PDA

View Full Version : Tranmission Drain Plug Crush Washer

Snowmobileaddict
01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
It is my understanding that the transmission drain plug is in the red box in the photo below. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I'd like to know if someone could provide a part number or some direction on where to buy (online) some crush washers for this drain plug. I was getting conflicting opinions on whether or not the crankcase oil drain plug crush washers that I get from IPD have the same dimensions as the transmission drain plug crush washer. Thanks!

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/image/167414-original.jpg

Aviator
01-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Yes, that is the drain bolt. All the drain/fill bolt sealing washers are identical. HOWEVER.....the torque values are different for each location. IPD sells the sealing washers. They are normally aluminum, but copper ones will work just fine. Just take a used one to an auto parts store and they should be able to supply you with plenty (beats getting raped for them at the dealer).

Dave.

jmoser
01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Just did mine - 40 NM on the ATF drain bolt.

I use a Fumoto valve on the oil pan.

wgriswold
01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
When I bought washers for the oil, bevel gear, transmission, and rear differential from my Volvo dealer I got two kinds. They seem to be the same size but one type was copper and the other seemed to be aluminum. I have forgotten which is which.

billr99
01-13-2010, 01:46 PM
When I bought washers for the oil, bevel gear, transmission, and rear differential from my Volvo dealer I got two kinds. They seem to be the same size but one type was copper and the other seemed to be aluminum. I have forgotten which is which.
Every one of my originals were aluminum. Only time I've ever seen copper is when its a plug into a steel surface, like a steel sump or a steel diff housing.

Cheers,

Bill

howardc64
01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Both my 01's had copper washers originally but I switched out to Aluminum during the ATF flush. No problems. I use the same one as on the engine oil drain bolt.

wgriswold
01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
I went out and checked the bag the dealer put the washers in and it is marked copper for bevel and rear diff. I have no idea why I got two different kinds.

r-p
01-13-2010, 02:35 PM
I said it was the same washer for engine and tranny when I wanted one at the dealer, but he only got one hit searching for the ordernumber he found for the engine-washer: the oildrainplug-washer for the engine.
When he did find the transmissiondrainplug, he confirmed it WAS the same ordernumber.[thumbup] (AW55-51 tranny with D5244T engine iirc)

So one more confirmation the engine drainplug-washer and the transmissiondrain-washer are the same, and should therefore both be aluminum.

I torqued it by hand until I felt it loosening suddenly. I figured this was me feeling the aluminum deform*, so I stopped there. Should I get the torquewrench out and redo it at 40Nm?

*: the old washer was clearly deformed, I still have it somewhere if pictures are needed.

Aviator
01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
I torqued it by hand until I felt it loosening suddenly. I figured this was me feeling the aluminum deform*, so I stopped there. Should I get the torquewrench out and redo it at 40Nm?

Too late!! You can't reuse the seal without it leaking. You'd be better off to just leave it until next time.

the old washer was clearly deformed

It will be deformed....it's aluminum and very malleable in order to create a seal.

Dave.

r-p
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Too late!! You can't reuse the seal without it leaking. You'd be better off to just leave it until next time.

Yep, I didn't mean redo as in 'unscrew', but more like put a torquewrench on it and torque it to 40Nm. If I overdid it already, it won't make much difference, if not, then it's about time I did it right. :)

It will be deformed....it's aluminum and very malleable in order to create a seal.

I thought the case was also aluminum, so I didn't expect as much deformation as I found on the old one. On both sides of the washer.