PDA

View Full Version : Sound Issues

HammyUK
01-13-2010, 03:17 AM
HAve a 2001 XC of which I'm happy. Picked it uo last week for WAY less than what it should of been :p
Apart from the B4 servo fix which I'm doing this weekend, the problem I have is this -
I only have sound from the centre speaker.
It has everything - Sat Nav, TV, HU-803 and the 6 CD changer in the boot.
It won't read the boot cd, not even the Nav discs.
It comes up with "TV error" although there is a picture just hissing from the front speaker.
It says "cd error" on the HU but will happily play the discs in the HU.
BUT there is always only sound from the centre speaker.
All the fuses are ok, don't know about relays if there are any as this is the 1st Volvo.
What/where should I be looking?
I've read about the mod to cut the bass level, but I want it to have sound first before I start anything else.

Art
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
IIRC, the older RTI system consisted of two components, the RTI module and companion CD changer. It almost sounds as if there is a problem with one of the Melbus cables or with the connectors/terminal ends, possibly leading from the AUM to the RTI module or perhaps to the amplifier located under the passenger seat.

You obviously have power to the RTI since loading/unloading discs from the changer appears normal.

This older tech bulletin might explain some of the problems associated with the cables.

Audio System - CD Changer/Player Inoperative
NO: 39-31
DATE: 9-30-2002
MODEL/YEAR: MY99- S80, MY01- S60, V70, and V70XC
SUBJECT: Radio DIN Cable Faults
CHASSIS: N/A
REFERENCE: N/A
DESCRIPTION:
In some cases it been reported that the trunk mounted CD-changer or in-dash CD-player is not working, and are not available when turning the Radio source knob. This can happen on systems with or without extra accessories such as Volvo Navigation System, CD changer, TV as long as there is a DIN cable installed in the AUM.
Other cases have reported that the Volvo Navigation System, or the Volvo Navigation System display is not working correctly, the display is going up and down, the display is black, etc.
When adding Volvo Navigation System accessory, there may be failures in downloading or Volvo Navigation System inoperative after downloading. In this case, verify the Volvo Navigation System has power, ground, and the correct DIN cable properly installed.
Sometimes a humming noise can be heard in one or several channels. These sounds may or may not be heard through all sources in the radio.
Most of the above listed symptoms can be caused by a bad terminal in one of the DIN cables (Melbus cables) which are routed between the radio, CD-changers, Volvo Navigation System and TV tuner. NOTE : The DIN cable may be present in the vehicle even without any related accessories. The faulty terminal is most likely to be backed or bent during assembly, or has an internal short to either the DIN cable ground or another signal, resulting in either a permanent or intermittent fault.

SERVICE:
If a symptom is that the AUM can not find the in-dash CD player, it is easy to verify the fault by unplugging the DIN cable(s) from the AUM. If the AUM can now find its internal CD player, there is a fault in one of the cables.
Note :The DIN (Melbus) cable is similar to the CANbus. An error somewhere in the system can disturb the functionality overall. If a customer complaint is consistent with the above symptoms, start disconnecting accessories one by one starting with the one farthest away from the radio; CD-changer - TV tuner - Volvo Navigation System in that order. Then try the amplifier that has a separate connection. The cables must be disconnect at each end, one end at a time. Once the symptom goes away, the last disconnect cable is likely to be the root cause of the customer complaint.
If a bad terminal can not be found: Continue by wiggling the DIN (Melbus) connectors at the Radio, CD-changers, Volvo Navigation System and TV-tuner, to see if the symptom can be duplicated. This may check the female connectors inside the unit for possible intermittent contact in the connector or a bad soldering of the female terminal to the main board.

HammyUK
01-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Just out of interest - what is the second set of cables behind the head unit?
looks like another set of antenna, power and possibly optical wrapped in sponge?

Art
01-14-2010, 12:02 PM
If you're referring to the wire harness going into the larger green connector, I believe it's for power, antenna power, ground, canbus and center speaker channel output. The grey connector near the bottom left of the HU is for the antenna connections.

To the right are the two DIN ports. One is for the optional external cd changer and the other is for the aux amp.

HammyUK
01-14-2010, 01:55 PM
No, I'm referring to a completely seperate set of cables that are bundled and tucked behind the dash next to the same cables that are connected to the HU.

Just to clarify again.
I have -
HU-803- now recognises the in-dash cd's without showing an error
Pop up screen - shows TV and Nav
TV - shows channel but has "TV ERROR" and only static hiss from centre speaker
Nav - comes up with error saying that no compatible discs are inserted - they are the RTI Nav discs
CD-Rom changer just cycles round and round unless I eject the cartridge.
No sound from any speaker other than the centre and all the fuses I can find are ok.

HammyUK
01-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Rear of HU-803

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/HammyUK/15012010336.jpg

Speaker Cables

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/HammyUK/15012010334.jpg

The "Extra" cables - any ideas? They look VERY similar to what is plugged into the RTI.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/HammyUK/15012010333.jpg

TV Tuner

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/HammyUK/15012010337.jpg

RTI

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/HammyUK/15012010338.jpg

CD-Rom changer

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/HammyUK/15012010339.jpg

Rear fuse board

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/HammyUK/15012010340.jpg

Have checked Volvo's installation diagrams and they have nothing for before MY04 and it shows the DVD/RTI single unit.

So I'm stumped.

Art
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Not sure about those extra cables…any idea where they originate? Could the nav discs be scratched or damaged? I would also look at the cable/speaker connections to the aux amp which might explain why you're only receiving a signal from the center speaker. The output for the center speaker is controlled by the AUM. Oops, just came across your post on SS.

If it's of any help, I’ve also attached a PDF of the wiring schematic for the RTI.

HammyUK
01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Not without pulling half the dash out.
They don't seem to appear anywhere else.
Will have to through a continuity tester on them and start tracing them.
Had the top off the changer and its not pulling the discs in, just tapping the ends and then saying there's no compatible discs in there.
Considered swapping the RTI out for the later DVD/RTI but the screen connection completely different.
Could do with a legend for the schematic though, cheers.

HammyUK
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
The amp is toast - the magic smoke has escaped and left its burnt brother behind.
So another one is needed for that.
Anyone got one lying around?

Also the cd-rom is def playing up. Had the lid off and it isn't pulling the discs in only touching the edge and then saying "no compatible disc" is inserted. Will try a good clean and go from there.
As for the TV tuner? God knows, have the picture but still says "tv error" on the HU.

As for the other cables - oe phone install from the schematics.