PDA

View Full Version : How is your ‘Satisfaction’ with your XC70 'Volvo'?

Pages : [1] 2

XCovlov70
11-29-2009, 06:29 AM
After 12 months with our replacement XC70 (2008 Model) and 40 years of being solely with Volvo Cars I am now becoming very disillusioned with them, why?

Well it’s like this:

The car is a wonderful drive and has been since we got it, however thanks to the ‘Customer Service’ and total lack of communication certain things have happened in the past 12 Months which make me stop and think if I should continue to buy or run these cars, as cars by other manufacturers provide just as good a drive, safety and in a number of respects superior Customer Satisfaction.

• Tow bar was fitted to the vehicle and all was OK everything worked fine, then the car had to be returned as it had a ‘Glow in the Dark’ Radio that had a ‘fault’ in the display, so to try and sort it out the latest version of the ‘Management System Software’ was loaded which suddenly gave me pretty pictures on the Radio Display when reversing, but after 3 months of seeking answers I found out had disabled the Trailer Indicator Light as a Volvo Software Engineer decided that we the drivers/customers did not need it!
• I have also now found that the feature/facility to have Radio Text visible on the Radio Display which could be either enabled or disabled by the driver has also now been withdrawn/blocked by Volvo as they think we are a bunch of Nerds and drive looking at the radio display instead of the road!
• Whilst driving the car in Europe and using the Extortionately Priced RTI/GPS system I found that frequently I was ‘flying’ at around 200ft as we were up in the mountains, even though I was on a piece of Tarmac there was ‘No Road’ on the Map on the GPS?
• Several times on various roads I was also advised that there was ‘Severe Traffic Congestion Ahead’ but when we shortly arrived in the ‘Congested Area’ the road was totally clear? Had we taken the suggested alternative route it would have added another 2 hours to the journey.
• I also find that I cannot add Points of Interest e.g. Campsites to the GPS System but in my alternative TomTom GPS I have something like 11,000 Campsites for Europe, not to mention a whole host of other POI’s that I make full use of on different trips (Supermarkets, WiFi Hot Spots etc). However Volvo provide their system with very expensive Restaurants which cannot be deleted to make room for more useful POI’s and also not forgetting all the Volvo Garages which are as useful as a Chocolate Fireguard if you happen to breakdown and the nearest one is around 150Miles away!
• As I tour Europe quite extensively I have also found that I cannot enter more than 7 Destinations for any Itinerary whereas with the Removable and a hell of a lot cheaper TomTom I have currently 3 Itinerary’s with around 33 Destinations in each one.
• I was also very surprised to find that when I went to put some tools into the tray between the Emergency Spare and the Boot Floor Panel that the Vehicle Electronics Control Boxes had “FO-MO-CO” in nice letters on them? I really thought when I bought this car that it was a Volvo and not a Volvo made with parts supplied by the Ford Motor Company!
How nice and kind!

Lotus99
11-30-2009, 12:47 AM
While most of your problems seem related to NAV, I would have to sympathize with you, as I've had nothing but problems with my car (just check my threads), and unfortunately, I feel this will be our last Volvo (unless the next 3 years of ownership are magically different than this past year, as that's when our warranty runs out).

Just last week, I had yet another problem, which I didn't post, as it's just getting tiresome... One of the rear windows just stopped working out of the blue. Thank goodness it wasn't raining with the window stuck open - luckily it decided to stop working when it was closed.

So I take it in, and it turns out it needs a software update. That must be the fourth one I've had between bug fixes and recalls.

And guess what? Now the one touch up and down on that window don't work... So I'm back to the dealer once more to get that fixed.

I must have had 15 to 20 visits to the dealer in the first year of owning this car. A few of which were the recalls.

Pathetic for such an expensive, supposedly well-made car.

Forkster
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
The challenge with all Volvo's is to find a good independent garage after the warranty runs out. Unfortunately, Volvo's dealer habits you see now are a mirror of Ford's - which is all about the bottom line, not fostering or nurturing client relationships. Ford, although they may be restructuring better than the their other two 'partners', are still the just a best of the 'bad lot'.

Indies know our Volvo's better than most dealers for some reason. It wasnt like tyhat before 'Ford'.

ecbsykes
11-30-2009, 08:44 AM
I really like my 2000 V70XC. It's got just enough electronics to be useful, but not so many things that there is something broken all the time. Problem with Volvo is that they started drifting from their utilitarian roots and going for the more luxury aspect. Garbage like self-opening rear hatch, active-bending road lights, expensive nav equipment, lane departure warning and rain sensors is what's bringing these cars down.

I like and use everything in the 2000, and I don't think I ever wish that I had much more. Extra stuff to break seems like a bad idea...

Lotus99
11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Problem is my car has had its fair share of mechanical problems too, not just electricals that I could blame on the car becoming too fancy with gadgets. I had my driveshaft replaced because it would shudder when reversing, had the front subframe rear bushing replaced (which almost half the forum seems to also have had done), etc.

I'm totally for finding an independant shop after warranty (and did so with my last car, my Audi A4), if my complaint was how the dealer treats me when I visit them. But my issue isn't with the dealer, it's with the car itself, and I don't want to be in the shop with the car all the time. Post warranty, it would just mean that I'd end up forking money over to the independant shop instead of the dealer.

Reliability is the main issue I've got with this car, not just the dealer experience. What good does it do me to end up still having a car with lots of issues, post warranty, only it would cost me less to fix them all at an indy shop?

XCovlov70
12-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Maybe looking at the replies we should collect all the replies and send them to the CEO in Gothenberg VCC HQ, to see if he is prepared to provide any answers?

XCovlov70
12-01-2009, 11:51 AM
I think looking at the majority of answers on the Forum I could be in for some rough times ahead as my XC70 has so far only covered 29k Miles.

Having said that it was not really the 'problems' with the RTI/GPS System that hacked me off it was the number of times that I had to go back to the Volvo Dealer to get other 'problems' sorted out like the Duff Radio, Broken Wiring Harness in the Power Tailgate, Trailer Indicator Light removed, Alternator bearing 'squealing' (So they replaced the bearing and the belt at 27k!)

My previous 1989 V70 TDI (Volkswagen 2.5TDI Engine) gave me NO problems in 125K Miles and was chipped to provide 163Bhp as opposed to the 140Bhp it came with.

It had no 'Bells & Whistles' like the XC70 but after seeing what happens with all the Software that Volvo stuff in their cars that can and does go wrong. I am glad nothing is classed as 'Safety Critical' as I would not trust it!

Matters
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
We are completely satisfied with our 09 build XC70. It's fantastic. It has zero issues so far, albeit with only 6000 kms travelled.

However, our car has no high tech options like NAV or radar cruise etc. Which may explain why we've avoided any electrical drama.

Formerly, we have been a fundamentalist Toyota/Lexus family. I am so happy with our XC that I'm considering an S80 when the lease on my ES finishes at the end of next year.

Nuke
12-03-2009, 08:21 AM
My satisfaction is not so good right now. The first week we had the 09, the "check engine" light went on with less that 100 miles on the vehicle. Misfire in all 6 cylinders. The vehicle has been to the dealer multiple times for this. First time, they just turned off the light and sent it home with me. Light came back on. Then they tried to fix it by increasing the fuel pressure, then by replacing all the spark plugs, and finally by replacing all of the fuel injectors and fuel rails. No good. The dealer also pissed me off by putting over 400 miles on a brand new vehicle for "testing" without telling me.

Volvo has now told me that they intend to replace the 09 with a 10 model. No further action on this yet; we're still driving the 09 with the yellow light shining in our faces.

I'm not interested in court as long as they follow through. Iowa has very strict lemon laws (up to 3x damages), so I think everything will ultimately be OK. The only hitch is my 09 was a base model (white with no options), so they have to build a new one and ship it here.

I'm becoming more than little troubled with Volvo since we also have an 00 V40 which went through the brake vacuum pump fiasco (whoops....no brakes in the morning!). It also has a big rust hole in the in front of the passenger front door, but it's way out of warranty. Rest of the car is rust free. My 97 Z28 with 160K miles has better reliability than these cars.

dlmielke
12-03-2009, 08:33 AM
I've now had my 2008 XC70 for two years and am at 29K miles. So far, so good. I do have the navigation system and lots of creature comforts, but passed on BLISS (or whatever it's called). Having owned (and still do) the 1998 roll-out of the XC70, I was a little nervous about the redesigned 2008. My 1998 has had no end of repairs - early on it was warranty work, with time it became wear-and-tear, regular repairs (out of MY pocket). That said, it is still serving us well at over 140K miles and is now in the hands of our teen drivers. A sympathetic fellow customer overheard my repair estimate on the 1998 one visit and strongly recommended the extended service contract. I did take it on the 2008, so it will probably go strong forever! Hope your problems are resolved!

exfive
12-12-2009, 08:44 AM
58k up on mine. All going well. I have a noisy door seal but I will get that looked at next service. I would happily buy another one.

tenmiler
12-19-2009, 04:14 PM
My lease is ending on my 08, and I have to say I'm a little bummed about it, because I am trying to decide if I want to buy it or what. While my 04 lease ended a little after I'd started to feel less thrilled with the design and functionality of the car, this one I think is still a beautifully designed car that drives well and is packed with really great features.

That said, I've had a few issues here and there, but nothing huge. I only have 19,000 miles on it, and will be 5,000 under if I turn it in (oops). But I'd be okay having another year on the lease.

And that's why I'm considering buying it. That's another forum post altogether!

XCovlov70
12-20-2009, 07:18 AM
I had a 98 V70 TD (Turbo Diesel it was actually the Volkswagen LT35 Van Engine) and in 125k Miles except for a Clutch Slave Cylinder that 'failed' in France the car never missed a beat.

However the Cloth Furnishings inside the Caravan we towed had to be cleaned 3 times in just as many years due to the 'Black Smoke' from the exhaust when the Turbo kicked in that infiltrated the caravan.

In fact in the doorway of the caravan was a 'Danggly' Nylon Fly Screen that took 5 LARGE buckets of warm soapy water to get clean also after around 200 miles between campsites I had to wash the outside of the caravan thanks to the Diesel Smoke that started to turn the white paint dull/grey, but according to Volvo 'Everything was working fine'!

On the XC70 2008 there is a re-cycler that the black smoke gets re-burnt in the engine so that none comes out of the exhaust (Muffler), however I did hear from our Ministry Test 'Man' that he will have to wear a breathing mask when it gets it's annual test that starts at 3 years of age as the fumes that come out of the exhaust are 'Toxic'!

So "don't turnround and bend over" it could be extremely dangerous to your health in more ways than one!![happy]

texascanuk
01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm with the others that think that we should get more for our money. The front suspension on these cars is weak and should give more life before needing replacing/rebuilding. At 90Kmi ours needed front control arm bushings, then again at 157K. Our 2000 Honda Accord needed virtually nothing up the 125K mi that it was wrecked at and the check engine light only came on once that whole time! Volvo CV joints and axles done at 156K is understandable. Numerous other problems are just a pain in the neck. It seems that when I get something fixed that something else goes wrong. It's nickle and dime-ing us to death. Luckily I've saved some by self repair of minor items.

I do like the car and don't have a comparable replacement on the market without going to a domestic car. It's got great carrying capacity and thoughful acuments for family carriage like the built in child booster seat. It drives well and we were planning on keeping it so this year have spent $4500 on it to make repairs to renew it. I don't think that I'd buy another one though.

thanks, James

XCovlov70
01-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm with the others that think that we should get more for our money. The front suspension on these cars is weak and should give more life before needing replacing/rebuilding. At 90Kmi ours needed front control arm bushings, then again at 157K. Our 2000 Honda Accord needed virtually nothing up the 125K mi that it was wrecked at and the check engine light only came on once that whole time! Volvo CV joints and axles done at 156K is understandable. Numerous other problems are just a pain in the neck. It seems that when I get something fixed that something else goes wrong. It's nickle and dime-ing us to death. Luckily I've saved some by self repair of minor items.

I do like the car and don't have a comparable replacement on the market without going to a domestic car. It's got great carrying capacity and thoughful acuments for family carriage like the built in child booster seat. It drives well and we were planning on keeping it so this year have spent $4500 on it to make repairs to renew it. I don't think that I'd buy another one though.

thanks, James

Hi James,
Just wondered on a couple of points:
1) Has your vehicle got "Active Control Suspension" which you can set to Comfort, Sport or Advanced?
2) Do you go 'Off Road' with the car at all?

I have (1) and use it to go on (2).
I also notice a considerable difference when the suspension is set on 'Advanced' and we go over 'LARGE Speed Bumps' which they tend to have a lot of here in Spain especially in cities, but thankfully we are not here for long!

Lotus99
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM
How do you use your 4C for offroading? Set it to comfort or advanced? I'd think the softest position would be best, no?

XCTrooper
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I am extremely satisfied. I own a 2009 XC70 T6 and I have not had any problems with mine. I have owned it for 6 months and so far I am really happy with everything. It is my primary vehicle while my wife drives a Lexus RX 400h but when we go places together we both prefer to take the Volvo. This is also our first Volvo so I am by no means a brand loyalist. If I was having any problems I would admit it. I have a co-worker that bought one the same week I did and we talk about them regularly. She is just as happy and has had no problems either.

XCovlov70
01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
How do you use your 4C for offroading? Set it to comfort or advanced? I'd think the softest position would be best, no?

Hi Lotus99.

For 'offroading' I go/use advanced as it does make a noticeable difference to the handling/suspension by stiffening it up so you don't get bounced around as much.[thumbup]

I have also noticed that I do not get the 'Squeaky Body' with this 'Hunk of metal & 4 wheels' that I got from our 1998 V70 which used to 'creak' noticeably if you went slowly forward or reversed over a piece of ground that was not level, but I understand that it was a 'problem' with that bodyshell. :eek:
I think in the end that the people in Volvo called it a 'feature' to stop any complaints which is just about what you can expect when they have your money and are not interested in problems. [cussing]

Lotus99
01-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi Lotus99.

I have also noticed that I do not get the 'Squeaky Body' with this 'Hunk of metal & 4 wheels' that I got from our 1998 V70 which used to 'creak' noticeably if you went slowly forward or reversed over a piece of ground that was not level, but I understand that it was a 'problem' with that bodyshell. :eek:

I think in the end that the people in Volvo called it a 'feature' to stop any complaints which is just about what you can expect when they have your money and are not interested in problems. [cussing]

Oh, I know ALL about that... That's exactly what they told me when they couldn't fix my body squeaking every time I go into and out of my parking spot at home. They even drove a brand new one off the lot to my house and parked it, only to hear the same noise, and therefore concluded that it was "normal". [mad2] You can read all about the fun I had in the thread I posted about body squeaking.

4 years of driving our Mazda 3 Sport in and out of that spot, and not a single creak. :rolleyes:

Sunstone_XC70
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Well we're 5 days in and very pleased so far.

We picked up a new 2010 model at the weekend and am loving the XC already.

Lets hope it continues.

Steve

Nuke
01-22-2010, 08:00 AM
OK, just got the replacement 2010 base XC70 for my 2009 with the random misfire. It was seamless, just dropped off the 2009, switched plates, signed paperwork and drove off. We'll see how this one goes.... The 2009 drove just fine, the dealer just couldn't get the check engine light to stay off.

FYI, the only differences I see between 2009 and 2010 is the side windows have a chrome strip around them instead of black and you get a USB input for the radio. Holes in the grill look bigger. I also see intake silencers under the hood that I don't recall seeing on the 2009.

Dbone
01-22-2010, 11:42 AM
OK, just got the replacement 2010 base XC70 for my 2009 with the random misfire. It was seamless, just dropped off the 2009, switched plates, signed paperwork and drove off. We'll see how this one goes.... The 2009 drove just fine, the dealer just couldn't get the check engine light to stay off.

FYI, the only differences I see between 2009 and 2010 is the side windows have a chrome strip around them instead of black and you get a USB input for the radio. Holes in the grill look bigger. I also see intake silencers under the hood that I don't recall seeing on the 2009.

Doesn't the steering wheel have some chrome on it too vs the 2009?

Cheers

Nuke
01-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Cheers

Nope, same wheel as an 09.

Dbone
01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Nope, same wheel as an 09.

In Canada the 2010 wheel has some chrome accents.

Out of curiosity I looked at the US Volvo site. If you do the fly through of the interior using that interactive viewer thing on there it shows the same chrome accents that I'm talking about...

Kinda weird..

Cheers

DrJazz
01-23-2010, 09:06 AM
In Canada the 2010 wheel has some chrome accents.

Out of curiosity I looked at the US Volvo site. If you do the fly through of the interior using that interactive viewer thing on there it shows the same chrome accents that I'm talking about...

Kinda weird..

Cheers

I believe the Canadian T6 models come with the "silk metal inlay" in the steering wheel, while the 3.2 does not.

Cheers,

Dbone
01-23-2010, 09:45 AM
I believe the Canadian T6 models come with the "silk metal inlay" in the steering wheel, while the 3.2 does not.

Cheers,

Oh, okay...Maybe that is the confusing factor....T6 vs 3.2

Sunstone_XC70
01-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Cheers

The UK 2010 spec does have the chrome finish on the steering wheel across the range.

I'm driving the diesel model too

Cheers

Nuke
01-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Another huge difference - the engine cover is black on the 10 versus grey on the 09.

Kramer
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Doh!

This thread, list of fault after fault with XC70 is terrifying. From another side people who don't have problems are not likely to post anything in the forum.

I was about to buy XC70 this week, but thanks to this thread, I'm now looking at other cars.

Too bad there's not much choice in crossover,
- Audi allroad is not up to the task. more like race car. should be called "on-road"
- Subaru has horrible design and inside looks very crude and cheap.

Since there's no good crossover alternatives to XC70, I have to look at SUVs .
In particular Mercedes ML 2 year old with all options cost less than new XC with all options. MB should have better reliability record.

brissim
01-26-2010, 01:59 AM
Kramer,

me again. No doubt others may add to what I have to say, but please, don't be put off the XC70 - or any other Volvo for that matter - by what you have read in this or similar threads. You can go to any similar brand-specific web-site and you will find similar threads. Not having a go at those who have posted negative comments (after all you are only reporting what you have found), but I would suggest they are by far in the minority.

Yes there has been problems with the current model XC70 but I would suggest a careful reading of the treads would indicate that most of the problems have occurred either in cars from the first year of production of the current model (another good illustration of why you should never buy in the first year of any new model), or relate to the fuel efficiency and performance of the woeful 3.2 petrol XC70. Both you and I are looking at a model now into its third year of production with a D5 engine which has been further improved over the D5 engine it was released with.

Tony

Dbone
01-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Doh!

This thread, list of fault after fault with XC70 is terrifying. From another side people who don't have problems are not likely to post anything in the forum.

I was about to buy XC70 this week, but thanks to this thread, I'm now looking at other cars.

Too bad there's not much choice in crossover,
- Audi allroad is not up to the task. more like race car. should be called "on-road"
- Subaru has horrible design and inside looks very crude and cheap.

Since there's no good crossover alternatives to XC70, I have to look at SUVs .
In particular Mercedes ML 2 year old with all options cost less than new XC with all options. MB should have better reliability record.

Looking to MB for more reliability eh?...not sure you will get higher reliability out of a Mercedes....at least not the ones they build for the Canadian market my friend....

Cheers

XCovlov70
02-13-2010, 05:58 AM
I have to say that having started this Thread and just completed a trip of 5,000 Miles with no 'problems' whatever, the car is due for it's annual service next week as it hit the 18,000 mile for the engine oil, for which the message appeared on the dashboard display.

In a couple of months it is off again on an 8,000 Mile (11,000kms) trip and I am not expecting any 'problems' on that one either.

It was for the 5k & will be for the 8k towing a caravan and is returning currently 27Mpg (D5) with a 1500kg Load hanging off the back. [thumbup]

So I ain't complaining, but I also ain't using the fitted GPS I have more faith in my TomTom! [thumbup]

Dbone
02-13-2010, 06:26 AM
I have to say that having started this Thread and just completed a trip of 5,000 Miles with no 'problems' whatever, the car is due for it's annual service next week as it hit the 18,000 mile for the engine oil, for which the message appeared on the dashboard display.

In a couple of months it is off again on an 8,000 Mile (11,000kms) trip and I am not expecting any 'problems' on that one either.

It was for the 5k & will be for the 8k towing a caravan and is returning currently 27Mpg (D5) with a 1500kg Load hanging off the back. [thumbup]

So I ain't complaining, but I also ain't using the fitted GPS I have more faith in my TomTom! [thumbup]

Great news! Gives me some hope that I didn't make a mistake buying one!! LOL

Cheers

XCovlov70
02-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Best wishes for your new XC70 and I hope it is a Diesel but I would suspect a Petrol being on the other side of the 'Pond'?

Having said that I have seen V70 Petrol Volvo's with upwards of 200,000 Miles on the clock and still 'sweet' engines on this side of the 'Pond'. [thumbup]

Great news! Gives me some hope that I didn't make a mistake buying one!! LOL

Cheers

Dbone
02-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Best wishes for your new XC70 and I hope it is a Diesel but I would suspect a Petrol being on the other side of the 'Pond'?

Having said that I have seen V70 Petrol Volvo's with upwards of 200,000 Miles on the clock and still 'sweet' engines on this side of the 'Pond'. [thumbup]

Yeah, petrol T6. Should be a pretty sweet engine performance-wise but terrible on the gas for sure in comparison to yours and some other vehicles in the class. Oh well.

Cheers

MartinK
02-26-2010, 07:47 AM
I'm almost at 1 year of ownership and 14000 miles. XC70 SE D5 - standard except for metallic & winter pack.

Just totted up my car ownership, and I think this is my 17th car, as well as my 10th brand new vehicle (some were company cars). The list includes lots of Vauxhall/Opels, Fords, BMWs and VW's. My first Volvo.

It's been as good as the best, and better than most. Better than my BMW experience, and equal to my VW experience (some of the Vauxhalls were also very good).

Finish remains to be up with the best, build quality excellent.

Does what it says on the tin.

Local dealer is pretty good too, no complaints there - it'll be in for it's first "proper" service soon (obviously the 3000 mile check not really worth mentioning!).

Sunstone_XC70
02-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Local dealer is pretty good too, no complaints there - it'll be in for it's first "proper" service soon (obviously the 3000 mile check not really worth mentioning!).

Must agree here. No complaints here either.

We're into 3k miles covered in our 2010 xc70 and really chuffed so far. Very nice car allround and rides great.

But I must say that I was a little dubious of the 3 month checkup. Its the only new car I've owned that's needed a 3 month check. We only had the car 6 weeks and covered over 3k. I'm wondering if our 3 month check is due now ??

Steve

XCovlov70
02-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Would be very interested in the cost in GBP of your 1st Service as I was told by a "Silver Surfer" that he would not get an XC70 due to the 'running costs' I listened to what he said and must admit took it with a 'pinch of salt' but kept it in the grey matter between the ears.

In November of 2009 we went down to Spain and did not have time for the service to be carried out in the UK, was advised to go to a Volvo Garage in Spain as 'prices are the same as the UK'?

I was quoted €432 (About £395) for the service. :eek:

Oweny
02-28-2010, 01:48 AM
25,000 miles and two years old - and still like new. It's the family workhorse and is usually loaded up with bikes, buggies etc....

MPG is good for a car this size - 28mpg around town, and I can get 40mpg on the motorway.

I've noticed in the last six months a slight creak in the boot door - it happens when going over rougher roads or turning sharply. I'm going to get the two year service next week so will let you know how it goes.

All in all I would buy another one and may even do so next year as I don't see anything else on the market that comes closes to ticking all the boxes that the XC70 does. Would love to check out the D5 205bhp and see if their is any difference/improvement in performance.

XCovlov70
03-03-2010, 12:43 AM
25,000 miles and two years old - and still like new. It's the family workhorse and is usually loaded up with bikes, buggies etc....

MPG is good for a car this size - 28mpg around town, and I can get 40mpg on the motorway.

I've noticed in the last six months a slight creak in the boot door - it happens when going over rougher roads or turning sharply. I'm going to get the two year service next week so will let you know how it goes.

All in all I would buy another one and may even do so next year as I don't see anything else on the market that comes closes to ticking all the boxes that the XC70 does. Would love to check out the D5 205bhp and see if their is any difference/improvement in performance.

I understand that you can 'chip' the engine to provide the same power as the new XC70 which has the 205Bhp Diesel 'Lump'.

I 'chipped' a previous V70 (It was 'Out of warranty' as Volvo get a tad upset) and it made a heck of a difference to that Diesel 'Lump'. Over 50mpg and over 40mpg towing a 1500kg trailer. In a way I was sorry to let the car go but the black smoke was the killer, boot it and it was like laying down a smokescreen!

MartinK
03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Would be very interested in the cost in GBP of your 1st Service as I was told by a "Silver Surfer" that he would not get an XC70 due to the 'running costs' I listened to what he said and must admit took it with a 'pinch of salt' but kept it in the grey matter between the ears.

In November of 2009 we went down to Spain and did not have time for the service to be carried out in the UK, was advised to go to a Volvo Garage in Spain as 'prices are the same as the UK'?

I was quoted €432 (About £395) for the service. :eek:

I just booked mine in for the first service. I asked how much it would be and was quoted £255 includes all labour and parts (but VAT may be on top of that I forgot to ask). That's the first service, 12 months old (15000 miles). Also booked a free courtesy car for the day provided by the dealer.

XCovlov70
03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
I just booked mine in for the first service. I asked how much it would be and was quoted £255 includes all labour and parts (but VAT may be on top of that I forgot to ask). That's the first service, 12 months old (15000 miles). Also booked a free courtesy car for the day provided by the dealer.

Not bad, the most expensive item is the Engine Oil at around £120 from Volvo but you can get exactly the same oil from Millers Oils for £50 for 5 litres.
http://www.millersoils.net/

Had I not provided the engine oil which they also use in Audi for 30,000 Miles as opposed to the 18,000 Miles for Volvo the service would have cost me £150 at our local garage, however he did also re-set the Service Message on the dashboard so will not see that again till 50,000 comes up!

Good luck hope you have a nice Bank Manager, or a good Credit Card [thumbup]

MartinK
03-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Not bad, the most expensive item is the Engine Oil at around £120 from Volvo but you can get exactly the same oil from Millers Oils for £50 for 5 litres.
http://www.millersoils.net/

Had I not provided the engine oil which they also use in Audi for 30,000 Miles as opposed to the 18,000 Miles for Volvo the service would have cost me £150 at our local garage, however he did also re-set the Service Message on the dashboard so will not see that again till 50,000 comes up!

Good luck hope you have a nice Bank Manager, or a good Credit Card [thumbup]

Good idea XCovlov70 - I have taken my own oil to the dealer before (my last car a TD5 Discovery used even more, so was more costly on oil for the service, plus once it was out of warranty I used an independant service garage). I can get Mobil 1 from the cash & carry for £19.99 (+vat) so I usually use that in all my vehicles (especially when I change it myself). Hadn't thought about doing this for the first service on the Volvo tho (I did change the oil and filter myself after 2000 miles, so it;s got Mobil 1 in now).

Got to phone the dealer a week before the service anyway, as I also need the recall doing, and seem to have a weep coming from the windscreen washer reservoir (quite common I believe after this very cold winter - I saw minus 16 c on the Volvo)... Anyway whilst on the phone, I'll confirm the costs for the oil, and consider taking my own... Cheers

Dbone
03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Good idea XCovlov70 - I have taken my own oil to the dealer before (my last car a TD5 Discovery used even more, so was more costly on oil for the service, plus once it was out of warranty I used an independant service garage). I can get Mobil 1 from the cash & carry for £19.99 (+vat) so I usually use that in all my vehicles (especially when I change it myself). Hadn't thought about doing this for the first service on the Volvo tho (I did change the oil and filter myself after 2000 miles, so it;s got Mobil 1 in now).

Got to phone the dealer a week before the service anyway, as I also need the recall doing, and seem to have a weep coming from the windscreen washer reservoir (quite common I believe after this very cold winter - I saw minus 16 c on the Volvo)... Anyway whilst on the phone, I'll confirm the costs for the oil, and consider taking my own... Cheers

I'm sure if you tried to bring your own oil to a dealership in my area they would laugh at you and tell you to service your vehicle somewhere else...

I just have that feeling...

But hey, if you are able to get away with it and save a few bucks then why not...

XCovlov70
03-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm sure if you tried to bring your own oil to a dealership in my area they would laugh at you and tell you to service your vehicle somewhere else...

I just have that feeling...

But hey, if you are able to get away with it and save a few bucks then why not...

Try it and see what happens, then 'advise them' nicely that you will assist them with their business if they tell you to go elsewhere, that might concentrate that grey stuff between their ears! [thumbup]

XCovlov70
03-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Curiosity: Is Mobil 1 of the A5/B5 0-30w Spec?

If it is then I will be looking out for it as it is a heck of a lot cheaper than Millers Oils product and way way cheaper than Castrol which is what the Volvo Garage use.

However I was cautioned by an ex Audi Mechanic who advised me that some oils have excessive slugding build up which can cause oil pressure problems, so as he was independant I look a bit more carefully now.

MartinK
03-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Curiosity: Is Mobil 1 of the A5/B5 0-30w Spec?

If it is then I will be looking out for it as it is a heck of a lot cheaper than Millers Oils product and way way cheaper than Castrol which is what the Volvo Garage use.

However I was cautioned by an ex Audi Mechanic who advised me that some oils have excessive slugding build up which can cause oil pressure problems, so as he was independant I look a bit more carefully now.

XCovlov70 - no, Mobil 1 "exceeds the requirements for ACEA A3/B3 & A3/B4"

My manual says "Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-4, API SL, or ACEA A1/B1" - so I am well above basic specification... Mobil 1 is 0w-40 which, again is well in-spec.

I've been a big fan of Mobil 1 for ages, I use it in the other cars in the family, as well as my motorcycle...

XCovlov70
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
XCovlov70 - no, Mobil 1 "exceeds the requirements for ACEA A3/B3 & A3/B4"

My manual says "Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-4, API SL, or ACEA A1/B1" - so I am well above basic specification... Mobil 1 is 0w-40 which, again is well in-spec.

I've been a big fan of Mobil 1 for ages, I use it in the other cars in the family, as well as my motorcycle...

MartinK - to say I am gutted is I think an understatement as the spec has clearly been changed for the 2009 Model from the 2008 Model.

The Volvo Owners Manual for mine calls for A5/B5 0-30W which is 'made' by Castrol and sold by Volvo Garages at around £120 for the 6 ltrs, hence my move to Millers Oils after quite a bit of research on the specification and a price tag of £56 for 6 ltrs.

All I can say is good luck and good choice with the Mobil 1

MartinK
03-26-2010, 03:07 AM
MartinK - to say I am gutted is I think an understatement as the spec has clearly been changed for the 2009 Model from the 2008 Model.

The Volvo Owners Manual for mine calls for A5/B5 0-30W which is 'made' by Castrol and sold by Volvo Garages at around £120 for the 6 ltrs, hence my move to Millers Oils after quite a bit of research on the specification and a price tag of £56 for 6 ltrs.

All I can say is good luck and good choice with the Mobil 1

Just called my garage to confirm the details (booked in next Friday 2nd April - being Scotland it's common to work Good Friday in lieu of the extra day off at Hogmanay).

Quoted full cost is £245 including VAT (and that's with a courtesy car which is a Ford Focus).

I also asked about oil - they use Texaco semi-synthetic in the D5 engines, and the cost for the oil is £45+ VAT. They have no objection to me taking my own oil - so fingers crossed the service is under or around £200 with me supplying the oil (Mobil 1 of course).

Incidentally they said that often the dealer changes the pollen filter at the first annual service, but it was customer choice. As mine's only done 15000 miles, and Scotland's hardly a "dusty" environment, I told them I would leave the pollen filter for next year...I guess that's saved a few £ as well... The dealer said they were working hard to keep their service costs competitive.

Bizarrely, I had a previous poor experience with a different (Peugeot) branch of this dealer - so much so that in some respects I was reluctant to purchase the car from them...but the deal was good...The Volvo franchise seems to be really good tho, and a delight to deal with so far.

Maybe Inverness is a great place to get a Volvo serviced!

MartinK
04-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Update on my first service, 16000 miles and 1 year:

Good things first: Car was serviced. Used my Mobil 1. Price just under £200. Courtesy car was a Ford Focus (gets my vote) which would have been free, but I used the garages insurance which cost a tenner +vat. The service reception was run by two lovely girls who were really nice and helpful. Car was washed.

Now the bad things: They dinged my car...twice! A new stone chip on the front, and they damaged the back bumper (must have reversed into something). They obviously left the car idling for ages, as when the car was dropped-off it had 550 miles range in the tank, when I collected the car it only had 300 miles range. It hadn't travelled many miles, so it must have been left idling...for ages! Fortunately I spotted the damage to the rear bumper, and they polished that out in around 20 mins while I waited. Also the oil level is way overfull - about 1cm above the full mark on the dipstick...

Next time I will use another garage.