PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question - 06 xc90 2.5t or '08 taurus x?

winnipegtibook
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I know, this is a stupid question, apples to oranges. Considered adding to the current fleet (2006 awd 2.5t), and looking for a bigger people mover.

I know the X uses the xc90 platform and the haldex awd system. I realize this is where the similarity ends, but looking for best value for money hopefully around 20k CDN. Anyone interested in commenting?

Please don't flame my post for the dumb question.

Forkster
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I've seen here at Valentine Volvo in Calgary, almost a dozen 2006 2.5T's for sale on their lot - they're a very popular model for that year and all of them were lease returns. As for the comparison to a Ford Taurus AWD X, to the XC90, hmmm... Would you rather have an over-engineered for safety XC90, or a meeting the standards TaurusX? What is more important?

Also, the 2006 XC90 would have lost its initial resale depreciation where as the Taurus, well, it's a Taurus. There is no end for its drop in value until it hits $1-2000.

Also, stay away, far away, from the T6 option as they eat transmissions for breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snacks. The 2.5T or the V8 are good options, unless gas consumption is a concern. Some find the 2.5T lacking a lot of punch for the side. A friend who has a 90 added the IPD softloader with good results. It seems that the extre horsepower was enough to pass and tow on the highway.

dmd
01-07-2010, 06:01 PM
With the potential balance shaft problems if the v8, go with the 2.5t

winnipegtibook
01-07-2010, 08:57 PM
hi guys,

i have done ALL my homework (or at least I thought I did) and am leaning towards the xc90 ('06), but then read about taurus x using the 90 platform, and halex awd and well, realized it's a few grand less (canadian).

30 grand for an '06 xc90 is out of my league $$$ wise. but i guess that's the price one pays..

dmd
01-08-2010, 09:49 AM
It isnt all about the running gear, there is much more to the xc90 (safety). Do understand
the $$ part though.

Forkster
01-08-2010, 11:01 AM
All the reviews I've read about the Taurus X deals with concerns about fit and finish, and that it's a re-badged Freelander that failed miserably. If they put crappy quality parts in the interior, what are the chances they've used similar parts for struts, CV joints, coils, belts, engine mounts, alternators, etc?

For me, a car that has nice F&F (like all Japanese autos), means they've really put smart engineering into the car. Our Volvo's are built like tanks with good F&F. Not Lexus quality, but pretty good.

Forkster
01-08-2010, 08:24 PM
You can definitely score a 2005 for $20k. If a Volvo dealership in Calgary is selling CPO 06's for $26-30k, what are the chances of finding a good non-CPO private for $21-22?

Also, have you asked JRL on what he can import into Canada for you? The dollar is nearly on-par. A 2006 2.5T XC90 typically runs around $17-21k depending on options and mileage.