PDA

View Full Version : 2004 XC70 maintenance schedule

WALL-E
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi guys,

Can someone confirm at which service interval I need to get my timing belt changed. There seems to be a discrepancy between my owners manual that says 168,000km maintenance service and the service schedule on volvocanada.com that's saying the 192,000km maintenance service.

I'm at 165k now so I'm hoping the website is correct... however I don't want to miss it if it's at 168,000km. Not sure if the Xc70's has an interference or non-interference engine and I don't want to find out the hard way either.

Thanks!

justthefacts
01-21-2010, 08:04 PM
This is the thread for you:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12482
I believe the correct figure is 168,000km (105,000mi).

kamiar
01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
This is the thread for you:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12482
I believe the correct figure is 168,000km (105,000mi).

I changed it at 100,000KM, it was advised by the dealer because we live in area with severe climate conditions, and the belt had some cracks on it already.

billr99
01-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Every TB I've done on a white motor has been around the 168K mark. That includes cars that have sat in the sea air around here and ones that spent a lot of time outside in the Great White North of North Bay. In all cases, I have never seen a belt that had any extreme indications of a pending failure. That is, no major cracks, splits, etc.. Also the belts were either OEM-labeled belts or Continentals.

Cheers,

Bill

WALL-E
01-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like quite the debate went on on that other thread that kamiar referred me to. Guess when I take my car in for the 168k service I will ask them to take a look at the timing belt. Anyone have an idea what this kind of job might cost me? Volvo here in Ottawa's charging 105$/hour!

colin
01-23-2010, 05:33 PM
it was advised by the dealer because we live in area with severe climate conditions, and the belt had some cracks on it already.We were told that about our V40.

I got my belt replaced a couple of weeks ago on my XC70 at 155,306 Km. Cost was $89.95 parts $287.38 labour.

Willy
01-24-2010, 02:18 AM
In my experience, timing belts are the kind of things some dealers use to "create" jobs for themselves, it is
not too difficult to "seed" doubt in the mind of the owner, seen the severe consequences of a broken belt.
Following the manufacturers schedule (168K) should be perfectly safe (in this case :))
Willy

JRL
01-24-2010, 05:49 AM
You don't "look" at it, nothing really to look at most of the time
Most of the time the failure is a broken tensioner, not the belt itself and it will fail with no warning
Change it now and sleep better. Timing belt breaks, no more engine!

kamiar
01-24-2010, 11:55 PM
I was checking the invoice and it seems they didn't change the tensioner on mine...

Is it possible to change the tensioner without removing the TB?

billr99
01-25-2010, 05:36 AM
I was checking the invoice and it seems they didn't change the tensioner on mine...

Is it possible to change the tensioner without removing the TB?

Well sort of. You loosen the tensioner enough to slack up the belt and pull the tensioner. But that would be a real half-arsed way of doing it if you were paying someone. From some of the horror stories I've heard, it would seem that its the tensioner that fails catastrophically rather than the belt. Both are bad, of course, but a seized tensioner really lunches the front of the motor.

I would suggest that if you cannot determine definitively that the tensioner and idler were changed, you get that done straight away. If you are lucky a tensioner/idler going bad will start to whine, but its not guaranteed to happen that way.

Cheers,

Bill