PDA

View Full Version : 16" wheels on a T6 = "Not Recommended"

DrJazz
12-16-2009, 08:52 AM
So, I'm getting ready to buy a new 2010 XC70 T6 (Electric Silver, black interior - woot!) and I want to get a second set of rims for my winter tires. Even though the T6 comes standard with 17" wheels, I was just going to get a set of 16" steel rims for the winter.

However, the dealer says that 16" wheels on the T6 are NOT RECOMMENDED because apparently the T6 has larger brakes than the 3.2. So it's an issue of both a) will the wheel even fit over the larger brakes, and b) proper ventilation for the brakes. There are also no 17" steel wheels you can get for this car (steel wheels at this size just aren't strong enough) so if I want a set of winter rims I have to buy some seriously expensive alloys! The dealer is going to double-check to see if the 16" steel rims are technically do-able, even if not recommended.

Can any other T6 owners comment on their winter tire solutions?

Thanks,

Lotus99
12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Good luck on the purchase, if you go ahead. Hope yours is built better than ours! :p

It's hogwash. I've got 16" alloy wheels on our car, and while the clearance is tight, it's fine. It's not like we're tracking the car for constant massive buildup and the wheels I have are 6 spoke, so I'd say they're open enough for ventilation... :rolleyes:

To configure, just got to Tire Rack and see what they give you. If they say it fits, it will. You can get it shipped to your house, and have a local tire shop mount them for you. Any new bolts or hubcentric rings, or whatever that are needed are thrown in free too.

Or take the deal to a local tire shop and get them to match it. Most big ones will nowadays or at least come pretty close.

There's lots of 16" wheels there. I paid $1050 CDN plus taxes for a set just a month ago! How's that for a deal? :D LOL! Guess you didn't read 5 threads down before posting this topic... It's my thread called "What to do for winter tires and wheels. Size & wheel Q's..."

My dealer here sells 16" steel wheels for the T6 too. They're around $1300 if I recall correctly. He did mention that they needed to be slightly bigger than the usual steel wheel or something because of brake clearance. I'd have been crazy to get these over alloys when they cost less!

Forkster
12-17-2009, 07:48 AM
That's what I did Doctor J - didn't listen to the dealer. All they want to do is to sell you the larger and much more expensive 17". In case you haven't noticed, there's not to many of us who have any respect for Volvo dealerships since Ford purchased them. Before, Volvo dealerships were on the average, a great place to buy and service our cars.

DrJazz
12-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Good luck on the purchase, if you go ahead. Hope yours is built better than ours! :p

Yes, I've read all your posts on the problems you've had with your car (and you must have a lot of patience - I think I would have driven my car off a cliff by now). It certainly did cause me some hesitation when deciding to get one myself, but I'm gonna roll the dice anyway. :)

It's hogwash. I've got 16" alloy wheels on our car, and while the clearance is tight, it's fine. It's not like we're tracking the car for constant massive buildup and the wheels I have are 6 spoke, so I'd say they're open enough for ventilation... :rolleyes:

To be fair to the dealer, this was simply a suggested explanation for why Volvo said 16" wheels were not recommended for the T6. The main issue was the larger brake size (which I didn't know about).

Guess you didn't read 5 threads down before posting this topic... It's my thread called "What to do for winter tires and wheels. Size & wheel Q's..."

Son of a.... I swear, I watch this forum like a hawk, and I went through pages of posts before I started this new thread. I don't know how the hell I missed that - sorry for the duplicate thread.

After checking out TireRack.com and the odd on-line Canadian shop, I figure I don't feel competent enough or comfortable ordering rims sight-unseen. The dealer got back to me and said the 16" steel rims should actually be fine, so I'll likely just get those since I can buy them with the $1250 accessory credit that Volvo Canada is offering this month. Not the best option, but they're essentially free, and it's hard to argue with that! :)

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Cheers,

Lotus99
12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Glad to be of help. The car's great, when it doesn't have issues!

malaykid
12-20-2009, 08:08 AM
I have a 2009 XC70 - T6 as well and I have been having a bit of a nightmare with trying to get the 16" OEM steel rims to be balanced... I got the Michilin XI2 winter tires mounted on them at costco. have been back to costco at least 5 times to complaining about the vibration that can be felt on on the butt (Seat) but not on the steering.

Costco checked the rims and tire and confirm that is all OK and the wheels were lugcentric balanced... after all the trial and error i still have the vibration feel... now they are telling me that it could be due to the wheel nuts. I am using the original wheel nuts from the OEM 17" alloy wheel and was told that I might need to get wheel nuts for steel rims... What do you guys think???

It's been almost 3 weeks now of trying solve this and I hate to make the long road trip driving with a vibration in the butt....

I am almost at the stage of dumping the steel wheels for Alloys...

Any advice is much appreciated...

Thanks,

Malaykid...

DrJazz
12-20-2009, 11:03 AM
The dealer installed Volvo 16" OEM steel wheels with Gislaved Nord Frost 5 winter tires on my new 2010 XC70 T6 (using the wheel nuts that came with the car), and though I've only driven about 300kms on the highway, they appear to ride fine for me - absolutely no vibration or evidence of being out of balance.

Cheers,