PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat Problems and the Effect

martinimit
11-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Just posting some information.

We where have terrible shuddering, especially when we'd go up a hill, press the gas and the AC was on. The engine would studder, and the Check Engine light would eventually light up. We knew we needed a tune up at some point, but financially had to wait.

This lasted for about a year(ish), when suddenly the Thermostat went out. We found an awesome mechanic who did an honest job. When we got the car back, the studdering was gone. Not completely, but over 90% gone. Also, our MPG went up. We were average about 18.5 mpg, now we're getting 24.

There is no way that I could've known that the Thermostat was cause so much grief.

Getting the car back today after changing the timing belt. Tune up next!

Love the Volvo.

jmoser
11-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Did you notice your temp gauge [thats what its there for!?] Was it running hot or cold?

Chilled Man
11-30-2009, 10:22 AM
yeah its retarded with a bad thermostate and the fantastic ETM it will really screw up alot of stuff when its not 100%

martinimit
11-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Did you notice your temp gauge [thats what its there for!?] Was it running hot or cold?

The temperture gauge always sat right in the middle until the thermostat went. It never crept up - just one moment, BANG it was running super hot.

Can't believe that my MPGs where attached to the thermostat, but it was.

I'm thrilled to get the timing belt changed, and can't wait until it gets the major tuneup in a month.

*Also, before I took it in for the thermostat changed, I had read that the housing is easily cracked which would cost another $200. The night before, I got some Liquid Wrench, sprayed and tapped the bolts holding the housing. Don't know if it helped, but the mechanic had no issues loosening everything up.