PDA

View Full Version : new guy question: '01 v70xc pre-purch ??

Hogweed
11-25-2009, 09:38 PM
hello,
i am in the market for 2001 v70xc and wanted to know if there were/are any issues that make this car a possible problem to own. i have owned many older volvos in the past but neve anything this new![happy]i already looked at the repair sticky and it seems the 01 has more shop visits than the newer one but i wanted to see if any owners could fill me in a little more
thank you in advance
gregg

javaxc70
11-25-2009, 09:42 PM
I would go 03 or later if possible. 01 do have much more problems and are generally more prone to problems. If you can get a good deal and factor in some repairs, then 01 may be what you are looking for. Hope that helps!

slowflyer
11-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Maybe we should have a sticky on '01s because this has come up frequently lately.

The transmission is more prone to problems. Some don't have a problem. Mine has been OK for 211K miles but it has just recently started to shift hard.

I have replaced several bearings and suspension parts.

There is an issue with the ETM (elect. throttle mod.) I had that problem.

The '03 and later use a HALDEX AWD system.

JRL
11-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Please try to find an 03-04
stay away from 01's and 02's

Hogweed
11-26-2009, 07:03 AM
it looks like the 2003-04's are going for 7-8k. i think i can get this 01 for around 4500 and the trans was replaced at 70k, new timing belt was done at 105...i know the old commercial says "pay me now or pay me later" but i don't have the 8k to spend right now

Mike_v
11-26-2009, 09:10 AM
I have a 01: I would sell mine for the KBB private party value if I could find a buyer... and that means I'm taking a huge loss with the thousands dollars of repairs that I've spent on my 01 in the two years that I own it (I bought it for the KBB dealer price in Sept 2007).

Tips:
1. Read an old thread with a list of possible 01 problems that sound very familiar to me:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1498
(see list at #10)

2. If you didn't know already, you need to know what a "bevel gear" is before you buy any XC (because a repair shop or this forum will point it out to you sooner or later). See e.g.:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15109
[URL="http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11868[/URL]
The general idea among guys who do a lot of maintenance themselves seems to be that leaking is better than fixing, so that you just have to live with a leaking bevel gear box...

3. Check out the info at:
http://www.truedelta.com/
If you register and say you will provide data on your own car, access is free. I'm providing monthly info. Here you can see the differences in costs you'll have with a Volvo XC and say a Toyota, Honda, Nissan (of course a Volvo is much nicer but MUCH pricier, I know you knew that but here you see it).

Hogweed
11-26-2009, 09:23 AM
i'm looking at getting this at kbb wholesale or below and i'm still worried it won't be cheap enough to offset the issues i'm reading about!!! kbb ppv is 5200-6700
I have a 01: I would sell mine for the KBB private party value if I could find a buyer... and that means I'm taking a huge loss with the thousands dollars of repairs that I've spent on my 01 in the two years that I own it (I bought it for the KBB dealer price in Sept 2007).

Tips:
1. Read an old thread with a list of possible 01 problems that sound very familiar to me:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1498&referrerid=10564
(see list at #10)

2. If you didn't know already, you need to know what a "bevel gear" is before you buy any XC (because a repair shop or this forum will point it out to you sooner or later). See e.g.:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15109&referrerid=10564
The general idea among guys who do a lot of maintenance themselves seems to be that leaking is better than fixing, so that you just have to live with a leaking bevel gear box...

3. Check out the info at:
http://www.truedelta.com/
If you register and say you will provide data on your own car, access is free. I'm providing monthly info. Here you can see the differences in costs you'll have with a Volvo XC and say a Toyota, Honda, Nissan (of course a Volvo is much nicer but MUCH pricier, I know you knew that but here you see it).

Mike_v
11-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Indeed, I would sell it for the KBB price, but I wouldn't want to pay it if I were on the market for an 01. That's were the problems lies for me. Definitely stay away from an 01.

i'm looking at getting this at kbb wholesale or below and i'm still worried it won't be cheap enough to offset the issues i'm reading about!!! kbb ppv is 5200-6700

duncan
11-26-2009, 09:38 AM
I have an 01 with over 100k miles. The only money I have had to put into it for the last year and a half is regular maintenance, a new bearing, two struts, and a battery. Pretty standard stuff. Running on original transmission, and AWD works great.

Just like any car, don't pay more than it's worth (your price sounds fine), and take care of it. Don't believe the hysteria from people that have never owned an 01-02.

Mike_v
11-26-2009, 10:04 AM
but DO take into account the list of things that people mention that have owned an 01-02.

Don't believe the hysteria from people that have never owned an 01-02.

howardc64
11-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Just FYI.

These new Volvos are a lot more complex than the old ones and repair bills mounts quicker.

If your finances are tight (trying to stay under $5k and not the extra $2-3k for 03 or newer one) I'd say pretty good DYI ability is a must for any year you buy. The basic maintenance items are already fairly expensive and will eat $2-$3k quickly if you take it to dealer or even indy. Even then, major transmission work and bad leaking angle gear might be beyond most DYIer.

This car isn't your low maintenance indestructible old Volvo that you remember.

Hogweed
11-26-2009, 03:54 PM
i'm hoping since the tranny was done i can avoid some of the major $$; i'm a diy guy and a former tech but i find i have so little time i just ship the work out now. i'm looking at it tomorrow and i'll decide then
'thanks for all the help
Just FYI.

These new Volvos are a lot more complex than the old ones and repair bills mounts quicker.

If your finances are tight (trying to stay under $5k and not the extra $2-3k for 03 or newer one) I'd say pretty good DYI ability is a must for any year you buy. The basic maintenance items are already fairly expensive and will eat $2-$3k quickly if you take it to dealer or even indy. Even then, major transmission work and bad leaking angle gear might be beyond most DYIer.

This car isn't your low maintenance indestructible old Volvo that you remember.

GS340
11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I have an 2001 XC with 129k miles. I purchased the car used with 66k miles back in 2007. She has been a great car. The only Major issue i've had is with the AC. I had to replace the compressor.

Other then that. I've put on two sets of tires, t-stat replaced, had the turbo valve replace, PCV valve replace (stalling issue) and 100k mile maintenance done. Timing belt, plugs, etc.. etc..

I wouldn't consider the car a money pit... I have a VW that is a money pit.