PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to get a floor jack for the first time... some questions from a noob!

Lotus99
01-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Since I've got winter tires now on both cars, I figure rather than shell out $100 per car twice a year, I'll swap them myself.

I know little about jacks though, so here's a few questions you can help me with hopefully:

1 - Came across a "low profile" jack locally, it's rated a 1.5 ton jack. That's a 3000 pounds rating. So if one says conservatively my other car weighs 4000 pounds, and you're lifting one corner, how much weight is it supporting? One quarter of the car?

Or at the most the front differential, that would be half the car's weight?

Is there a rule of thumb that you should use a jack with a rating of xx pounds for lifting a car weighing a maximum of xx pounds? I need to use this jack for our 2009 XC70, which I guess is 4500 pounds, so I'm wondering if it will be good for this too.

2 - I notice it lifts almost 15 inches. I've seen some others do 20 inches. With the Volvo, I wonder if 15 inches would be high enough to get the tire sufficiently high enough off the ground? The wagon has as much ground clearance on it as a regular SUV.

3 - Lastly, as far as getting a 3/8 vs. a 1/2 drive torque wrench, that's just the size of the socket that fits on the wrench? So is going with the 1/2 means it's tougher because of the bigger socket? Or is it that certain cars use the 3/8 vs. 1/2 for others and I need to find out first?

Thanks!

PS Here's the jack: CLICK HERE (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/CreepersJacksStands/PRD~0090021P/Motomaster%2BAluminium%2BJack.jsp)

Chilled Man
01-07-2010, 07:23 AM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950156000P

this I have that same crap jack from harbor freight and its nothing but junk.

Get a heavy metal one from sears thing last forever .

Go with 1/2" one and make sure you get a deep socket for the lugs

Also if it doesnt lift it high enough put a block of wood on the jack or some 2x6 under the jack to get it up higher.

Lotus99
01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the tips Chilled. Is the one in your link the one to avoid, or the one you have? It's gotten really bad reviews it seems, with most saying it failed after a while.

Thanks for the tip on using wooden blocks to lift up the jack! Brilliant!

XCovlov70
01-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Whilst my XC70 has a Volvo supplied jack in the 'Emergency Wheel' well under the floor shelf, which will happily lift one side of the car to get both wheels off at a time, but use a chock on the wheels still on the ground.

I also use a 2 Tonne Trolley Jack with a 3inch wooden block on the lifting pad of the jack as the pad digs into the wood along with the car body and ensures it stays in place when the car comes off the ground at that point.

I am also assuming from your comments that you do not get supplied with the sockets and lever to remove the wheel studs?
This car came with both sockets 'Anti Theft' and 'Normal' which from memory is 19mm, but no Torque Wrench for tightening them up again, bit of a bummer that. :mad:

budrichard
01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
I have the 'heavy Sears thing'. It's great but if you plan on going under the vehicle, get some 8x8 blocks made at a local lumber yard for safety. Even when we put the front end up on ramps we use blocks for safety before getting under the vehicle.-Dick

740gle
07-18-2018, 02:10 PM
I have the 'heavy Sears thing'. It's great but if you plan on going under the vehicle, get some 8x8 blocks made at a local lumber yard for safety. Even when we put the front end up on ramps we use blocks for safety before getting under the vehicle.-Dick

Where do these blocks go?

pbierre
07-18-2018, 04:52 PM
I no longer trust the scissors jack that comes with the car. I've had one "pop out" under full load (1/2 the vehicle weight), and it could have ripped my hand off if I'd been in a different position while cranking it. The issue is that this jack is not designed for anything other than emergency wheel change. Even on that case, you have to get the foot placed in the correct position or the forces will collapse the jack.

That said, I bought the Harbor freight steel minijack, and use it to lift 1/4 of the car at a time, just high enough to get a jack stand under. This is a much safer approach.

740gle
07-18-2018, 05:34 PM
I no longer trust the scissors jack that comes with the car. I've had one "pop out" under full load (1/2 the vehicle weight), and it could have ripped my hand off if I'd been in a different position while cranking it. The issue is that this jack is not designed for anything other than emergency wheel change. Even on that case, you have to get the foot placed in the correct position or the forces will collapse the jack.

That said, I bought the Harbor freight steel minijack, and use it to lift 1/4 of the car at a time, just high enough to get a jack stand under. This is a much safer approach.

Yes, that jack is just for emergency to quickly swap the wheel. WHere under the car do you put the minijack to raise it, and the jack stands to hold it? Frame members?

goldxc70
07-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Scissors jacks should be used very carefully and only if unavoidable. Some are worse than others but they are mostly cheaply made and can be dangerous. NEVER, EVER get under a car on a scissors jack.

OP, the Canadian Tire jack you're looking at is fine. Just make sure to use the correct jacking points and wood blocks to get the height you need. I find a couple of 2x4 offcuts will almost always do the job. Get a couple of jack stands as well if you ever intend to get under the car.

pbierre
07-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Yes, that jack is just for emergency to quickly swap the wheel. WHere under the car do you put the minijack to raise it, and the jack stands to hold it? Frame members?

The best way to describe jack placement would be with photos. Can someone help that way?

pbierre
07-20-2018, 06:58 PM
This video is about changing the Haldex AWD fluid, but it shows him using a floor jack and stands on his 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZNC06Z7imQ

740gle
07-21-2018, 02:50 PM
This video is about changing the Haldex AWD fluid, but it shows him using a floor jack and stands on his 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZNC06Z7imQ

Quite an elaborate process. He is using floor jack under the rocker panels - is it the same locations the scissors jack supposed to go to? What is it on the jack - looks like a cloth? Also it's pretty clear how it is done in the rear subframe, but where did he put the jackstands in the front?

goldxc70
08-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Saw this and thought it might be helpful (although details will differ): https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volvo-V70/03-BASICS-Jacking_Your_Vehicle/03-BASICS-Jacking_Your_Vehicle.htm

v70+xc70
08-01-2018, 06:51 PM
For tire changing the sears unit is good. My three ton version bought two decades ago still good. Consider getting axle stands as well, because once you start looking under the car you'll quickly learn how easy it is to replace pads for example.