PDA

View Full Version : 2001-newer XC70: I'm shopping... Advice?

NonFiction
12-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Hello there,

First post here and I hope it is not considered in too bad form to post a question straightaway. I've done a bit of searching and read the FAQ stickies, etc., but not seen this thread exactly.

I'm a longtime Honda and Toyota driver, currently preparing to retire our '98 Civic with 166K miles on it. My wife and I have just had our first kid, and we want something more reliable and safer. The budget tops out at probably $12K, with a pretty strong preference for $10K.

The Volvo XC70 has always kind of turned my crank, and now I see where it looks like I can get into one in good condition, with under 100,000 miles within my budget. I've never driven one, and I'm pretty sure I'll like it when I do.

So my question? My question is this: From my homework, I'm skittish about the transmission. I can't afford to be replacing a tranny on my 'new' car that I just blew my new car budget on. How can I be sure that the trans will be sound?

Any other big things to look out for? Red flags under the hood or in the service records? I there a particular combination of model year and options that is to be avoided (or sought out)?

I'll be grateful for any advice--even if it's to point me to another thread I already should have found and digested.

Cheers!

NonFiction
12-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Well, that nice Howard fellow, my neighbor in the Seattle area, sure has a heck of a resource in his nice site (http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/helpfulsites.htm)!

In my opinion this kind of thing is the highest and best use of the internet.

howardc64
12-23-2009, 12:06 AM
How can I be sure that the trans will be sound?

Any other big things to look out for? Red flags under the hood or in the service records? I there a particular combination of model year and options that is to be avoided (or sought out)?

- Avoid 01s for both electronic throttle (ETM) and transmission issues
- Some 02s seem to have tranny issues as well
- 03 and above has better engine, improved tranny and AWD system but maybe out of $10-12k range in Seattle area
- Unless the mileage is say under 50k, look for ATF changes in the maintenance record.

NonFiction
12-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Howard,
Thank you for the chime-in. I found the same with regard to 2003+ models being out of my pricerange mostly. I'm not averse to doing a fly-and-drive, if there's somewhere where the market is plumb on these things. Ideas there?

Anyone have one, or know of a good one for sale? (at which point this sort of becomes a WTB ad I suppose...)

kain
12-23-2009, 04:45 AM
JRL might have something to sell you.

JRL
12-23-2009, 05:53 AM
JRL might have something to sell you.

Same thing
AVOID 2001 and 2002 Volvos

I have a real nice 2000, (only 68K miles) probably within your price range

NonFiction
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM
@JRL,
Where are you? What are the miles on your wagon? Probably looking for the newer body style--my wife just said, 'I think we need a car from this decade.' Contact me off-list if you like; email is best. Thanks.

Forkster
12-23-2009, 03:48 PM
For JRL buying - tell him how much you can spend and he can tell you what is available and the big options you're looking for.

- HID lites (depends on taste)
- Booster seats (nice if you have kids)
- Navigation (nice if you often get lost)
- third-row seating (nice if you have kids)
- Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC) (really really nice and great in crappy weather)
- Leather (nice if you have kids)

Did I mention the XC70 is also a great car if you have kids? :D

JRL
12-23-2009, 03:59 PM
@JRL,
Where are you? What are the miles on your wagon? Probably looking for the newer body style--my wife just said, 'I think we need a car from this decade.' Contact me off-list if you like; email is best. Thanks.

As I said above, 2000 XC, 68K miles, booster seats, new transmission, new spring seats, new brakes and new tires
Fully serviced.
Philly PA area

There are plenty of 01's and 02's around, most have high miles and most are crap
There are very few 03's as 2003 was a very short model year and now the 04's are coming back with fairly high miles as they are now 6-7 years old cars!
I would help to know what price range you're in.
You can contact me directly if you wish at jrl1194 (AT) aol.com
Merry XMAS