PDA

View Full Version : Toyota bottle says: T-IV = Dexron III HELP!!!!!

r-p
01-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Hi guys,

Just went to a Toyota garage to pick up their T-IV transmission oil because it is, according to several Volvo enthousiast sites, the same as ATF3309.

That stuff is friggin expensive at Opel-GM, Saab, Volvo or car-parts shops, so I was lucky to find the Toyotadealer doing it for close to 10€ ($14.50) per liter.

I get there and I have a look on the label and it says: "Meets performance requirements of GM6417M (Dexron (R)-III G)"

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

So the question: use or not?

Geartronic 2004
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6719/dsc04608h.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8148/dsc04610r.jpg

Chilled Man
01-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I wouldnt

why not order the 3309 online ?

r-p
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I wouldnt

why not order the 3309 online ?

If you know of a proper site, this might be a good option.
But beware I am in the Netherlands, and taxes are pretty much killing for anything I try to import...

Aviator
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Relax....it's the right stuff. What it's saying is it's acceptable for use in applications that call for Dexron III. Its qualities, and compatibility, are above and beyond those of Dexron III. Believe me it IS 3309 oil; I confirmed this a couple of years ago with my Toyota technical trainer who confirmed it with Esso Canada, and Mobil (I work for a Toyota dealership). Rest easy friend....it's the correct oil at a fraction of what Volvo and others want.

Dave.

r-p
01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Relax....it's the right stuff.

That's what I wanted, no, needed to hear! Thanks.

I hope you understand why that phrase threw me off and why I needed confirmation I wasn't about to shorten the life of this misused police car even further...:p

it's the correct oil at a fraction of what Volvo and others want.

Almost 40€/5 liters, or close to 12 US$ per liter (~11$ per quart or so?)
But indeed cheaper than Opel/GM, Volvo, or caraccessory shops...

While I'm at it: my just acquired ODB reader spews out P0748: Pressure control solenoid "A" electrical, is that the gearbox solenoid 'standard' problem?

I'll get packing to go to a heated garage to do some oilchanging!

r-p
01-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Done. 15liters, 14 used 1 as backup in case the level is low.

Wasn't fully red or fully clear when the oil ran out though... But close enough I guess.

Aviator
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Good to hear!!! You'll notice a difference!!

Dave.

r-p
01-08-2010, 02:59 AM
Good to hear!!! You'll notice a difference!!

Dave.

Hope so... for now I'm just very, very careful in driving, as I had the Transmission Service Required message reappear a couple of times.

I'm now trying to locate the solenoids and its connectors to do some resistance measuring and contact checking, as it says that's where the problem lies. (P0748, Pressure Control Solenoid "A" Electrical, where the "7" apparently points to the gearbox)

After that I'm diving into the P0088 problem (Fuel rail/System pressure too high, but that's not throwing a MIL, so hopefully not priority one). That'll keep me occupied...[sly]

JRL
01-08-2010, 06:21 AM
The solonoids are INSIDE the tranny, you cannot do anything with them.

r-p
01-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Thanks. I was more thinking of the electrical connections on the solenoids itself, I assumed they might be inspectable from the outside. And since having an 'electrical' problem, the always failing contacts are an easy target to look at.

I did find four connectors for the (ABS-like-)sensors and the solenoids and sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner. (Touch wood). So far the message has stayed away, and the funny thing is that the fuel-rail message is gone also.:confused:

I wanted to actually do some resistance measuring, but it was freezing cold, so I was glad to even be able to open these 'watertight' connectors, and simply stuck with spraying them with the contact cleaner.

billr99
01-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks. I was more thinking of the electrical connections on the solenoids itself, I assumed they might be inspectable from the outside. And since having an 'electrical' problem, the always failing contacts are an easy target to look at.

I did find four connectors for the (ABS-like-)sensors and the solenoids and sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner. (Touch wood). So far the message has stayed away, and the funny thing is that the fuel-rail message is gone also.:confused:

I wanted to actually do some resistance measuring, but it was freezing cold, so I was glad to even be able to open these 'watertight' connectors, and simply stuck with spraying them with the contact cleaner.

The one time I had the "Transmission Service Required" message and the XC went into limp home mode, I found that the connection from the transmission selector switch to the main harness had gotten wet (a bit too energetic going thru a fair size "puddle"). This fairly large connector is located just aft of the driver side headlamp housing on my '02. A good dose of silicone spray and then dabs of silicone grease in the connector, as well as a more conservative approach to driving in heavy rain, I haven't had any problem since. Might be worth checking that one.

Cheers,

Bill

r-p
01-18-2010, 03:23 AM
This fairly large connector is located just aft of the driver side headlamp housing on my '02.

'Driverside' is always tricky, as I am a lot on UK forums as well :)

The plugs I sprayed were 4 in total, 2 smaller ones, 2 bigger ones.
They were located between the radiator, the driverside/lefthandside headlight and the airfilter. So I am assuming one of them was the same plug [thumbup].

billr99
01-18-2010, 06:40 AM
'Driverside' is always tricky, as I am a lot on UK forums as well :)

The plugs I sprayed were 4 in total, 2 smaller ones, 2 bigger ones.
They were located between the radiator, the driverside/lefthandside headlight and the airfilter. So I am assuming one of them was the same plug [thumbup].

Sorry about the "drivers side" terminology. I fell into that LHD thing. Yes, the plugs you are referring to are the ones. The big ones are the tranny plugs, I believe; but it does not hurt to give them all a dose of waterproofing. Has it helped?

Cheers,

Bill

r-p
01-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Sorry about the "drivers side" terminology.

No worries. I just have to remember to have a look if it's a xxx.co.uk forum or a .com forum :lol: Then again, some .com forums may be british, which makes things very confusing...:)
I am/have a normal LHD like you.

Yes, the plugs you are referring to are the ones. The big ones are the tranny plugs, I believe; but it does not hurt to give them all a dose of waterproofing. Has it helped?

Have not seen the problem again. The behaviour of the gearbox itself has not improved either since the flush and the cleaning (isopropanol spray, haven't sprayed them for water tightness).
The message P0700 was still or again in the memory, so maybe I am not able to remove this? Strange, as when I clear everything, it is gone, but week later it was there again, but WITHOUT the MIL being on (P0700 is a request to turn the MIL (the orange triangle) ON, so I am not going to worry about that one unless it actually turns itself ON again).