PDA

View Full Version : ABS Defect?

Werz Waldeau
12-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I recently purchased a 2001 V70 XC. I have been experiencing a rhythmic clicking/grinding/pulsing at the brake pedal when I brake, even at low speeds. It doesn't happen every time I brake, but it happens frequently. I'm familiar with the grinding of worn pads and/or warped rotors, and I'm pretty sure that's not it. I have seen it suggested that this may be the result of a defective/dirty ABS wheel sensor, and one way to initially determine that is to pull the fuse for the ABS. The owner's manual shows two fuses for the ABS in the engine compartment fuse box: numbers 14 and 19. Therefore, I have these questions:

1. Does anyone know of any reason that this is definitely not an ABS problem?

2. If it might be an ABS problem, is there any reason not to temporarily pull the ABS fuse, as long as I drive safely and avoid any situation where ABS might be needed?

3. If it's OK to pull the ABS fuse, do I pull 14, 19, or both?

--

'01 V70 XC 2.4L Turbo, 80K
'86 740 GLE B230F, 223K
'83 760 GLE D24T (EDD)

JRL
12-21-2009, 05:41 PM
pull tha damn fuses and see.
If you are a good driver, 99-44/100%of the time ABS should not be necessary
I've been driving Volvos for 14 years and I think the ABS actually functioned 2 times in that period

Werz Waldeau
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
I've been driving Volvos for 14 years and I think the ABS actually functioned 2 times in that period

I've been driving Volvos for about the same period. Until now, none had ABS. I have no idea what to expect.