the look but the Minos don't seem to be available here at present - our choices are now the standard 17" Sargas with optional 18" Merac's.

It is the same over here...the T6 here comes with 17 inch Sargas and for 500 more CND dollars you can get the 18 inch Meracs instead. I took a look at the Meracs today when I was doing the deal on my car at a Volvo dealership here locally. They looked pretty nice. I think I like your Minos better...personal preference. My actual preference would be a set of 19 inch Diamond cut XC wheels from Volvo but they are currently not being sold due to some unspecified quality control issue...

We will see...I have several months to decide before taking delivery. I'm hoping that they sort of the quality control problem before then on the 19s...

Cheers

Dbone
01-30-2010, 12:54 PM
There appears to be two different rear mudflap designs...

Mine - http://www.flickr.com/photos/2008xc70/2538235537/

And what is on the Australian Volvo site as an accessory...

http://www.volvocars.com/imageweb/39ff4518-bc57-48e2-a6ad-cc9a510b2fbe.jpg

I wish I had the others !!!

Quite a difference there for sure...either way I still think I prefer the look of the car without them...with the cladding that comes standard on the car I'm not really sure that having them on there is doing much to protect the car. With this said I will probably not bother...

Cheers

Lotus99
01-30-2010, 04:51 PM
My actual preference would be a set of 19 inch Diamond cut XC wheels from Volvo but they are currently not being sold due to some unspecified quality control issue...

We will see...I have several months to decide before taking delivery. I'm hoping that they sort of the quality control problem before then on the 19s...

Cheers

Sounds fishy to me... The car probably won't be made for another month or two at least, if you're not getting it til June (I think that's what you said in the other thread). How can they not sort out a simple wheel quality issue (which they've been making for years - those are not new wheels) in a couple of months?

You couldn't put in your order now including 19's, and then worst case, have them downgrade you to 18's if they're not ready by ship date?

Dbone
01-31-2010, 05:58 AM
Sounds fishy to me... The car probably won't be made for another month or two at least, if you're not getting it til June (I think that's what you said in the other thread). How can they not sort out a simple wheel quality issue (which they've been making for years - those are not new wheels) in a couple of months?

You couldn't put in your order now including 19's, and then worst case, have them downgrade you to 18's if they're not ready by ship date?

The 19s are an accessory. You cannot just pay an upcharge and get them instead as far as I understand. As for the quality control issue, I can't imagine why Volvo would lie about such a thing. They are in the business of making money and those rims are the most expensive ones they sell for the XC70.

It's probably some supplier issue where the finish is coming off or something, or stability issues where the rim is not perfectly round, or something...more likely the former...who knows...

It's probably just as well because once you get into that size your tire options are extremely limited and they are expensive...

Cheers