PDA

View Full Version : Tranny drain bolt location

kain
01-11-2010, 02:28 PM
In an attempt to not completely f*** my transmission I want to see a pic of where the drain bolt is so that I can perform a simple drain and fill. I don't want to guess and end up removing a band anchor bolt or some other critical, should be marked "DON'T TOUCH", bolt.

I know I need to remove the protective belly shield first but haven't been able to find a picture that points out the location. Anyone have one handy?

Aviator
01-11-2010, 02:58 PM
You can't miss it. When you're laying under your car with your face under the angle gear, it's directly to your left at the bottom of the transmission and the head of it faces the passenger side of the car. You need a 24mm or 15/16" 6 point socket (a wrench will do but you can use a torque wrench with a wrench). Use a new drain bolt seal (same as engine) and remove the dipstick from its tube so it will give the transmission case a vent, and drain the oil a little more vigorously. I funnel mine into an empty 4L water jug until it stops, then I fill an identical jug with the new oil to the same level as the one with the old oil, and then dump it in. You can control the flow of oil with the drain bolt as well; don't take it right out and let the oil fly......loosen it all the way and angle the bottom of the bolt outwards and then direct the oil into the funnel slowly.

Dave.

sjonnie
01-11-2010, 03:13 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/skyliner33v/dec09166.jpg

It's that ^ big bolt on the bottom left of the picture.

kain
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
As always, thanks to all.

Changed the tranny fluid in the wifes rough-shifting 1997 Accord tonight, took about 15 min total. Fluid was nearly black.

I'll get to the XC this weekend, it appears to be just about as easy.

davew
01-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Where are the do not remove bolts that foul up the works.:confused:

Ocean Racer
01-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Where are the do not remove bolts that foul up the works.:confused:
All of them except that 24mm bolt indicated in the picture.

Dave [Aviator] , where do you top up manual trannys after draining ?

RockitShip
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Always refill ATF through the dip stick tube... it's small and narrow
and yes, a PIA and requires a narrow funnel and artful maneuvering.
Whatever you do, do NOT try to refill via the bolt on top of the trans
near the refill tube as tempting as it may seem, this is the bolt you alluded to.

Check fluid level when car is running and has warmed up. It's almost exactly
3.5 liters (or quarts) that comes out with a drain & fill.