PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what torque value the lug nuts on the XC70 should be?

Lotus99
12-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Want to double check the new winter wheels we put on are still good, as I've heard it's good to re-torque wheels after 100 miles or so when switching wheels.

All I've found on this topic is that the typical size 14 bolts this car comes with are recommended for 85 - 95 by default.

But each mfr might deviate from the standard. I know my BMW's size 12 bolts should theoretically only be set at 70-80, but BMW recommends 88.

Look at the bottom of this page:

click here (http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?LugCount=5&StudSpreadInch=&StudSpreadMM=108)

XCovlov70
12-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi,

I presume by 'Lug Nuts' you also mean 'Wheel Nuts' of which I have 5 on each Alloy wheel making 20 in all.

Owners Manual says 120nm so I set the Torque Wrench to this and off we go.

If you overtighten them I understand that it can crack the alloy.

Another tip I learned a few weeks ago was to put a smear of High Temperature (Copper Based) grease on the steel flange that the wheel bolts up against. This enables easy removal of the wheel. The alloy corrodes and so does the steel flange making the wheel very difficult to get off having removed the Wheel Nuts.

I subsequently checked the High Temp Grease a few weeks later after some long drives and hot days and there was no running or spread of the grease and the wheel came off very easily after I took the wheel nuts off.
My local Tyre Depot told me about the tip when I went for 2 new Kumho tyres for the back wheels as the tyres that come fitted are not good in snow or winter weather.

Lotus99
12-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks! That's 88 ft lbs, so it falls within the range I saw above for those bolts by default. Odd I can't find it in our manual. Looked everywhere.

DrJazz
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Our owner's manuals may be different, Lotus99, but on page 258 under the section "Changing a wheel -> Re-installing the wheel", it says:

Step 4. Lower the vehicle to the ground and alternately tighten the bolts crosswise to 103 ft. lbs. (140Nm).

Hope this helps,

Lotus99
12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks for finding that. Odd. I did a search in the PDF manual before for "nm" and didn't find it. I just did it again, and found it, but it says:

Lower the vehicle to the ground and alternately tighten the bolts crosswise to 62 ft. lbs. (85 Nm).

So I checked the paper one in the car too, and it says the same thing.

That's really odd that for the 2010 model it's that different. But the one in my manual and online seems really low to me and doesn't jive with that info in the other link I posted which is the default values for those bolts? Now I'm really confused what to do! :confused:

Wheel installer put them at 90 ft lbs from what I remember...

Lotus99
12-20-2009, 03:30 PM
PS Even on Tire Rack's site it says 14/1.5 lug bolts by default are supposed to be set for 85 to 90 ft lbs...

Lotus99
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Our owner's manuals may be different, Lotus99, but on page 258 under the section "Changing a wheel -> Re-installing the wheel", it says:

Step 4. Lower the vehicle to the ground and alternately tighten the bolts crosswise to 103 ft. lbs. (140Nm).

Hope this helps,

I took off the bolts yesterday, and there's a cone shaped washer below the bolt head. Do your bolts have that too? I wonder if maybe the use of those things doesn't require as high a torque setting on the bolts?

When I called the dealer's service dept., the shop forman also said 103 ft lbs too though, which is a lot closer to the default torque setting on these 14.x1.5 bolts too, so I'm thinking I'll ignore my manual and go with 100...

EDIT: I looked up the online 2008 manual and that says 62 ft lbs too... :confused:

Inchindown
04-19-2010, 11:56 PM
My XC70 was new last month, and the owner's manual lists 140 nm (103 ft/lbs) as the torque to be applied to the wheel nuts.

Lotus99
04-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Yes, the 2010 manual definitely says 103 ft lbs. The odd thing is that the 2008 and 2009 manuals both say 62 ft lbs only. The standard spec for an M14x1.5 bolt is to be torqued to 85 to 95 ft lbs, so unless somehow the bolts on the 2008 and 2009 model year are different than standard ones (and the 2010's, since it's very close to the standard), it doesn't make any sense that they'd be that much lower.

To be safe, I've put them at 100 for now, but I hope it doesn't cause problems.