PDA

View Full Version : Nokian or Michelin one more time

davew
11-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I am one the fence about putting on Michelin Harmony's on or Nokian WRG2.
There is a difference in money, but I have have a feeling it might be worth it.
I am looking for wear, traction wet and dry , and quietness . Any inputs pro and con is appreciated. Thanks [happy]

RockitShip
11-21-2009, 02:54 PM
You're in Kentucky which doesn't see a lot of snow, plus you're other requirements...
wear, traction wet and dry , and quietness... I'd recommend The Miche's.

wiz
11-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I would agree, the Nokian WR G2 is definitely the tire of choice where there is a lot of snow, but where you live the Michelins seem a better choice. I looked up Consumer Reports and the Harmony isn't rated, probably because the Michelin Hydroedge was the top rated tire in the category. But the Hydroedge doesn't come in any size that is suitable for a 16" wheel. I think you'll do well with the Michelin Harmony, which comes in the OEM 215/65-16 size and has exactly the same Max Load rating as the OEM Scorpions.

I bought new tires recently and live in New England but didn't get the Nokians, because I live in an urban area that is ploughed quickly so I never have to deal with deep snow. I ended up getting Michelin Primacy tires in a 235/60-16 size. I bought mine in Costco which offered a huge reduction from the best the biggest local discount dealer could offer. If you live near a Costco, it's worth joining just to get their tire prices. [happy]

gibbons
11-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I just put some WRG2 on one of our Subarus for year round, with emphasis on bad weather. I have Hakka 2 snow tires on the XC, and am considering the Primacy's on it for summer (235/55-17) as the set we put on another of our Subarus did wonders for its summer personality. Wiz, how do you like them for an XC?

wiz
11-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Well going from the OEM Scorpions they are a big change, the biggest change perhaps being the reduction in noise level. A couple of days after they were installed we had a tremendous rainstorm here and I had the misfortune to be out in it on a highway. The car handled really well, absolutely no hydroplaning, ran as on rails between the lines (I could hardly see anything) and braking on flooded new tarmac was outstanding. So I got off to a good start with them. I've had them for a month now and overall I'm pretty happy with them - the ride is great, road handling and braking in the dry is excellent, they're nice and quiet and I'm expecting long tread life. What will be interesting is to see how they handle in the snow if we don't get ploughed quickly. :)

wiz
11-22-2009, 06:54 AM
@davew The reason the Michelin Harmony wasn't rated in the last round of CR testing is that the Harmony was on national back-order when it came to buying tires for the last round of tests. It's a very highly regarded tire from previous tests though.

Ozzie
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I have just installed WR G2 235 60R/16 XL's that replaced WR's with 37K. If I had no snow to deal with, I'd use the M"s

m8554
11-23-2009, 02:36 PM
I just had Michelin Harmonys installed on my wife's 2007 XC70, replacing the original Scorpions. They ride nice at highway speeds and are quiet. The only thing I thought would be better is slow speed driving over bumps in the road, such as manhole covers. This seems the same as the Scorpions. No snow yet in Connecticut to report on. I run 30 pounds of pressure in them, not the 36 pounds recommended on the door.

gibbons
11-23-2009, 07:52 PM
It snowed last night, my son came home all smiles after driving the WRG2's. By the way, they are quieter than the Bridgestone RE92 semi-summer tires they replaced. That's pretty impressive.

marcinrudzki
11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Do you have the SUV version of the WRG2's?

SkagSig40
11-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Also look at the Toyo Versado. I just bought a new set of 4 for my wifes 2004 XC70. They are extreemly quiet. I hear they do really good in snow but I have not had a chance to test them in snow. The price was also very good at $450 installed with fully warranty and future balance, rotations and repairs.

marcinrudzki
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Also look at the Toyo Versado. I just bought a new set of 4 for my wifes 2004 XC70. They are extreemly quiet. I hear they do really good in snow but I have not had a chance to test them in snow. The price was also very good at $450 installed with fully warranty and future balance, rotations and repairs.

What size did you get? Was it at Discount Tires?

SkagSig40
11-25-2009, 01:05 AM
What size did you get? Was it at Discount Tires?

I got them from Carl Duke Volvo repair in Fort Collins. He seems to have the best prices and does not charge for install or lifetime maintenance and repair. He charged me $106 per tire. He said the Nokian WR G2s were great too but he could not tell the dirrerence in performance and his price on the WR's were a little under $200 more total(IIRC around $630 or so out the door). My Size is 215/65/16.

davew
11-25-2009, 12:12 PM
[happy] I got the michelins and my volvo loves them. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I will get the mileage they are suppose to get.
Dave

marcinrudzki
11-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I got them from Carl Duke Volvo repair in Fort Collins. He seems to have the best prices and does not charge for install or lifetime maintenance and repair. He charged me $106 per tire. He said the Nokian WR G2s were great too but he could not tell the dirrerence in performance and his price on the WR's were a little under $200 more total(IIRC around $630 or so out the door). My Size is 215/65/16.

Thank you, Sir. Please report back after some driving on the snow.

KazDog
11-29-2009, 11:01 AM
A friend just put Hankook Optimo 4S 235-60 16 on her Kia Sportage and is pleased with quietness, ride handling, noise and wet weather traction. If I had known about these tires sooner I might have gone with them, a little cheaper than Nokians and rated for snow.

Interesting winter tire article http://www.wheels.ca/article/782238

Josh775
12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Tiresbyweb.com has a discount posted on their youtube page

WINTER10

that gives a $40 discount off a set of 4 nokian tires ($10 per tire)

PierreC
12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Installed Micheline Latitude in standard size 30.000 km ago and they are fantastic!

wiz
12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Well we had a couple-three inches of snow in Boston last night and my Michelin Primacy tires did OK. There's a pretty steep hill near where I live where cars burn rubber all winter long and I stopped my XC in the deepest snow I could find on it. I stepped on the accelerator, the front lifted and the back dug in and off I went :) so at least for moderate snow these Michelins do pretty well. Will try them out again when we get some proper snow later this winter.

RockitShip
12-07-2009, 01:45 AM
I have had them on my A4 since summer and got to test them with snow
last night... some snow, mostly icy conditions (after plowing) on the highway
and they were excellent, no loss of traction whatsoever.

I am very impressed!

This thread should become a tire sticky or something.

Roselake
12-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyone try Micheline Destiny tires? We are in northern MI, (lower peninsula) do mostly rural driving, lots of snow in the winter and we have a VERY steep driveway. Today I didn't make it over the crest of it, slid backwards out of control, ended up in the snow bank, hung up on a downed tree branch that DH forgot to clear out, had a 6 inch "stump" under the car, had to have a friend cut it out with a chain saw, before my car could be pulled out. No damage to the car that I know of. Our Hankooks have only 30K on them, but aren't worth a toot on our challenging driveway. I read a couple of reviews on and Destiny's, they were rated pretty good, only one review by a Volvo owner, but he liked the tires so well, he put them on all of his cars, including his wife's Volvo. Want to make a decision my Monday, all input us appreciated. I can get a set out the door at Discount tire for $546.00.

wiz
12-10-2009, 09:15 PM
The Michelin Destiny is not rated in Consumer Reports. I think it may be a special made for Discount Tire only. My quick reading on Google is that it is the same tire as the Michelin Harmony discussed earlier in this thread. You might want to check with your tire dealer on this.

kbdixon
12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
I have run 4 sets of BF Goodrich Traction TA 235/60-16 great tires even in semi deep snow here in the Northeast.
KD

davew
12-14-2009, 12:17 AM
I really like my harmonys

tinnette
12-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Hey, Everyone.

I need some help in replacing the tires on my 04 XC-90. My husband was researching what tires to buy, but he died unexpectly in Mid-October. It seems to me that he was looking at the Yohohama. I know that he was going to buy them online and have a local dealer install them. I live in the Kansas City area where we do have snow and ice. The Volvo currently has 32K miles on it. I plan to keep this baby for a very long time. This will be the first time in over 30 yrs that I have had to make the choice for tires. I have been following the threads on tires, but it seems everyone has a different view on tires.
1. Is there a huge difference between the Nokian and Yohohama?
2. How do I know which size I need?
3. What do you think about buying them online and having a local dealer install them>

Any help is WELCOME!!

Thanks in advance,

Mary

colin
12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I have used Yokahama snow tires on my X-Terra and they were awesome in the snow not quite so much so on ice. Currently I am running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R winter tires on the Volvo and so far they have been absolutely terrific in snow/ice/cold. (of which we have had more than our share of recently) As far as I am aware Yokahama does not make a winter rated all-season like Nokian does.
I had Nokian WR on previously and they were good for all year use although the winter dedicated Hak is better for the cold/snow.

The size you need is listed on the door frame or check the sidewall of your current tires.

Buying online can save money but some dealers will just charge extra to install them so you often don't save much. The place I buy tires installs for free and they also offer unlimited balancing and repair when I buy from them.

Forkster
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Mary,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your XC90 has two sizes - 235/65R17 and 235/60R18 - you can see that size on the tire or on the door frame - it's hard to miss as it's a white 2"x3" sticker.

If you want good all-year tires, Nokian WR's are superb. Seeing that you live in Kansas City, you live in a fairly temperate climate - not much snow or freezing temperatures - an ALL WEATHER tire is ideal. If you do a fair amount of driving in snow/colder areas, I would recommend getting any Nokian, or brand-name winter tire.

One final point - our XC's are good in the snow as long as you're not running slicks or bald tires. Using a dedicated winter tire is recommended if you live where I do - Calgary Alberta Canada where it regularly gets below -20F on a regular basis for months on end.

tinnette
12-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the responses!!
I have it narrowed down to the Yohohama(which my local dealer can order) and the Nokian WR G2 which I can get online for slighly more $$, have them shipped for free and then installed. I have the 235/65R/17.
I see that many XC 90 owners have had trouble with their tires wearing unevenly, but I guess I have been lucky since mine are in decent shape after 38K.
Who knew there were SO many tire choices!! LOL

Happy Holidays to all!!

Mary

Forkster
12-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I would go with the Nokian WR G2 - they are hands-down a much better tire than the Yokohama.

Jorge-789995
12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your husband. I just got a set of WR G2's from tiresbyweb.com They shipped free to my installer. I get them installed today. You can save an additional $40 on a set if you use the coupon code WINTER10 when ordering. Check them out. I first heard about them through another post here, then I watched a few video's about Nokians posted by tiresbyweb. Do a search on Youtube for them if you want to view the videos.

Good luck,

tinnette
12-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I got the Nokian WR G2. I also ordered them from tiresbyweb. I missed the coupon, but they were almost the same price + free shipping.

What an experience!! I probably made it harder than I should have , but I feel good about the choice. Snow today and the next week so I should get a chance to try them out.
I hope that your wives are not ever in this situation, but if they are I hope they have someone like you all to help them too.
I can't say thank you enough!!

Mary

m8554
12-20-2009, 01:40 PM
We got a foot of snow last night. This was the first test of the Michelins in the snow. It was like driving on dry pavement. Even from a stop on a steep, snow packed hill, I could not get the tires to spin. Stopping was no different. The Harmonys are a great tire for this car.