PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Motor 2003 XC70

jdp6000
01-21-2010, 06:01 AM
I just noticed that my rear wiper is not returning to its resting spot. It stops just about anywhere. Any suggestions on what would cause this?

Is the motor on the way out? Or is there a relay somewhere?

Jim

Willy
01-21-2010, 06:45 AM
This issue can have a number of problems. There is a relay involved, see the attached pdf.
The wiper relay is 2/72, the small drawing at upper right shows its location. 2/93 is the
washer relay,2/16 is the intermittent wiper relay and 6/32 is the wiper motor itself. Should
you find nothing wrong with the wiper motor itself, you may take a look at the wiring to the rear
hatch, the wires breaking is a common problem, see:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8034&page=2&highlight=rear+hatch+lock
Willy

jdp6000
01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
This issue can have a number of problems. There is a relay involved, see the attached pdf.
The wiper relay is 2/72, the small drawing at upper right shows its location. 2/93 is the
washer relay,2/16 is the intermittent wiper relay and 6/32 is the wiper motor itself. Should
you find nothing wrong with the wiper motor itself, you may take a look at the wiring to the rear
hatch, the wires breaking is a common problem, see:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8034&page=2&highlight=rear+hatch+lock
Willy

Thanks Willy. I didn't even know there was a relay. I'll look.

Jim

Mike_v
01-21-2010, 03:27 PM
and don't forget to check this thread:
" tail wiper does not work while fuses are OK. (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14574)"

Willy
01-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Most (if not all) things are switched via relays, low voltage systems require high currents and therefore,
using a relay "relieves" the electronics from switching these high currents. Furthermore, a relay is a good
way to isolate the input from the output (important in case of a short circuit "downstream").
Willy

jdp6000
02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Most (if not all) things are switched via relays, low voltage systems require high currents and therefore,
using a relay "relieves" the electronics from switching these high currents. Furthermore, a relay is a good
way to isolate the input from the output (important in case of a short circuit "downstream").
Willy

It wasn't the relay. i tried another one does the same thing. Opening and closing the door doesn't make a difference either.

The wiper works when switched on...no problem. But when you flick the switch off thre wiper stops where ever it wants. It could be any place.

Any new suggestions?

Jim

xcbody
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
The wiper motor has an internal cam that contacts the power connectors during the stroke. This enables the motor to return to the home position when it is switched off during its stroke. In the home postion the cam does not contact the connectors. The motor will stop in unusual positions if the cam has come loose, connectors have come loose, or with any motor, when it is on its way out. Mine gave up last week - fitting a new one tomorrow 268 euro plus vat. I will crack open the old one and let you know what i find.
I have had previous experiance with this on other Volvos front headlight wiper motors. I tried fixing them with a combination of others as spare parts, but no joy.Again the only fix was a new motor.

Aviator
02-12-2010, 08:39 AM
There has to be a voltage feed for that park circuit to work, though. The problem is most likely the wiper motor itself, but if it were me I'd be making absolutely sure there are no broken wires in the wire harness going through the tailgate hinge that may prevent that voltage feed.

Dave.

kain
02-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I had the same issue with my car, turned out it was the wiring harness for the lift gate. All the years of flexing and moving fray some of the wires internally, they were not visibly frayed without removing the wires sheath. New harness and the wiper is working fine.

Aviator
02-12-2010, 08:56 AM
flexing and moving fray some of the wires internally, they were not visibly frayed without removing the wires sheath.

That's right. You can have an open wire without seeing any visible signs of it on the insulation. I usually feel for any soft spots with my finger tips and then when I find one I'll pull the wire with two hands lightly. The insulation will either thin out where the wiring is open, or it will tear apart.

Dave.

xcbody
02-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Just replaced the motor all is fine again. On dismantling the old one, I found nothing wrong with the contacts. ( if you are going to do this, mark the radial position of the gear w.r.t. the housing.) I then bridged the contacts to get it to run (the work of the gear) so that the motor would have no load on it to start. It started and stuttered and stopped. The motor was defective.
New motor runs fine, however there are 2 types so ensure that you get the identical one that is in your car (for a XC70 from ch.no. XXXXXXXX, not V70!!) more V70's were built for the same time period so they got the new wiper later in the chassis number sequence. If your dealer does not recognise this you will end up with the wrong one!!!
No drama fitting the new part, a little difficult to remove the wiper arm to do corrosion of aluminium. Tempted to hit the old wiper shaft with a hammer but very close to the glass! Patience is needed.

Aviator
02-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Ye had the luck o' the Irish with ye!! Sorry....just had to say it!! Cheers!!!

Dave.

r-p
02-15-2010, 01:43 AM
One very important clue it whether you hear a clicking noise inside the motor. Like the clicking of a relay.

If you hear this, it's a current draw issue due to the motor seizing up.

Way too much information on this error in my post here: clicky (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13281).

jdp6000
02-16-2010, 06:28 AM
I will tackle this in the spring. Way to cold right now. I'm wondering if the blade froze to the window and caused the gear to jump?

The motor works but stops when ever it wants. If I flick the switch on and off enought times I eventually get it to stop where it should. If I need a new motor I'll change it.

xcbody
02-19-2010, 05:20 AM
Ye had the luck o' the Irish with ye!! Sorry....just had to say it!! Cheers!!!

Dave.

You're all after me lucky charms!!!

kain
02-19-2010, 05:47 AM
The motor works but stops when ever it wants. If I flick the switch on and off enought times I eventually get it to stop where it should. If I need a new motor I'll change it.

Again, don't forget to check the wiring harness. I had the same exact symptoms and it was frayed wires. Haven't had an issue since it was fixed (about a year).

Good luck.

Aviator
02-19-2010, 02:25 PM
You're all after me lucky charms!!!

Mmmm.....cereal....mmmm.

Dave.

jdp6000
02-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Again, don't forget to check the wiring harness. I had the same exact symptoms and it was frayed wires. Haven't had an issue since it was fixed (about a year).

Good luck.

You might be on to something. Rear hatch is now acting up. Sometimes it won't open.

Jim