PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Failure

northwest
01-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Not the bulb, not the fuse, doesn't seem to be the wiring. Why is my driver side headlight not working?

Willy
01-16-2010, 02:37 PM
That doesn't seem logical. Since it may be of help, I have attached a pdf of the schematics.
I don't know the MY of your car, but I don't think there have been many changes during the years.
You can try to measure 12VDC at the connector (if you don't have a voltmeter, use a bulb)
Willy

Chilled Man
01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
check the part that holds the bulb itself

I have seen a few of those burn up and melt

Aviator
01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I believe there is a shunt somewhere in the circuitry. This was the source of this problem for a few people last year or the year before.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11901&highlight=shunt

Dave.

billr99
01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
check the part that holds the bulb itself

I have seen a few of those burn up and melt

Also check the socket. The plastic used is recyclable which also apparently means that it will gradually break down due to heat. I needed to replace both of mine on the low beams. Got 3 pair (H7 sockets) with nice long leads from China via eBay for $10 for the whole deal.

Cheers,

Bill

Aviator
01-17-2010, 12:09 PM
nice long leads from China

Oh brother......sick isn't it !?!

Dave.

billr99
01-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh brother......sick isn't it !?!

Dave.

Something Freudian I suspect.

Bill

wgriswold
01-17-2010, 01:55 PM
My headlight socket fell apart when I took it off to replace a bulb. I just cleaned up the push on connectors and put them on with no socket. I am a little worried about the lack of insulation. Anybody have any ideas about providing insulation to a connection that seems to bet pretty hot?

billr99
01-18-2010, 06:46 AM
My headlight socket fell apart when I took it off to replace a bulb. I just cleaned up the push on connectors and put them on with no socket. I am a little worried about the lack of insulation. Anybody have any ideas about providing insulation to a connection that seems to bet pretty hot?
That's why I just replaced the plugs. Its pretty tight in there and its tough to get the leads out far enough to get heat shrink or even tape on them. It was hard enough getting the new plugs spliced but I figured they wouldn't rub against the housing and wear thru any dicey tape job.

Good luck,

Bill

wgriswold
01-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Here is a thought. Is there some sort of high temp silicon glue that could be smeared over the push on connectors to insulate them? That might allow the connectors to be disconnected for bulb replacement and still prevent any shorts. It has been awhile since I replaced the bulb and I can't remember if that might work.

slowflyer
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I replaced my sockets too. What a PITA working in that cramped space. I got replacements at AutoZone or Schucks for $10 or less.

When I was at the dealer parts counter (unrelated issue) I saw a parts schematic that made it look like you could get replacement sockets from Volvo (the socket had an identifying number anyway). You might want to check that out.

billr99
01-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I replaced my sockets too. What a PITA working in that cramped space. I got replacements at AutoZone or Schucks for $10 or less.

When I was at the dealer parts counter (unrelated issue) I saw a parts schematic that made it look like you could get replacement sockets from Volvo (the socket had an identifying number anyway). You might want to check that out.

I did check that out. You get exactly what came on the car, with all its faults, for about 4 times the cost of the "environmentally insensitive" ones that you can get from eBay, Autozone, or wherever that don't dissolve with heat.

Cheers,

Bill

wgriswold
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, that is why I didn't replace mine with the OEM part. I didn't know that environmentally bad ones that actually last were available. I think that an environmental solution is often worse that the alternative because it is not suitable for the purpose it is designed for and replacement over the years is worse that the original solution.

billr99
01-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, the environmentally sensitive ones are designed to bio-degrade or to be recyclable. I think in the case of these plugs that requirement makes them breakdown under sustained high heat such as that in the headlamp housing. Mine just kind of crumbled when I went to replace a bulb. You would have thought that the engineers involved would have figured that one out unless there are no plastics available that have all the necessary characteristics, which I find hard to believe. :confused:

Cheers,

Bill

icegrill
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Does anyone have the part number for these, mine just crumbled.

billr99
02-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Does anyone have the part number for these, mine just crumbled.

You are just looking for standard H7 (assuming low beams) sockets. Should be able to pick them up at NAPA or similar parts place. If you replace with OEM (PN 8659674 according to VIDA - which is the whole harness for each housing BTW), you will just be back in the same boat once they see enough heat and time. The standard H7 sockets don't cost that much. I would be surprised if they were more than $5.00 USD per. I bought 3 pair off eBay (from China, of course) for $10 CDN and I think that even included shipping.

Cheers,

Bill