PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack

BoBoKwok
12-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Oil seal blown. All steering fluid gone.
My mechanic said he replace the oil seal for my 01XC 2 years ago for leakage. This time he said the hard plastic rings on the shaft or aluminium houssing are probably worn out. Oil is supposed to be kept properly only between these rings. When these ring played, oil goes outside and then oil seal blown. Is it true?
He said I need a new steering rack. I check the assembly by myself. The parts look fine. I replace the upper(18x30x7 mm) seal by myself but I was not able to find the lower seal (28.5x43x7 mm) As oil leak from the upper seal and the lower seal look fine, I put the lower seal back, assembled the steering rack then ask the mechanic to put it back to my XC.
Labour was many times more expensive than parts this time.
It has been working for a week after repairing. So far no problem yet.

Can anybody let me know the importance of those plastic rings and direct me to get the lower oil seal?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/BoBoKwok/car/DSC03231_1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/BoBoKwok/car/DSC03230.jpg

howardc64
12-03-2009, 05:14 AM
As of a year ago, I didn't find any place that sold rebuild kits for the P2 racks. But CVU Unlimited in Myrtle Beach do all the rebuilds I found online. You might try asking them your questions on where to get the rebuild parts. I'd think they'd tell you or sell you parts since you are on Hong Kong. Shipping for a rebuilt rack might be a bit expensive!

In US, rebuilt P2 rack is low $300 with I think around $100 core charge.

http://www.cvunlimited.com/

Chilled Man
12-03-2009, 03:25 PM
I have two for sale right now

01 S60T5 Rack for with 90k on it for $250 + shipping
05 S60R rack with 50k on it for $300 + shiping

racks on all the P2 are the same its the tie rod ends that change per car

Aviator
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
You're into the sector shaft and valve body of the rack. If your tech has gone this far then labour alone has most likely exceeded the price of a reman rack itself. Looks like the valve body has worn out inside.....replace the rack!!

Dave.

BoBoKwok
12-03-2009, 06:39 PM
thank you for your info. I will try.
Normally I get this kind of parts in hardware store rather than dealer.
However, some of the parts are in car industry only.
In HK I don't find any shop rebuilding anything.
Car mechanic used to replace parts rather than repair.

As of a year ago, I didn't find any place that sold rebuild kits for the P2 racks. But CVU Unlimited in Myrtle Beach do all the rebuilds I found online. You might try asking them your questions on where to get the rebuild parts. I'd think they'd tell you or sell you parts since you are on Hong Kong. Shipping for a rebuilt rack might be a bit expensive!

In US, rebuilt P2 rack is low $300 with I think around $100 core charge.

http://www.cvunlimited.com/

BoBoKwok
12-03-2009, 06:40 PM
thanks for your info

I have two for sale right now

01 S60T5 Rack for with 90k on it for $250 + shipping
05 S60R rack with 50k on it for $300 + shiping

racks on all the P2 are the same its the tie rod ends that change per car

BoBoKwok
12-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Dave,

I checked the valve body(aluminium housing). When I put the shaft back to the housing after cleaning, I notice that the plastic rings are still sealing pretty well so that I replace oil seal only. Is that means my mechanic was right?(when the plastic rings are not sealing I need a new rack)
It was myself who gone so far, not my mechanic. Car parts in US may be cheap but expensive in HK.

You're into the sector shaft and valve body of the rack. If your tech has gone this far then labour alone has most likely exceeded the price of a reman rack itself. Looks like the valve body has worn out inside.....replace the rack!!

Dave.

Chilled Man
12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
nah just shipping it to HK is expensive ...

BoBoKwok
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
I supposed there is difference between RHD and LHD
We are RHD

nah just shipping it to HK is expensive ...

Aviator
12-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I notice that the plastic rings are still sealing pretty well so that I replace oil seal only. Is that means my mechanic was right?(when the plastic rings are not sealing I need a new rack)

If the shaft is okay, and doesn't have a ridge worn in it from the seal, then by all means replace the seal. Oil the seal lip before installing the seal. The only way to know if the plastic sealing rings are sealing is to perform a functional pressure test (on the car). Obviously, replacing those seals would be your best bet if you doubt the ability of the old ones to seal. I doubt very much if you'll find that sort of thing in a hardware store; these are automotive specific parts. As far as RHD and LHD, I doubt very much if you would find RHD in North America. Try Australia, or perhaps Great Britain.

Dave.

BoBoKwok
12-06-2009, 01:57 AM
The shaft is ok, no play at the sealing part.
Oil seal can be available in bearing store. However, dimension of the lower seal is odd.

If the shaft is okay, and doesn't have a ridge worn in it from the seal, then by all means replace the seal. Oil the seal lip before installing the seal. The only way to know if the plastic sealing rings are sealing is to perform a functional pressure test (on the car). Obviously, replacing those seals would be your best bet if you doubt the ability of the old ones to seal. I doubt very much if you'll find that sort of thing in a hardware store; these are automotive specific parts. As far as RHD and LHD, I doubt very much if you would find RHD in North America. Try Australia, or perhaps Great Britain.

Dave.